Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Better aircraft fabric

Quote Originally Posted by 1600vw View Post
    The Belite that is covered in oratex had a hard off field landing. Doing this caused some of this oratex to rip. I asked this man if those rips or tears, if you tried to rip it more did it tear or rip easy. He said it rips or tears easy after the first tear or rip. Not good..

Tony
    The "hard off field landing" ended in trees and totally destroyed one wing and twisted the fuselage into a pretzel, ripped one gear off; look at the pictures!!! Oratex does not fail from Hard Landings... Ask the builder what he is using on the rebuild please.

I'm just catching up. Please consider that I am using the Oratex 600 lightweight fabric on my Belite Ultracub, and as such it should be compared to 1.7 ounce Ceconite. An aircraft covered with Oratex 6000 is dang near bulletproof as shown in the videos Lars has posted of attempts to rip through the fabric with a hammer. I put some sample Oratex 600 and Oratex 6000 on a couple 1ft x 1ft frames to learn how to apply the material, then later did my own tests for destruction. To this day I have not been able to punch through the 6000 fabric, but one good hard punch with my fist went through the 600. Try that with the Dacron used for MX ultralights, I suspect you'll get the same results.

I fully intend to cover my plane with Oratex again, I'm thoroughly sold (and this time I will not be painting the fabric to save weight).

Quote Originally Posted by Scoundrel View Post
    I'm just catching up. Please consider that I am using the Oratex 600 lightweight fabric on my Belite Ultracub, and as such it should be compared to 1.7 ounce Ceconite. An aircraft covered with Oratex 6000 is dang near bulletproof as shown in the videos Lars has posted of attempts to rip through the fabric with a hammer. I put some sample Oratex 600 and Oratex 6000 on a couple 1ft x 1ft frames to learn how to apply the material, then later did my own tests for destruction. To this day I have not been able to punch through the 6000 fabric, but one good hard punch with my fist went through the 600. Try that with the Dacron used for MX ultralights, I suspect you'll get the same results.

I fully intend to cover my plane with Oratex again, I'm thoroughly sold (and this time I will not be painting the fabric to save weight).
    My comment was not about how tough the stuff is. But about how easy it tears once torn. But the key word is "easy". I have never seen this stuff in person so I had to ask. If it offends anyone that I did ask. To bad.

Tony Sweet

Quote Originally Posted by Lars Gleitsmann View Post
    The "hard off field landing" ended in trees and totally destroyed one wing and twisted the fuselage into a pretzel, ripped one gear off; look at the pictures!!! Oratex does not fail from Hard Landings... Ask the builder what he is using on the rebuild please.
    Well, I'd consider that a very hard landing!

The opinions and statements of this poster are largely based on facts and portray a possible version of the actual events.

Quote Originally Posted by 1600vw View Post
    My comment was not about how tough the stuff is. But about how easy it tears once torn. But the key word is "easy". I have never seen this stuff in person so I had to ask. If it offends anyone that I did ask. To bad.

Tony Sweet
    Hi Tony, I would really like to send you some samples so you can see it for yourself and "play with it". The Material is so very different that it is hard to believe without having it in your hand, that is no question. I also be glad to talk. Feel free to call me at 907 229 6792 anytime. I thought you had been at Jim's wreck and looked at it. Let us show you the Oratex. Best Regards from Alaska, Lars