Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Hangar questions for vintage owners

Still looking at this project. Would love to hear any additional input from other members.

After talking with various companies, it appears that the most common stand alone hangar is 48x48x16 (44x15 door).

One more question; Which airports would be good models for this kind of project? I'm thinking something like Brodhead Wisconsin, any others?

Since you are speaking of creating multiple lots, it is worth your time to stop by the building inspector's office and see what the code really says. Each municipality can adopt parts of, but not the entire, model building code (IRC, IBC, etc.). Your locale may not have adopted any part that speaks to residential airplane hangars. If they have not, then you are not size limited into "commercial". Do not assume, check.

In my locale, I went to the building inspector and filled out the permit application. No box for "airplane hangar" on the form so I checked "Barn". Handed over a set of Erect-A-Tube blueprints with their engineer's stamp on them. 48'x48' all steel "Barn" with a 47' wide bifold door. No problem with inspections.

Now your locale may be different than mine or not. An "airplane hangar" is really just a machinery storage building with an expensive door. And if the use will be non-commercial, then you can represent that it is just a large "accessory use" building. It is in your interest to talk down the contents and speak to the lowest common denominator description.

Also check zoning. Is the real estate zoned commercial? If not, then I would use that point to say the buildings are not commercial. Can't be since zoning does not allow.

So check the details and try the easy route first.

Best of luck,

Wes