Thread: Educating non-IFR pilots...

Educating non-IFR pilots...

So I was out at the airport mucking about with my analog basic six pack LSA compliant plane (which is good, since I'm a Sport Pilot) and saw a fellow with a big fancy Piper pulled out of his hangar waaayyy on the end of the field looking like he was fixing to do something aviation.

Naturally I walked down there and after introducing myself stood there in full doggie beg mode - eyes big, paws in front, panting - and asked where he was going.

"Just going up to do an approach."

[Whimper pant pant]

"Wanna ride along?"

[Woof! I mean, "yes, sir, that would be fine."]

So up we go in this Space Shuttle (meaning the avionics are a mish-mash of old and new) and Dave does an instrument approach after flying waaayyyy out there, talking me through the process and procedures.

Quite enlightening and worth more than your average "round the patch" ride. The pilot explained that he does at least one IFR approach and landing a month in good weather as insurance against when he might need to do one in bad weather, and for him it's as much fun as touch and goes in a Champ for me. Naturally he totally greased it in every way by hand, not using the autopilot gizmos.

Other than just filling up this forum, there's actually a point to this post.

For a Sport Pilot type like me I've been slightly mystified by folks flying in using IFR. While a good pilot will use distance and direction, some spout out waypoints (and I always come back and ask them where they are), but now at least I'll have a basic understanding of where they are and more importantly where to look for them in the air. And since it's published, I can look at the IFR pathways at frequently used airfields and put them in a mental map of the airspace.

So if you're instrument rated and are going up to shoot a landing, take along one of the low and slow VFR scrubs like me up with you. It just helps everyone out.
    The opinions and statements of this poster are largely based on facts and portray a possible version of the actual events.

Good for you! I take up VFR only pilots all the time as my safety pilot when it's VMC and I need to shoot practice approaches. FWIW when I make traffic calls on an approach whether I'm VFR or actually IFR I never reference a fix rather I give a direction and distance: " Podunk traffic bugsmasher 12345 is 10 Northeast on the GPS runway 5 approach, Podunk," or something to that effect.
    Todd “I drink and know things” Stovall
    PP ASEL - IA
    RV-10 N728TT - Flying
    EAA Lifetime Member
    WAR DAMN EAGLE!

Quote Originally Posted by Auburntsts View Post
    Good for you! I take up VFR only pilots all the time as my safety pilot when it's VMC and I need to shoot practice approaches. FWIW when I make traffic calls on an approach whether I'm VFR or actually IFR I never reference a fix rather I give a direction and distance: " Podunk traffic bugsmasher 12345 is 10 Northeast on the GPS runway 5 approach, Podunk," or something to that effect.
    Yep, this is the way to do it!
    The opinions and statements of this poster are largely based on facts and portray a possible version of the actual events.

Not to dash any hopes but a word on "Safety Pilots"...

If the Pilot in Command intends to put on a hood, the Safety Pilot must meet the requirements to be PIC of that aircraft!!!

Hence a Sport Pilot, like myself, can only be a Safety Pilot for someone in a LSA. Nor can a Recreational Pilot act as a Safety Pilot in a GA plane with 3 on board.

Short version, you can only act as a Safety Pilot in something you are Current and Qualified to act as PIC in.

And you must be where the controls are - can't be in the 2nd or 3rd row of seats (seat 2 OK in tandem)

Frank, this is absolutely a genus idea. I think it would make a great initiative for the IMC Club. Something like: "Invite your VFR friend for a flight". I hope you don’t mind I am going to steal it from you atsome point. Thank you!

Jim, I agree, but a practice (procedure practice) flight like this could be filed and it does not have to be under the hood. Of course it would not be logable but practicing procedures is (in my opinion) an important part of being proficient.