Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: ADS-B install

Wow, what a great thread. I may finally know what I want. But please don't hold back any comments or criticisms.

I have a Piper Archer. I have no GPS or fancy displays, just a classic panel. My transponder is an old Garmin GTX 320 that is working just fine. I have been holding off buying a Stratus portable unit because I would like to spend my money on a more permanent solution.

I am leaning heavily towards the Navworx ADS600-B. My AMT says he is willing to take a shot at an install if he doesn't have to hack around with the existing radios. With the TransMonSPE we should be able to use my existing transponder and encoder by merely clamping the device around the transponder antenna cable. The WIFI module should allow me to display traffic and weather on a tablet. We need to bolt the main unit in, get power to it, install a light to indicate that the UAT is working, install the GPS antenna, install the UAT antenna, and configure it with a $10 PC cable. The crimping equipment called for in the installation manual will only add about $300. I guess my AMT will have to update the weight and balance data (about a pound and a half) and sign it off. The only challenge I see so far is getting a "transponder test set" that can interrogate the aircraft's transponder. And if there is a way to beg, borrow, or steal one I am going to try it.

What do you folks think? Have I laid out a plausible path to getting ADS-B? I don't know if we're at the tipping point yet or not but the only avionics shops that have even bothered to give me a price were at or above 8 grand. This could be less than half that if I dig in and get a little dirty. As far as worrying about the hardware being orphaned some day, well, buying the Garmin transponder sure didn't save me from that fate.

Tmcquinn,

i have the Ads-600b in my RV-10 for several years now. I was an early adopter. It's a great product.

you don't need $300 worth of crimping tools to install it. You should be able to get everything you need for well under $100. Yes, there are crimping tools that cost that much, but you don't need them for a one time install. I would recommend taking a look at the tools offered by Stein Brunch at steinair.com. It will be hard to find better deals elsewhere.

you don't need any transponder test gear for the install. The control panel software will display what is being received from your transponder. It will display transponder, pressure altitude, and GPS coordinates. If all three aren't present, it won't enable the unit.

bob
    --
    Bob Leffler
    RV-10 Flying
    www.mykitlog.com/rleffler

Thank you very much, rleffler. I am in very new territory here and I was reading the explicit procedures from the installation manual.

If I can pull this off it will be a major cost saving over any price I've gotten to date. I realize this isn't the type of job that has the avionics shops salivating over my business but most of them won't even return a call or email. I can't imagine what it's going to be like as we get nearer to 2020. I suppose a true optimist would hope for a $500 unit and an FAA blessing for a self install...

Quote Originally Posted by tmcquinn View Post
    What do you folks think? Have I laid out a plausible path to getting ADS-B?
    Absolutely! It's precisely the path I followed just last week in my certified aircraft. The mechanical installation was straightforward, but of course it took four times as long as it should have, because it's an airplane. The electrical installation is simple. I agree you don't need $300 for crimp tools. I also vote for Steinair; they had almost everything I needed, and quick service. Don't forget the little DSub pin insert/remove tool, for standard pins, not high density ones. I bought the light and the circuit breaker from Spruce. Note that coax, coax connectors, and DSub connectors and pins all come with the unit. I recommend practicing installing a couple coax connectors and some DSub pins at home before you start. It's really easy. Steinair has some short instructional videos online that were useful.

For testing, all you need to do are the basic tests in the install manual and then flight test it. Send the email to the FAA for a report, and if there's no red, you're done. If that last doesn't ring a bell, just ask here for more info. I have not been able to do that last step because the airplane is in for annual at the same time, so I won't be able to flight test it for a couple weeks yet. Good luck!

Mike E

Quote Originally Posted by MEdwards View Post
    For testing, all you need to do are the basic tests in the install manual and then flight test it. Send the email to the FAA for a report, and if there's no red, you're done. If that last doesn't ring a bell, just ask here for more info. I have not been able to do that last step because the airplane is in for annual at the same time, so I won't be able to flight test it for a couple weeks yet. Good luck!

Mike E
    Yes, please explain. I thought I had read more than any sane person would try to and I never saw anything about an FAA email!

Yes, please explain. I thought I had read more than any sane person would try to and I never saw anything about an FAA email!
    Check out this thread on Van's Air Force:

http://www.vansairforce.com/communit...highlight=Adsb

Jim and his team at the FAA have done a tremendous job of ensuring experimental adsb configurations work as advertised. They cleared up much confusion during the early adopter period.
    --
    Bob Leffler
    RV-10 Flying
    www.mykitlog.com/rleffler

Looks like Bob's pretty much got it covered with the link to Van's. So far as the testing is concerned, I don't think there should be any difference between the box for experimentals (that Van's is addressing) and the one you and I are using for certificated aircraft.

The report you get back is detailed and has slew of acronyms, but I think an explanation comes with it, and I've heard of the FAA guy who gets your email request helping to resolve issues if there are any. With the Navworx system, I think issues are less likely because the GPS is internal and integral to the ADS-B transceiver. I think most problems come from the GPS-to-ADS-B interface.

Also, the head of Navworx, Bill Moffitt, is responsive to questions. His writing is terse, but he's always answered my question satisfactorily.

Mike E

I thank you all. I placed an order today. I'll post later on how it goes.

I know that not everyone shares my opinion on this, but I'll take terse over not even replying every day!
    Last edited by tmcquinn; 06-28-2016 at 08:55 AM.

Since I'd like to be ready when we start the install, I'm off to track down any information about using the Navworx with a tablet and WIFI. I am very cost sensitive right now so I'm hoping to use one of the Android tablets I already own. But I'm open to any ideas you folks might have.

WingX Pro 7 works with the Navworx. I run it on an iPad with my currrent ADS-B receiver and will do the same thing with the Navworx. There is an Android version of WingX Pro 7, but I think it's not yet as full featured as the one for iPad.

Mike E