Thread: Buying a project

Question Buying a project

I can't believe I'm saying this, but I am considering a project. It is more than 50% complete, so I can't meet the 51% rule. How would registration work?

Quote Originally Posted by Ernie View Post
    I can't believe I'm saying this, but I am considering a project. It is more than 50% complete, so I can't meet the 51% rule. How would registration work?
    Even if YOU don't do 51% of the work, as long as amateurs do 51% of the work (as defined in the 51% rule), the airplane can meet the 51% requirement and be registered as an EAB. You simply need documentation from the prior owner(s) that he/she/they were amateur builders and were building for education and recreation. Then, whatever work they did applies to the 51% rule, and you add in whatever work you do, and voila, compliance.

Why can't you meet the rule? You don't have to personally do 51% of the fabrication and assembly.

It's 51% of the tasks that have to be performed for educational or recreational purposes. Note that this may not be 51% of the hours put in on the plane. And as stated, the 51% is aggregate across the entire aircraft (not just any one builder).

Thanks for the education. That makes EAB for this project a slam dunk.

Question....couple actually:

How many uncompleted projects are out there, that have changed hands and the build logs were either lost, destroyed, or misplaced, and someone buys it in hopes of getting it flying? What is a guy to do in this case? I have seen many kits out there that have been sold in cases very similar to this and wonder how they were able to get an AW and the repairmans certificate.

What sort of documentation is need to prove that someone build it for education or recreational purposes? Would a notarized letter from them stating such be sufficient?

If someone buys a project from, for instance, an estate where there is little to any documentation on the original builder, one just needs to get a notarized letter saying it was build by someone for educational and recreational purposes?

I suspect if you buy a nearly completed project the repairmen certificate may be tough. But there are more knowledgeable people here.

Quote Originally Posted by WWhunter View Post
    Question....couple actually:

How many uncompleted projects are out there, that have changed hands and the build logs were either lost, destroyed, or misplaced, and someone buys it in hopes of getting it flying?
    lots...?

What is a guy to do in this case? I have seen many kits out there that have been sold in cases very similar to this and wonder how they were able to get an AW and the repairmans certificate.
    In most cases anything is possible. I think most DARs and PMI's offer guidance how to do it instead of telling you that it can't be done so in the end it's up to the builder.

What sort of documentation is need to prove that someone build it for education or recreational purposes? Would a notarized letter from them stating such be sufficient?

If someone buys a project from, for instance, an estate where there is little to any documentation on the original builder, one just needs to get a notarized letter saying it was build by someone for educational and recreational purposes?
    Just remember you're dealing with the gov. and there is no such thing as "too much documentation"

I suspect if you buy a nearly completed project the repairmen certificate may be tough. But there are more knowledgeable people here.
    The AWC application process with its associated major portion rule (aka the 51% rule) and the Repairman's Certificate process are parallel but not linked. You can set a single rivet on a given project and still be eligible to get the Repairman's Certificate if you can demonstrate to the issuing FSDO that you possess adequate airframe and powerplant knowledge. IOW the amount of work is irrelevant for eligibility purposes.
    Todd “I drink and know things” Stovall
    PP ASEL - IA
    RV-10 N728TT - Flying
    EAA Lifetime Member
    WAR DAMN EAGLE!

Thanks guys! I am in possesion of just such a project and had considered parting it out but the fact is, it is so close to flying I would hate to tear it apart. I'll have to try and find a DAR up here in the frozen north country to discuss it further. I have some knowledge already having gotten a 'hard' landing plane up and flying with new landing gear, prop, new cylinders and pistons, etc. Also started construction on another metal high wing 'bush' type plane. All these should have a little bearing on getting approval....I hope.