Thread: Buying a used Varieze

Buying a used Varieze

I have bought a used varieze, it is located in Canada, I'm not flying it down. (we will trailer it home)
    What I have discovered so far.
    It was made and registered in the US, once upon a time it had a N number, it was exported in 2003, and now will be imported back to the US.
    I have all the paper work that was used to build, and register, including the original letter of limitations.
    The Canadian owner will send Transport Canada the letter to de-register it from their data base. Then transport Canada will inform the FAA that it has been exported to the US. This allows the FAA to register it here.

Things I must do:
    Have the seller sign a bill of sale to me.
    request a N number (or maybe reinstate the old one) I'm not certain it is still available. place that on the aircraft.
    get it inspected as per the "Condition" inspection.
    request the FAA or a DAR to issue the Airworthiness certificate.

Here is the question.

Did I miss any thing ?
    Will I be required to fly off any time ? as in phase 1 testing?
    How do you get checked out in one? (you can't see anything from the rear seat)
    Any advice? I'm treading on unfamiliar ground.

How are the wing attach fittings? They have a history of corrosion problems.

Have you ever flown an EZe before? I've been in several and didn't like how any of them handled, and I'm not alone. I just figured that, after spending all that time and money building one, nobody was going to admit it handled poorly, and eventually sold it to someone who'd never flown one before...

To answer your questions: The airframe is proven, so there shouldn't be a test phase. Find a die-hard fan who will first test fly your bird for you, and then sit in the back seat while you fly from the front, after a very thorough briefing and discussion of what will be done on the checkride. He/she will have to trust you, if there are no rudder pedals for the back seat and something happens to you and you enter a spiral dive: you can't recover from it without rudder. Good luck and I hope you enjoy your new bird for many years!

Quote Originally Posted by crusty old aviator View Post
    I've been in several and didn't like how any of them handled, and I'm not alone.
    We all have our preferences? some are never pleased, some will like flying no matter what they fly.

Me? I'll learn and enjoy doing so.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Downey View Post
    Did I miss any thing ?
    Will I be required to fly off any time ? as in phase 1 testing?
    How do you get checked out in one? (you can't see anything from the rear seat)
    Any advice? I'm treading on unfamiliar ground.
    A) Don't think so.
    B) Shouldn't have to. HOWEVER, for all customers for whom I do a pre-buy, when purchasing a plans-built aircraft (all of which are different from every other plans-built aircraft on the planet, to one extent or another) I HIGHLY recommend performing an unofficial 40 hour Phase I period just as if you had built the plane and needed to fly off a test period. If you do so, then after the 40 hour period you will be completely familiar with the plane and have a much greater understanding of it's capabilities and limitations.
    C) Find someone with a COZY III or COZY MKIV who can give you transition training (I have done so for about 15 - 20 folks, and I know a few CFI's who can do so as well). While there are many folks who have "trained themselves" after just a talking to, getting real training increases the safety level substantially - there ARE differences in takeoff (PIO's) and landings (no real "flare") from aircraft with which you're most probably familiar.

Please contact me directly - I'd be very interested in knowing which VE you purchased (just having helped refurbish a Canadian VE a few months ago) and from whom you purchased it. I'd also be happy to help you get into the canardian community and find folks near you who can help with the CI and familiarization.

Thanks Marc, e-mail sent.