Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Well, is it time to start the thread of what band will play opening day yet?

As long as we're talking music, and this in not exactly right on thread, I absolutely hate it when the singers mutilate our national anthem. Someone hires a rock or country star (half of which can't hold a tune in a paper bag) who then proceed to put their personal mark on the song by jumping on and off key. Sporting events or the NASCAR circuits seem to manage to find the worst. While we're about it I often notice folks still walking around or not standing when the national anthem is being played at Oshkosh too. I think I remember reading once that Bob Hoover told a couple of young girls to "get up and be proud of your country" or some words to that effect. There..... my rant for the day. As far as bands go for the event I don't have an opinion as I never attend the concert. I'm more into flying machines which is what Oshkosh used to be about.
    If God had intended man to fly He would have given us more money!

Actually, Oshkosh has had very little (if any) of such mutilation. As for people not standing (or at least being quiet) during the National Anthem, such is the society we live in. It's impolite, but it's not illegal. I try to set a good example, I'm usually doing crowd control during the airshow. The announcers do their best to get people to notice the anthem is started.

I learned the hard way having worked as a civilian on an army installation not to ignore things when they start playing "colors" in the evening as well.

Back in my day (I'm old) we used to have "Call to the Colors" at the opening of the assembly at school. We also sang along with the band when the national anthem was played. Such as it was in the 1950's but the rest I learned during my Air Force days.
    If God had intended man to fly He would have given us more money!

I see less and less of that mutilation. After the rather appalling rendition done by "Jewell" at the Superbowl one year, even the NFL has come around. Pop singer she may be, I thought Lady Ga Ga did a great job with it this year. As far as Oshkosh goes, I agree that the real problem is just getting people to pay attention, rather than deliberate disrespect.

Shiny object diversionary story. During my tours in Germany during the Cold War, whenever we had some sort of allied event, the US Army band would play the German National Anthem and the Bundeswehr band would play ours. Curiously, I always thought that each did a better job of playing the other's anthem than they did their own.
    Chris Mayer
    N424AF
    www.o2cricket.com

Quote Originally Posted by L16 Pilot View Post
    While we're about it I often notice folks still walking around or not standing when the national anthem is being played at Oshkosh too. I think I remember reading once that Bob Hoover told a couple of young girls to "get up and be proud of your country" or some words to that effect.
    How many of those people are from other countries? Not all countries share America's obsession with patriotism.

When in Rome...

When in another country, when something patriotic is done, I stand in respect for the country I am in. It is being a polite guest. Is it unreasonable for those from another country to be polite guests in ours?

With regard to standing for an national anthem, that is NOT unique American patriotism. That is common practice. You want to see fanatic patriotism out of almost any country? Experience the World Cup.
    Chris Mayer
    N424AF
    www.o2cricket.com

Quote Originally Posted by Mayhemxpc View Post
    When in Rome...

When in another country, when something patriotic is done, I stand in respect for the country I am in. It is being a polite guest. Is it unreasonable for those from another country to be polite guests in ours?

With regard to standing for an national anthem, that is NOT unique American patriotism. That is common practice. You want to see fanatic patriotism out of almost any country? Experience the World Cup.
    In Ireland a couple of years back, some music started playing and everyone stood up. One guy wearing a beret held a salute. I arose and braced to attention.

The interesting thing was, this wasn't a game or other public event. This was a pub. Wasn't even closing time, just the band shutting down for the night.

Was it the Irish national anthem? Could be, I didn't recognize it.

Earlier in the night, people had stood when another song played. The guy in the beret didn't salute, though. That one I recognized: "Those were the days, my friend," a pop song from the '60s. Turned out it was the fight song for a local sports team....

Ron "Pint 'o Guinness, mate" Wanttaja

Quote Originally Posted by Mayhemxpc View Post
    After the rather appalling rendition done by "Jewell" at the Superbowl one year, even the NFL has come around. Pop singer she may be, I thought Lady Ga Ga did a great job with it this year.
    I didn't see either Jewell or Ga Ga, since I haven't watched the Super Bowl for several decades. But a few years ago U wasn't able to avoid hearing Roseanne Barr's rendition at a baseball game. I thought at the time she should have been banned from ever being anywhere near a mic or a camera again. (But then I thought that about Roseanne before I heard her "sing".)

Dave

Jimmy Buffett! An old geezer for sure but the younger folks still seem to dig him. And he's an aviation buff!

Buffett would be great but even Ford isn't going to pay that much. Most of the top touring acts are getting between $100,000-$300,000 a show. Or more in some instances, believe it or not. That's why we will always see a second tier or retread from the past. That's OK though. I rarely stay for their show anyway. Food is calling to strongly by then.