Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Well, is it time to start the thread of what band will play opening day yet?

Well, is it time to start the thread of what band will play opening day yet?

I'm always up for a good round of speculation.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Steber View Post
    I'm always up for a good round of speculation.
    Doesn't really matter to me. The band plays while the field is still open which means I'll usually be standing out in the middle of taxiway Papa while they're on. I hear some of it as it drifts down from whatever they call the west ramp this time.

We enjoy the concerts. I thought Dierks put on an awesome show last year and it was great to have a contemporary artist rather than a retread band off the old geezer tour.
    Todd “I drink and know things” Stovall
    PP ASEL - IA
    RV-10 N728TT - Flying
    EAA Lifetime Member
    WAR DAMN EAGLE!

I haven t been to a concert yet. Usually see it from the front of a John Deere tractor/tram while trying not to run anyone over.

Bill L

I remember at Oshkosh '77, Paul thought it would be a lot of fun to have a polka band play one evening, so he hired Lawrence Welk's band. Sure it was expensive, but it was for all the EAAer's who like polka dancing, which turned out to be Paul, his wife, and their daughter. Yep, three people danced, and about fifteen people sat and listened. So I recommend to NOT get a polka band this year. Maybe they could get the Milwaukee Symphony Orchestra up, now they can really put on a show and they have no performances scheduled for the end of July!

I still kind of miss the Kids from Wisconsin. I thought maybe with Glee popularizing show choirs that we might bet them back, but I guess the Geriatric Rock Band crowd won out.

Gosh, yeah! They were great! I suppose they'd be considered too wholesome by todays standards, though. T&A wasn't in their DNA.

They still exist, are still based out of the Milwaukee Fairgrounds, and...they have plenty of dates available during convention!

Who's the decision-maker for this? Someone in Oshkosh, or someone in Detroit? Do we really want someone who may have been drinking Flint water to be deciding who entertains us? Then again, with Oshkosh, we may get the polka band...

My other favorite Wisconsin group is out of Madison, Lou and Peter Berryman. I've been lobbying for years to get them back.

Pretty sure that Ford picks the opening night act. But after that, it might be EAA that does. Not sure. There is a really good band from Madison, WI called Steely Dane (as in "Dane County"). A Steely Dan tribute band. A friend of mine plays guitar for them. They do a lot of Summer outdoor shows including Summerfest in Milwaukee. Would be pretty cool to have them play as the chance to get Steely Dan is rather low. Quite honestly I don't usually stay for the concerts. I few I have, but I usually hit the road by 7:00 and drive back to Green Bay. One of the disadvantages of driving back and forth everyday.

I thought Dierks Bentley was a good choice last year and reflects the changing demographics of the EAA. Lets face facts, EAA needs new members to continue to thrive and this is just one of the ways of attracting people to Oshkosh. Now I wouldnt be too pleased if they went all out on one of these idiot pop stars that you see on TV now....