Page 48 of 75 FirstFirst ... 38464748495058 ... LastLast

Thread: Young Eagles and Background Security Checks

Quote Originally Posted by dusterpilot View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by rv6mike
    I believe this policy will make the parents nervous having to sign this and that and wondering why?
    There is nothing additional to sign and the parents would never notice a difference. The YE registration form is the only form that needs to be signed.
    There is, IIRC, some sort of warning required before flying their kids in a two-seat airplane. This may attract their attention. Not only are most experimentals two-seaters (giving a reduced choice of aircraft), from my long-ago experience with YA, most kids WANT to fly in the two seaters (because they'll probably get to fly the plane).

I would suggest the YE form be modified to include a permission block for the parent to check off if they're OK with the kid flying in a two-seater.

Ron Wanttaja

OK, something I don't fully understand - if in a 4 seat plane is the thought to have another adult present? If so I don't think that will work unless everyone is flying at least a 182. I know my instructor & I were at max gross weight in the 172R by ourselves.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Switzer View Post
    OK, something I don't fully understand - if in a 4 seat plane is the thought to have another adult present? If so I don't think that will work unless everyone is flying at least a 182. I know my instructor & I were at max gross weight in the 172R by ourselves.
    From the EAA Youth Protection policy:

"...a minimum of two adults who have completed the EAA Youth Service Standards process described above will be in attendance as supervisors of all Youth at all times....'Attendance as supervisors' requires that the person must be present and actively circulating through the areas in which services are being provided, in order to monitor all activities for appropriate behavior."

"....Due to the nature of some EAA-related programs (e.g., Young Eagles aircraft rides), there are times when it will be impossible or impractical for two (2) adults to be present in an activity involving a Youth. In such cases, the staff member or volunteer should take particular care to ensure that the Youth and their parents are aware of the circumstances."

A 172 should be able to carry two adults with a small child in the back seat. So it's not "impossible or impractical" to carry two adults on the flight, just very, very inefficient. And probably not as much fun for the kid, who won't even see much of the instruments.

In short, we need a definition of "impossible or impractical". If the policy had been as thoroughly vetted with the membership as EAA has claimed, this issue probably would have come up long ago.

Ron Wanttaja

Quote Originally Posted by Byron J. Covey View Post
    With a recidivism rate of about 35 % for those who molested a male child, society should keep an eye on past offenders.

see : http://www.scientificamerican.com/ar...rstood-crimes/

BJC
    According to the DOJ's Bureau of Justice Statistics, the recidivism rate for all violent offenders is 61.4%, which theoretically makes sex offenders significantly less likely to commit a similar crime again. Not that I am advocating NOT keeping an eye on people who have a track record of having done bad things. Forgive, but don't forget. In any case, the process proposed by EAA should be more than sufficient to limit exposure (opportunity for and undesirable event.)

Ron, agreed that as written the one or two adult per plane is unclear. CAP initially had similar language when it instituted its Cadet Protection Program. It was quickly amended to allow single adult to cadet contact for flight training and orientation flights. It is amazing that this lesson learned was not incorporated into the initial EAA policy.
    Last edited by Mayhemxpc; 02-08-2016 at 06:01 PM. Reason: completing the thought
    Chris Mayer
    N424AF
    www.o2cricket.com

Quote Originally Posted by dusterpilot View Post
    There is nothing additional to sign ...
    After 01 May 2016 there will be at least three additional documents that the attorney-in-fact for each minor I fly will be required to sign and have notarized on behalf of the minor child prior to arriving at the YE rally. They are (1) A specific performance personal services contract, (2) a subrogation and indemnification agreement naming the EAA as the exclusive sole defendant party for all actions, and (3) an MPAA / CSA /SAG compliant unlimited still and video photography rights release.

Of course, unless the EAA changes the YEYPP drastically between now and then, this requirement will never be enforced because I will simply refuse to continue my participation in this debacle.
    Last edited by Copapilot; 02-08-2016 at 06:19 PM.

I have been informed that the EAA Chapter 62 Young Eagles event at San Martin Airport (E16), scheduled for May 13, 2016 will proceed as normal. I do not know how many pilots have completed the background check and training. The event normally flies as many as 200 kids. I must say I am confused about the policy for 4-seater airplanes. Do there need to be 2 adults in the plane for each flight?

Quote Originally Posted by Mark van Wyk View Post
    I have been informed that the EAA Chapter 62 Young Eagles event at San Martin Airport (E16), scheduled for May 13, 2016 will proceed as normal. I do not know how many pilots have completed the background check and training.
    According to the FAQ, each volunteer should receive a printable wallet card via email that establishes they meet the requirements. Only thing I can think of is to call your pilots ~1 month out and ask if they have it.

As for the 2 Adults per aircraft issue, I'm hoping they answer that quickly. Average ten-year-old boy weighs half the FAA-standard for an adult. The math isn't good.

Ron Wanttaja
    Last edited by rwanttaja; 02-08-2016 at 08:37 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Copapilot View Post
    After 01 May 2016 there will be at least three additional documents that the attorney-in-fact for each minor I fly will be required to sign and have notarized on behalf of the minor child prior to arriving at the YE rally.
    Assuming the "C" in your handle stands for "Canadian" you don't have a problem:

"At the publication date of this Policy, EAA is not yet able to provide background checks in Canada because of unique Canadian laws."

Those pesky Canadian privacy laws, apparently. Us 'Mericuns don't have to worry about those.

Ron Wanttaja
    Last edited by rwanttaja; 02-08-2016 at 08:24 PM.

I attended our regular chapter meeting yesterday afternoon. This issue has definitely set off an angry firestorm among our members. Of the four regular YE pilots in attendance (one being me) , three of them most likely will not comply. This will essentially kill our YE program, and perhaps the very existence of our chapter. We have a small chapter, and the cohesive force holding it together was the YE program. I now fear this will be our demise. What is so hard for me to believe, is that nobody at headquarters had any inkling what this would do? That is scary in itself. One members suggestion was for us to form a private club, and essentially run the same program under it's banner. I think that may get some traction.

Dan Helsper
    Puryear, TN

Quote Originally Posted by Mayhemxpc View Post
    Ron, agreed that as written the one or two adult per plane is unclear. CAP initially had similar language when it instituted its Cadet Protection Program. It was quickly amended to allow single adult to cadet contact for flight training and orientation flights. It is amazing that this lesson learned was not incorporated into the initial EAA policy.
    "Must....keep....from posting....another....snarky....comment......about ....how much....this was....supposedly coordinated with membership...."

Ron "Self-control R Us" Wanttaja