Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Would you use SIM for your training if none of your time in it was logable???

Would you use SIM for your training if none of your time in it was logable???

There is an ongoing discussion how much time should be allowed to log for instrument time in an approved advanced aviation training device (AATD) or in an approved basic aviation training device (BATD). Would you use any of those devices for your training or proficiency if none of the time was logable??

Nope. I got my ticket back in Nov 2014 and logged the max 14 hours in a Redbird FMX (AATD) towards the 35 hours total I had when I took my checkride (part141). The primary reason for using the Redbird was it was half the rental price of the G1000 172SP that I used for the airwork. If I couldn't log any of the sim then if I used it at all, which I doubt, I'd most likely would have used it to do some remedial work or some extra practice on my own.
    Todd “I drink and know things” Stovall
    PP ASEL - IA
    RV-10 N728TT - Flying
    EAA Lifetime Member
    WAR DAMN EAGLE!

Let’s say you have already used the max you can for your logable sim time and you need more learning to be done. You have a choice of 2hours in a SIM for $100/hour but it is not logable or… to get the same practice - 4 hours in an airplane for $230/hour… what would you do?
    Last edited by Glory Aulik; 02-03-2016 at 10:24 AM. Reason: Formatting

EAA Staff / Moderator Hal Bryan's Avatar
    I've always used desktop (non-approved) sims to enhance my proficiency. Any time I'd fly IFR (confession: haven't been IFR current in a few years), I'd spend a few hours on a sim the day before, shooting any approach I might reasonably expect to fly the next day. That made a huge difference in my comfort level and kept my skills much, much sharper than they might have been.
    Last edited by Hal Bryan; 02-03-2016 at 11:19 AM. Reason: Reworded a bit for clarity

Hal Bryan
    EAA Lifetime 638979
    Vintage 714005 | Warbirds 553527
    Managing Editor
    EAA—The Spirit of Aviation

Quote Originally Posted by Radek.cfi View Post
    Let’s say you have already used the max you can for your logable sim time and you need more learning to be done. You have a choice of 2hours in a SIM for $100/hour but it is not logable or… to get the same practice - 4 hours in an airplane for $230/hour… what would you do?
    First I'd look for something cheaper than $230/hr to train in. I was paying $160/hr for a G1000 172 and that was tough enough to swallow. But in this case, yes I'd opt for the Sim.
    Last edited by Auburntsts; 02-05-2016 at 04:21 PM.
    PP ASEL - IA
    RV-10 N728TT - Flying
    EAA Lifetime Member
    WAR DAMN EAGLE!

yes.

Quote Originally Posted by Auburntsts View Post
    First I'd look for something cheaper than $230/hr to train in. I was paying $160/hr for a G1000 172 and that was tough enough to swallow. But in this case I'd opt for the Sim.
    Todd, that $160/hr., was it with or without CFI? just curious.

Yes.

Recently was a safety pilot for a friend as he shot a few approaches. Got me thinking about getting IFR current again as my Flight Review this year. First thought was to jump in a sim and work on procedures, logging the time didn't even cross my mind till I saw this thread.
    John Smutny

Life is not a journey to the grave intending of arriving safely in a well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, used up, worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Damn, what a ride!

Todd, that $160/hr., was it with or without CFI? just curious.
    Without, so with the CFII's rate added in your $230 is comparable and makes sense now.
    PP ASEL - IA
    RV-10 N728TT - Flying
    EAA Lifetime Member
    WAR DAMN EAGLE!

There is an ongoing discussion how much time should be allowed to log for instrument time in an approved advanced aviation training device (AATD) or in an approved basic aviation training device (BATD). Would you use any of those devices for your training or proficiency if none of the time was logable??
    Yes. Currently doing instrument flight training "old school" with all logged training in the aircraft using VOR/ILS because that's the way the client wanted it. But we do run each airways and approaches lesson on Microsoft Flight Sim before flying it. Took a while to talk him into it but he finally saw how much more productive the flight time became. Nothing but the keyboard and mouse, we aren't flying the tabletop. Just learning the procedures and what the needles show. Pause button is a very valuable tool!

Your mileage may vary.