Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Why I've changed my mind on the new Youth Protection Policy

It just goes to show that the EAA is more interested in telling the membership what to do than listening to them.

Remember this when it comes time to vote, remember this when it comes time to renew. If I didn't have to be a member of the EAA to be in the IAC, I would not be a member of the EAA. They have LONG stopped caring about the membership and have shown their true colors.

The EAA might of once been a great organization, that time has clearly passed as it has become nothing more than AOPA light and an airshow.
    1996 Quad City Challenger CWS w/503 - Sold
    1974 7ECA Citabria - Sold
    1986 Pitts S1S

Quote Originally Posted by ssmdive View Post
    Remember this when it comes time to vote, remember this when it comes time to renew.
    You are apparently under the misconception that voting in the EAA carries any weight. Applicants for the board are screened by their connections and how much $$ they might be able to bring to the organization. If you aren't properly connected and/or can't bring in a lot of $$, you are politely thanked for trying, then told you don't stand a chance, so please go away. The only real say you have in the operation of the EAA is to decide to either pay your dues... or not.

-Cub Builder
    Last edited by cub builder; 03-18-2016 at 05:55 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by cub builder View Post
    You are apparently under the misconception that voting in the EAA carries any weight.
    especially true if one signed a proxy at renewal.

Quote Originally Posted by vaflier View Post
    Unfortunately the closing of the other thread has left a very bad taste in my mouth and I am sure that I am not alone. If honest open discussion to voice concerns is not allowed then there are much bigger problems in EAA than the poorly thought out Young Eagles Program. It would seem that those who have concerns and are asking for change have been none too politely told to , SHUT UP AND GO AWAY !. At least this was how I felt when I read the last post in that thread. I have been sitting on the fence and hoping sufficient changes to the new program would occur so that I could willingly support it. I think my mind has been made up for me. What a shame it is to witness the probable demise of such a great program.
    The decision to close the thread really comes back to what I posted. 70+ pages of content was leading to misunderstandings by those that started on page 1 and may have not gotten deep into the thread. We want to be responsible and understanding for those members that began quoting parts of the policy that have since changed or been revised.

Moderating such conversation is always a delicate balance. It wasn't meant to offend you, but to help keep the conversation about the current policy and avoid any misunderstanding that resulted from old information. We very much support constructive conversation here on the forums.

The Young Eagles program has been safe up until this point, and EAA is dedicated to keeping it that way for our volunteers, pilots, chapters and the organization as a whole. But most importantly, for the youth that participate.

Speaking personally, I hope you continue to participate. I encourage you to call EAA or if you would like me to help connect you with someone in our Young Eagles office I'd be happy to do that. It may help answer any lingering questions you have.

But in no way did we want you to feel like "shut up and go away." As I mentioned above, we encourage conversation but also acknowledge that the misinformation the thread was spreading about elements of the policy we've since worked to change and improve.

Hope that helps clear up the decision.
    Dennis
    Dennis Jenders, EAA #300475

Quote Originally Posted by lnuss View Post
    Emphasis mine.

To my mind, locking a 75 page thread while encouraging the use of other threads isn't a bad idea. 75 pages is awkward to roam through, not for adding a response or reading the latest post, but for trying to keep up with all that was said and continue making responses that are appropriate for that thread.
    This.

We didn't want to continue to confuse people more with the conversation there when it had contributed to changes in the policy. Just trying to manage misinformation and make it easier on anyone that was trying to start on page one.

Thanks for understanding,
    Dennis

Quote Originally Posted by martymayes View Post
    especially true if one signed a proxy at renewal.
    I never sign proxies. And if what Cub Builder said is true, that the BOD is a "good ol boys" network.... Then my thoughts about the EAA are on target.

djenders - "The Young Eagles program has been safe up until this point, and EAA is dedicated to keeping it that way for our volunteers, pilots, chapters and the organization as a whole. But most importantly, for the youth that participate. "

No, it is pretty clear the BOD was only interested in acting like they were doing something than actually doing something. Further it is pretty clear the BOD was only concerned with protecting the children (noble) and the EAA and no one else.

"Speaking personally, I hope you continue to participate."

As I have asked several times without an answer. Why should I? What benefit is participating in your program? What benefit to ME is there in jumping through these worthless hoops? Where is MY protection from the EAA?

