Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: We can't comply, it's too expensive!

Remember that our CongressCritters pretty much get to specify how and under what conditions our military gets to spend money. Depending on how the appropriations bills have been written, money may or may not have been included for ADS upgrade/integration when it should have been. Inter program transfers do happen, but there is lots to deal with to make it go thru. While it is being pushed as a worldwide solution, only the US and some European countries have even adopted ADS standards so far.

I agree with Craig as far as the installation goes. A C-130 Hercules has plenty of room to mount an ADSB-out box. If there is a problem. All a PIC has to do is pull the circuit breaker and write up a report. The plane can be repaired overnight and go on with its mission the next day. As far as F-16, F-22, and F-35's go. Well space is a problem for them. But they will not have the large box that GA aircraft owners have to install on their planes. I know this because I am installing my ADSB- out and in box in my Piper. The manufacturers are busy now making a smaller box for military type aircraft. Which I think will have an cockpit switch for the pilot to turn the ADBS box on/off before he flys into a war zone. The military has had a long while to go over all the pro's and con's of ADSB and go to the manufacturers with their requirements. This brings up another subject. Why have the manufacture's not gone to the FAA and told them it is going to take longer to make the military the boxes built to their requirements for their fighters to use? Interesting question isn't it. I have not seen anything on any site about this issue. So here we go, again. More things to talk about with ADSB out/in technology. Anybody out there want to add their 2 cents to this website on this issue. I want to hear from others about this. Good luck to all and especially the "early-in's" that are installing their boxes before the deadline. Like I have chose to do. Later, wx.

Quote Originally Posted by wxbrieferz001 View Post
    More things to talk about with ADSB out/in technology. Anybody out there want to add their 2 cents to this website on this issue. I want to hear from others about this. Good luck to all and especially the "early-in's" that are installing their boxes before the deadline. Like I have chose to do. Later, wx.
    Correct me if I am wrong but hasn't the FAA suspended implementation of ADS B "IN" ??

UPS announced recently that they will disconnect/remove all ADS B "IN" equipment from their fleet by mid-summer, partly due to lack of FAA mandate.

The US Airlines have filed a petition with the FAA asking for a five year extension to meet the deadline. They claim that hardware will not be available to equip all the airline fleet by 2020.