Page 4 of 75 FirstFirst ... 234561454 ... LastLast

Thread: Young Eagles and Background Security Checks

Quote Originally Posted by Kyle Boatright View Post
    A background check does not protect me from a false accusation. I don't see how it protects *me* at all.
    Quote Originally Posted by FlyingRon View Post
    Tell me how a background check protects me?
    A background check doesn't protect us, it protects the kids. It shouldn't be necessary, but times are far different now than when we were growing up.

Quote Originally Posted by rwanttaja View Post
    So I don't blame those who are dropping out of Young Eagles over this. I do have one request: Continue to fly kids.
    Absolutely! There are too many obstacles preventing youth from getting involved in aviation. Let's keep the effort going even if your numbers no longer get counted in a big logbook.

An AOPA survey recently asked how many years have you been flying. 61 percent of those responding have been flying for more than 30 years. Do the math...that means we're old. We need to keep the effort going to share aviation with those younger people who are needed to replace us.

Interestingly I looked at the California Boy Scout web site under their Youth Protection Program, http://www.bsa-ciec.org/training/you...training/10087. They do not require formal "background" checks and their use of volunteers is much more liberal. I could live with the BSA requirements, The EAA requirements and much more stringent.

Young Eagles

I do not think I will be willing to submit my info to an unsecure and trusted website. If EAA wants us to do this they need to ensure the safety of our personal info. It needs to be done in a way that not only ensures the security of our info but also accountability if it is compromised. I predict this will virtually destroy the Young Eagles program which I have absolutely enjoyed , and it will also cost EAA many members as well. I think it will prove to be the straw that broke the camels back. I understand the need to ensure the safety of children and am absolutely willing to to do my part to do so, but this apears to be poorly thought out and just plain unworkable. As it is currently designed this program goes on step too far. ​EAA wake up and fix this mess while you still can. You have little time to do so !!!.

It's not the background check that's the issue for me, it's the method and unnecessary data that's requested. SSN is NOT required for a check, I've done plenty without the need. Decades ago when I was an adult CAP member, I went to the local police station for the background check, they're the ones with the data that's desired anyway.

This new system also leaves no path for a spouse to help out at a YE event. How are they going to get approved by the EAA to help out?

Not submitting to this - no more YE flights for me. Off and on been doing it since the program started as either a pilot or ground support.

Happy to take airport kids up or anyone introduced via friends, coworkers etc., but EAA can protect itself on its' own dime - too bad since the YE kids really like the Yak.

Chalk up yet another great thing killed by unnecessary and ultimately unrelated kneejerk BS.

'Gimp
    Whether you think you can, or think you can't, you're right.

EAA Chapter 14, IAC Chapter 36

http://acrogimp.wordpress.com/

I will not be submitting personal information to an anonymous website. Period.

Byron J. Covey
    Quote Originally Posted by Dana View Post
    But EAA has long since succumbed to the Iron Law of Bureaucracy.
    Where do you find all this (excellent) stuff Dana?

If may also be extrapolated to describe posters on internet forums.

BJC

Quote Originally Posted by dusterpilot View Post
    A background check doesn't protect us, it protects the kids
    Tell me how it protects the kids then.

Quote Originally Posted by rwanttaja View Post
    A while back, a local guy really liked the kids he was flying on a Young Eagles event. He flew them to a nearby airport and bought them lunch.

Didn't tell anyone. All the YE coordinator and the kid's mother knew was that the flight was supposed to last 20 minutes or so, and they'd been gone for over an hour.....
    Well that was dumb and some people dropping out of YE flying, like Capt. Mud in your example, will evidently be a good thing.

I'm pretty sure some type of vetting process is here to stay. The EAA is not going to assume that kind of liability.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Downey View Post
    We've always gave rides, so why do we need permission from any one to give rides.
    Young Eagles has always been a local event, why can't we continue as a local event.
    I never go look for kids to give plane rides but if someone ask me about it, I'll make sure they get a plane ride- from the pilot seat.