"But in no way did we want you to feel like "shut up and go away."

Then your delivery in the YEP was not the only error in communication the EAA has made.
    1986 Pitts S1S

Quote Originally Posted by ssmdive View Post

As I have asked several times without an answer. Why should I? What benefit is participating in your program? What benefit to ME is there in jumping through these worthless hoops? Where is MY protection from the EAA?
    Obviously I haven't met you in person (yet), but it is clear you are very passionate about the organization and your involvement. Speaking from the heart, it's the folks like you that have drawn me to EAA for the last 30 years. It is the reason I attend AirVenture, the reason I became a member, and now the reason I work for the organization. It an absolutely amazing feeling when you see the passion come together every summer, at chapter meetings, or YE rallies. I am so proud to be a part of it.

A message board isn't always the best form of communication. I think that is why many of us have continued to encourage the members to call and talk to someone. I can truly say that many have, and it has helped them understand our reasoning, and has helped us better understand your frustration.

I don't think the benefits of participating has truly changed. Yes we are asking for volunteers to complete the check. But I do hope the passion you have for flying, and for sharing that with a younger generation is still there. Everyone here means well, EAA included. Speaking for myself, and not the organization, I don't think the background check is worthless. And I don't think EAA feels that way either.

I play out the worst case scenario, a child being hurt... and the truth is even one is too many. It is unfortunate we live in a world where that can happen. But saying we want to prevent that doesn't mean we devalue your privacy or the security of your information. Because we do care about that, as well as protecting our chapters and volunteers.

I can't say one incident or lawsuit would completely ruin the program or EAA. But I don't think it is a risk any organization can take when children are involved.

So maybe that helps you understand my personal feelings a little more. Let me ask you this, would you be willing to talk with someone at HQ? I'd be happy to set it up. Not because I don't value the conversation here, but it is clear I can't possibly address everything you are feeling with just another forum post.

I do care about how you are feeling about the policy. I just don't think another post from me will solve how you feel. So that is why I offer connecting you with someone here. I can send you a DM if you want to connect.

Best,
    Dennis

Quote Originally Posted by djenders View Post
    Obviously I haven't met you in person (yet), but it is clear you are very passionate about the organization and your involvement. Speaking from the heart, it's the folks like you that have drawn me to EAA for the last 30 years.
    Shame that you are pushing us away.

A message board isn't always the best form of communication. I think that is why many of us have continued to encourage the members to call and talk to someone
    Well, I have sent emails and have not gotten a response. So I guess Email is a bad form as well? Fact is I like controversial communications in WRITING. It allows the person to explain a position without being cut off, it makes the other person listen to the end instead of just waiting to reply, and it puts down EXACTLY what was communicated so there can be no "That is not what I said".

I am not afraid of putting my issues out on paper for everyone to read. I stand by my words.

I don't think the benefits of participating has truly changed. Yes we are asking for volunteers to complete the check. But I do hope the passion you have for flying, and for sharing that with a younger generation is still there.
    You have failed to answer why I need the EAA to do that. Or what benefit there is for me to do this inside the framework of the YE program.

Everyone here means well, EAA included.
    The EAA seems more interested in protecting itself than the members. The EAA is putting requirements that are questionable in effectiveness onto the members and the only group that gets protection from this is the EAA HQ.

I play out the worst case scenario, a child being hurt... and the truth is even one is too many.
    One child getting hurt is too many? Better shut down the whole YE program. You know people have DIED right?

http://www.buffalonews.com/city-regi...aster-20140927

Let me ask you this, would you be willing to talk with someone at HQ? I'd be happy to set it up. Not because I don't value the conversation here, but it is clear I can't possibly address everything you are feeling with just another forum post.

I do care about how you are feeling about the policy. I just don't think another post from me will solve how you feel. So that is why I offer connecting you with someone here. I can send you a DM if you want to connect.

Best,
    Dennis
    I'd prefer all communications to be out in the open and available for everyone to read and see. Anyone from HQ is free to reply to me, on here, and answer any questions. In fact, I WELCOME the opportunity.

There is no reason someone at HQ should have to have this conversation more than once. No reason for any of this discussion to not be available to ALL members to read and comment on.

If HQ wants to talk.... I'll be right here waiting.
    1986 Pitts S1S

And waiting, and waiting, and waiting!!