Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: ADS-B install

ADS-B install

Is there a way to get in contact with someone (avionics engineer) who can lay out the install for ADS-B with known equipment?

Thanks, Dick B

install what gear into what aircraft? certified or EAB?

This guy can. He installed my ADS-B.

Anthony Arispe
    info@ArispeAviation.com
    http://www.arispeaviation.com/

Here's a video:

If I am correct the only requirements are a transponder capable of modes A,C,S, WAAS GPS, altitude reporting device (blind encoder?,etc.) and associated antennas that are all tied together to perform ADS-B out (in is optional). Am I missing something??

Dick B

Quote Originally Posted by dick b View Post
    If I am correct the only requirements are a transponder capable of modes A,C,S, WAAS GPS, altitude reporting device (blind encoder?,etc.) and associated antennas that are all tied together to perform ADS-B out (in is optional). Am I missing something??

Dick B
    Yes, facts!

the answers are going to vary depending if you are EAB or certified and which vendor's solution you choose.

the post above referenced Navworx. I have one in my RV, so I can share my experiences.

yes, a transponder is required. If you have a newer model, you may be able to connect to a serial port to get the need feed and remote control capabilities hooked. Navworx also sells a transmontane device that attaches to the transponder antenna cable for older transponders.

yes, an altitude reporting device reporting pressure altitude is required. In my case, that is being supplied off a serial port on the EFIS. You could also use a dedicated encoder, but be careful about the output format. Not all encoders are compatible with Navworx.

Navworx has an internal GPS that is 2020 compliant, so another GPS isn't required.

it requires two antennas. One for the GPS and one for the uat out. These are common antennas, so they can be purchased just about anywhere. My recommendation if you are EAB is delta pop aviation. Antenna specs are in the Navworx manual.

there are plenty of other options, but with out knowing your aircraft type and avionics, we would all just be guessing.
    --
    Bob Leffler
    RV-10 Flying
    www.mykitlog.com/rleffler

I stumbled across a great slide presentation with a very complete decision tree included prepared by EAA Chapter 9. You can download here or here.

I'm looking at a Navworx ADS-B Out. For those of you who have them:

Were there any problems obtaining one? I have heard of some supply problems in the recent past, a few months ago.
    Is the transponder monitor, TRANSMONSPE, consistent and reliable? Or is a direct connection to encoder and transponder recommended?

Thank you.

Quote Originally Posted by MEdwards View Post
    I'm looking at a Navworx ADS-B Out. For those of you who have them:

Were there any problems obtaining one? I have heard of some supply problems in the recent past, a few months ago.
    Is the transponder monitor, TRANSMONSPE, consistent and reliable? Or is a direct connection to encoder and transponder recommended?

Thank you.

There are two versions. One for certified aircraft and one for EABs. The experimental unit is less expensive. The experimental unit had some startup issues. They are shipping now, but I don't know what the back log may be at the time.

ive not heard any complaints about the Transmonspe, but I only know one person that has it installed. Mine is direct wired and works just fine. I suspect that being direct wired is better, but not sure it matters. It may be just a flip of a coin.
    --
    Bob Leffler
    RV-10 Flying

Another part to this question - what exactly is a Avionics Data Link Processor that would be wired into the transponder along with the GPS receiver and altimeter?? This is all related to a E-AB aircraft.

Dick B

Quote Originally Posted by dick b View Post
    Another part to this question - what exactly is a Avionics Data Link Processor that would be wired into the transponder along with the GPS receiver and altimeter?? This is all related to a E-AB aircraft.

Dick B
    It really depends on the equipment and/or adsb solution you've selected. My recommendation is to give the vendor or your friendly neighborhood avionics dealer a call.

the transponder passes the squawk code, encoder passes pressure altitude, and GPS passes Lat/long and I believe GPS alt. Depending on the equipment connectivity is rs232. Some units support arinc for GPS. Navworx also sells a transmode unit for older transponders that just connects to the transponder's antenna cable.

since you are EAB, I would recommend the Navworx ads600-exp. there are other comparable solutions depending on what other avionics is already installed.
    --
    Bob Leffler
    RV-10 Flying