Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: H.B 4441, FAA Reauthorization Act (Including PBOR-2)

That's good. So does that mean you will stop publishing articles by former Editors-in-Chief which apparently *support* privatization?

So now the EAA is opposed to H.B.4441 which includes the PBOR-2 if I understand correctly. That puts the EAA in a no win situation so instead of taking it out on the EAA, why not put your efforts to contacting the Speaker of the House, Paul Ryan who happens to be from Wisconsin, and get after him about attaching the Senate's stand alone bill to a House bill that will not pass. And contact your House Representative and give him/her an earful-not that it will do any good but you might feel better. I for one am completely disgusted with our current political system and gridlock.
    Loren Sievila
    N331EX

Quote Originally Posted by rv builder View Post
    If you're opposed to ATC privatization and/or user fees, then you should ensure that your organization presents a unified front, in all forums and all media, not some mishmash of opinions both opposing and supporting it.
    The EAA is going to have a tough time standing up against user fees. They tried it once, but as soon as the FAA threatened to tie up Oshkosh over paying fees for the control tower, the EAA capitulated, paid the user fees, quietly dropped their law suit and hasn't said a peep about it since. The EAA already set the precedence for paying user fees and seems to be happy with their arrangement. Kind of hard to show a unified front against user fees when they have already surrendered and appear to support them.

Cub Builder

Quote Originally Posted by Onex33 View Post
    So now the EAA is opposed to H.B.4441 which includes the PBOR-2 if I understand correctly. That puts the EAA in a no win situation so instead of taking it out on the EAA, why not put your efforts to contacting the Speaker of the House, Paul Ryan who happens to be from Wisconsin, and get after him about attaching the Senate's stand alone bill to a House bill that will not pass. And contact your House Representative and give him/her an earful-not that it will do any good but you might feel better. I for one am completely disgusted with our current political system and gridlock.
    Loren Sievila
    N331EX
    Because it won't do any good? EAA is supposed to be the organization lobbying *for us*. I know they say "they're working on it" by attending hearings and such. I'd like to see more details...how about printing their daily schedule showing with whom they met, what they discussed, who they have on their side, who is against them, etc.? Give us some hard data to work with...then we can add to that by contacting the holdouts and pressuring them. All I've seen is platitudes and back-slapping Jim Inhofe (and it chaps my hide that he's the guy we're relying on...I won't post what I think of him and his less-than-stellar aeronautical skills, let alone anything else about him).

Medical reform was, until this apparently annual attempt at FAA privatization, one of if not the biggest issue for pilots across the nation. Can you honestly say that our organization has been in any way effective at getting it done? The FAA NPRM has been stuck at DOT or OMB or whatever for at least a year, the PBOR2 gives us basically nothing, and now this mess.

What, exactly, is EAA doing to a) get us REAL medical reform, and b) fight against privatization? "Attending hearings"? *I* could do that, and I bet it would have about the same effect.

Byron J. Covey
    Quote Originally Posted by rv builder View Post
    Because it won't do any good? EAA is supposed to be the organization lobbying *for us*. I know they say "they're working on it" by attending hearings and such. I'd like to see more details...how about printing their daily schedule showing with whom they met, what they discussed, who they have on their side, who is against them, etc.? Give us some hard data to work with...then we can add to that by contacting the holdouts and pressuring them. All I've seen is platitudes and back-slapping Jim Inhofe (and it chaps my hide that he's the guy we're relying on...I won't post what I think of him and his less-than-stellar aeronautical skills, let alone anything else about him).

Medical reform was, until this apparently annual attempt at FAA privatization, one of if not the biggest issue for pilots across the nation. Can you honestly say that our organization has been in any way effective at getting it done? The FAA NPRM has been stuck at DOT or OMB or whatever for at least a year, the PBOR2 gives us basically nothing, and now this mess.

What, exactly, is EAA doing to a) get us REAL medical reform, and b) fight against privatization? "Attending hearings"? *I* could do that, and I bet it would have about the same effect.
    Co-sponsoring a bill in Congress typically is not a commitment by the member to support the bill, to work for its passage, or even to vote for it if it is brought up for a vote. It usually is nothing more than checking a box to retain or gain the support of a small interest group for reelection. With very few exceptions, members fall in line behind their party's leaders, and take actions only to lambast the other party and to work toward sustaining or bettering the position of the party.

The executive branch is worse, and the judicial branch has become a political action committee.

If one wants things to be different, then one needs to work to elect different people into legislative and executive roles at all levels of government. The EAA does not represent enough votes or have enough money to have any substantive influence. Ergo, lots of talk, lots of hope and dreams, and, I believe, lots of well intended efforts by EAA employees, but no real progress.

I wish it were different, and I am resolved to continuing to vote to replace professional politicians with people who will actually represent the people.

BJC

Quote Originally Posted by Byron J. Covey View Post

I wish it were different, and I am resolved to continuing to vote to replace professional politicians with people who will actually represent the people.

I am with you on that, at least for the House of Representatives.

I think Congresspeople should be drawn by lottery from a jury that is hearing a capital crime.

One single two year term. If they are qualified to decide life or death, they are overqualified for Congress.

Ted

Well I doubt anything meaningful will come of the proposed PBOR. It was suggested that the change if it happens would result in a class 4 medical. I let my 3rd class lapse and just kept flying my RV-12 ELSA using my PPL and driver's license.

Does anyone really expect a Dr. to 'sign you off' and accept unknown liability? I doubt it.

So today I took the time to read the entire text of H.R. 4441, all 273 pages. So why is EAA and AOPA so fired up about this new "ATC Corporation" which will be run by a Board with equal representation from the Airlines and General Aviation? Below is a direct copy of the text related to fees.

‘‘§ 90311. Charges and fees for air traffic services

‘‘(4) Charges and fees may not be imposed forair traffic services provided with respect to—
    ‘‘(A) aircraft operations of piston engineaircraft; or
    ‘‘(B) noncommercial aircraft operations ofturbine engine aircraft.

Quote Originally Posted by Gunslinger37 View Post
    So today I took the time to read the entire text of H.R. 4441, all 273 pages. So why is EAA and AOPA so fired up about this new "ATC Corporation" which will be run by a Board with equal representation from the Airlines and General Aviation? Below is a direct copy of the text related to fees.

‘‘§ 90311. Charges and fees for air traffic services

‘‘(4) Charges and fees may not be imposed forair traffic services provided with respect to—
    Because, Dear Gunslinger, it's a trap, a slippery sloped trap. Certainly today they would offer us the freebie, but in the not too distant future you will find what was free is ridiculously priced. I have even heard of a few instances where the FAA has already sent GA drivers a bill for oceanic services.

Remember, what we are talking about here is The Commons.

Quote Originally Posted by Gunslinger37 View Post

And how many seconds would it take to change that after the program goes into effect? Also, the board does not have equal representation. It is biased toward the airlines and we know how much they love us.