Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: ADS-B install

I never thought I'd be saying this but I bought an iPad mini. It can be returned for 2 weeks. I was thinking I would try some apps on both platforms and decide what to do.

Reading the link above to the Van's site where the FAA guy was sending the official pass/fail reports was a bit scary. But it seems like most of the problems were with interfacing to panel GPS and wired connections to transponders. I shouldn't have any of those issues. The only glitch I read that seemed like it could apply to me was someone who didn't have their WIFI module plugged in all the way. But I couldn't help but wonder how many hours of on the clock learning the early adopters of ADS-B paid for at their avionics shops.

I did spend some time looking for crimpers at steinair.com but I didn't see anything that I was sure was correct, except for the DSub pin insert/remove tool. I'm thinking I should call them today and see if they can guide me.

I think that's a great idea, to try options during a trial period. I'm happy with WingX, but what other apps have you found that work with the Navworx?

I suspect Steinair will be helpful on the phone. They're small enough they should actually answer their phone! Their ratcheting crimper frame SAT-001 plus BNC die SAT-031 worked for me. You'll need two of the sizes on the BNC die (which also works for TNC), size instructions come with the coax connectors. The 4-way indent crimper SAT-004 is a piece o' cake for DSub pins (actually they're sockets in this application, but they crimp the same). Experiment a bit at home on how far back to strip off the insulation and how firmly to squeeze the tool, and you'll quickly go into production and finish off all the pins in about 20 minutes. That'll be a joy after you just spent two hours snaking a cable thorough the cabin sidewall!

Just from their web site - "WingX, iFly, FlyQ and eKneeboard are current approved iPad applications."

Thanks for those part numbers. I went flying with my son, the day got away from me, and I never got around to making that call.

I will definitely practice at home. Without making you read the story of my life, I have worked with wire quite a bit, though not for a few decades.

Quote Originally Posted by tmcquinn View Post
    I never thought I'd be saying this but I bought an iPad mini. It can be returned for 2 weeks. I was thinking I would try some apps on both platforms and decide what to do.

But I couldn't help but wonder how many hours of on the clock learning the early adopters of ADS-B paid for at their avionics shops.

I have an iPad mini and wingx. I got the mini because the normal iPads are too large to fit in my lap with the stick in my RV-10. I have to admit, I've only used it a couple times in flight. It's a terciary device in the cockpit. I have just about everything I need to see in flight on my AFS EFIS.

The he answer to your question about the avionics shops, is none. Homebuilders tend to be self sufficient and don't use avionics shops. I've purchased equipment from them, but seldom do I call them for support questions. When I have questions about Navworx. I called and talked with Bill directly. He support model for EAB aircraft is different than SPAM cans. I know that's being stereotypical and that there is always exceptions.

Stein has a couple training videos on his website and on YouTube. They might help you understand what you need a bit better.
    --
    Bob Leffler
    RV-10 Flying
    www.mykitlog.com/rleffler

Well, I am past the stage where chickening out is an option...

Name:  20160706_143146.jpg
Views: 1183
Size:  87.6 KB

Name:  20160706_143452.jpg
Views: 1076
Size:  85.5 KB

There are very few things that I couldn't do better and faster from the second time on but here's where we are. This is two full days in a hot hangar, one A&P and one civilian (me). The antennas (sp?) are installed. The UAT fail light and new circuit breaker are wired in. The port for the PC interface is installed. The WIFI adapter is installed. The ADS-B is bolted down under the rear seat. All connectors are crimped and tested, though I'm not 100% about the diode test for the GPS antenna. All that's left is getting a USB cable extension and hooking up the inductive tap to the transponder cable, doing the setup on a PC, testing, putting the plane back together, updating the weight and balance, and emailing the FAA for my report. At least that's all I can think of after spending most of the day in the baggage compartment...

The paperwork is complete. WingX is loaded onto an iPad Mini and an Android PC, both of which are now yoke mounted. I just received my FAA Compliance Report and got 100% compliance, no issues. My A&P had to be talked into trying this but it turned out to not be so difficult. He charged me 22 hours but I think he may have subtracted out some of the time we spent scratching our heads and mumbling...

How long did it take to get the compliance report?

Requested on 1:46 pm Thursday.

Received on 6:22 am Friday.

Quote Originally Posted by tmcquinn View Post
    The paperwork is complete. WingX is loaded onto an iPad Mini and an Android PC, both of which are now yoke mounted. I just received my FAA Compliance Report and got 100% compliance, no issues. My A&P had to be talked into trying this but it turned out to not be so difficult. He charged me 22 hours but I think he may have subtracted out some of the time we spent scratching our heads and mumbling...
    Ouch! 22 hours for a job that shouldn't have taken more than a couple hours. Nothing like paying for his education. I'm enjoying my EAB more every day due to A&Ps billing excessive hours.

im glad that everything is working for you! You are going to see more aircraft than you ever knew that were around you. The weather radar and meters are nice too!
    --
    Bob Leffler
    RV-10 Flying
    www.mykitlog.com/rleffler