Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Camp Scholler newbie questions

Camp Scholler newbie questions

I'm new to RVing and I have a couple of questions about staying at Camp Scholler.

It sounds like most sites don't have hookups and that there are restrictions on generators. I obviously can't run the A/C off the battery so am I just going to be hot unless I'm one of the lucky ones with a hookup? My fifth-wheel doesn't have a generator. I can get one if I need to but it's not going to help if it's hot/humid during quiet hours.

The Camp Scholler website says "Advance purchase provides the convenience of express registration at the campground entrance" which basically sounds like faster check-in. Do I need to make reservations way in advance or can I just reserve a few days before I arrive? Basically, does it fill up or can I procrastinate and play it by ear?

It says "all days must be purchased from the time of purchase through Sunday, July 31." If I leave before July 31, do I get a refund on unused days?

Are there any pull-through spaces?

Thanks,

-Paul

Hi Paul,

There are no pull throughs, but there are utility sites (back in). They cost twice the normal rate though, and they go quickly. So you'll want to reserve early. You will have to pay from the time of your reservation through the end of the show (min 3 days). But if you leave early, they'll refund the difference on the way out.

Beyond that, there is a 24-hour generator section, but since I've not camped there, I'm not sure how big it is or how many units it will hold. But that's your other option if utility camping is unavailable.

I've dry camped every year since starting there, so I'm used to it now :-)
    Christopher Owens (EAA #808438, VAA #723276)
    Germantown, WI
    Bearhawk Plans #991, Bearhawk Patrol Plans #P313

IMO you really won't need to run your a/c at night so don't sweat not getting one of the 24hr gen sites. The overwhelming majority in RV's, 5th wheels and campers aren't in the 24hr section and survive the experience just fine. We tent camp and I can tell you a/c at night is a non-issue. During the day however......
    Todd “I drink and know things” Stovall
    PP ASEL - IA
    RV-10 N728TT - Flying
    EAA Lifetime Member
    WAR DAMN EAGLE!

Todd is right about the need for A/C at night "most" of the time. I have camped in the 24 hour gen area for almost 30 years, I like the option of being able to run my generator during the day and if night if needed. So it might be worth it to bring a generator if you can, and there is a big enough area that finding a spot there is no issue, just my 2 cents.
    Glenn Brasch
    KRYN Tucson, Arizona
    2013 RV-9A
    Medevac helicopter pilot (Ret)
    EAA member since 1980
    Owner, "Airport Courtesy Cars" website.
    www.airportcourtesycars.com
    Volunteer Mentor www.SoAZTeenAviation.org

I haven't camped at the big show, but for another data point I was wondering if it's likely to be able to get a site with electricity later in the week. Generally I think Wednesday is the peak day for airplanes on the aerodrome. Is that the same for campers? Are there people who leave mid-week allowing a move? Although I would think most people would stay put once they're unpacked.

How would people be chosen to move if there's high demand? Do new arrivals get priority, or can people shift? I can try to get one of those Hillary / Iowa caucus coins to toss to give me an advantage.

It sounds like you guys are Camp Scholler pros! If there are any questions that can't be answered here feel free to contact Liesl Wrolstad at lwrolstad@eaa.org.

This is great information. Thanks for your replies.

-Paul

Since I camp with my airplane, I have only visited Scholler when friends were camped there. But OSH weather is OSH weather no matter where you are. In many years of attending all week long, I've only wished for AC one night, after one day of over 100F daytime temps. Otherwise, on warmer nights, I have an overhead fan in my tent, which has proven completely adequate--in fact, there have been nights in which I got up and turned it off.

Cary
    "I have slipped the surly bonds of earth...,
    put out my hand and touched the face of God." J.G. Magee

Probably should start a new thread for this, but it is related. I am thinking of camping this year but have no idea how sites are determined. I've walked around in Scholler and other than the sites with electric and water, I see no markings what so ever as to where one site starts and the the other leaves off. How does one determine how much space is their site?

Info here: https://www.eaa.org/en/airventure/pl.../camp-scholler

Generally, the unimpoved spots are just grabbed first come, first served. Some people tape off their area, some just figure you know what they're using by what they have set up.

The hookup spots and the group areas are indeed preallocated.

The prime spots typically go as soon as the campground officially opens (June 24) this year.