Page 37 of 75 FirstFirst ... 27353637383947 ... LastLast

Thread: Young Eagles and Background Security Checks

I believe it was Franklin who said, "Those who would give up essential liberty for the illusion of safety deserve neither." I understand EAA's liability concerns, but this is getting ridiculous. At some point, people must stand up and say, "Enough!"

I dropped out as a mentor in my chapter's airplane-building project with a local private high school because of the "background check/fingerprinting" requirement, even though I've been through a dozen background checks in applying for medical licenses in various states over the years.

Now I will be opting-out of further EAA Young Eagles flights. I understand that AOPA has a similar program, so I'll check it out. But it macht nichts either way; I will be flying local children as the opportunity arises, and - horror of horrors - I will be TOUCHING THEM as I help them into and out of the airplane and secure the seat belts/shoulder harnesses and headphones. Aside from the necessity in these cases, nobody is willing to say the obvious: not only is it OK to touch children; children NEED to be touched; I have six; I know. They want the assurance the touch of an adult provides when they are nervous - like when they are taking their first flights, for example. That is a GOOD thing. What the hell is wrong with us?

It's very sad that EAA has also succumbed to that creeping cancer we call the American Trial Lawyer in his never-ending quest for income. But, as they say, actions have consequences, and in America we are still free to make decisions in response to such nonsense. I have made two so far. My next decision will be when my EAA membership - held since 1977 - comes up for renewal. I'll probably renew, but we'll see...

Sad in Virginia
    Jim Wills
    EAA# 167788

Quote Originally Posted by jimbob View Post
    I believe it was Franklin who said, "Those who would give up essential liberty for the illusion of safety deserve neither." I understand EAA's liability concerns, but this is getting ridiculous. At some point, people must stand up and say, "Enough!"

I dropped out as a mentor in my chapter's airplane-building project with a local private high school because of the "background check/fingerprinting" requirement, even though I've been through a dozen background checks in applying for medical licenses in various states over the years.

Now I will be opting-out of further EAA Young Eagles flights. I understand that AOPA has a similar program, so I'll check it out. But it macht nichts either way; I will be flying local children as the opportunity arises, and - horror of horrors - I will be TOUCHING THEM as I help them into and out of the airplane and secure the seat belts/shoulder harnesses and headphones. Aside from the necessity in these cases, nobody is willing to say the obvious: not only is it OK to touch children; children NEED to be touched; I have six; I know. They want the assurance the touch of an adult provides when they are nervous - like when they are taking their first flights, for example. That is a GOOD thing. What the hell is wrong with us?

It's very sad that EAA has also succumbed to that creeping cancer we call the American Trial Lawyer in his never-ending quest for income. But, as they say, actions have consequences, and in America we are still free to make decisions in response to such nonsense. I have made two so far. My next decision will be when my EAA membership - held since 1977 - comes up for renewal. I'll probably renew, but we'll see...

Sad in Virginia
    Jim Wills
    EAA# 167788
    From one Jim to another....well said! Welcome to the forum!

Jim

EAA# 64315 (since 1/1/71, recently expired and patiently waiting)

Is the EAA YE program fatally damaged? No, but it certainly has been hurt. And its not only because of those who have decided to no longer participate in the YE program. Those of us who want to continue with the program will find, at the very least, that our costs will be going up. Where we could have flown 3 Young Eagles in our 4-seat aircraft, it will now be 2. OK, every flight we didn’t have all 3 seats filled, but you get the point. To fly the same number of Young Eagles, our pilot costs can increase up to 150% of our current costs because we will have to make more flights. It also means a longer day and there is a certain fatigue issue that may set in. Reduce the number of available pilots, even marginally, and for those of us who remain, its even more flights. There can come a point where we just burn out. And I’ve not even got around to the ground volunteer needs. Even assuming that no pilots dropped out of the program, which will not be the case, because of the limitation of just 2 Young Eagles in a 4 seat aircraft, its going to be more challenging, more expensive and more fatiguing.

Did the EAA need to adopt a Youth Protection Program? Yes. Several who have posted have noted that they have worked in other youth organizations and have already participated in their program. So have I, but to a much greater extent. I want to tell you about my experience because, and I mean this nicely, that its obvious that many who have posted here see their required participation in aYouth Protection Program as an affront to their integrity. I understand this, because I’ve seen it before, and its true, for the vast majority of us, we are no risk to children.

When I was in what was then called Jr. High, I joined a youth organization. In the 60s, it was the largest fraternal organization for young men in the country. I was away from it during college, etc., but then came back to it as an adult volunteer in the 70s. In the 80s, I was fortunate to join the adult leadership and for the last 30+ years I have been on the organization’s national council.

About 25 years ago, everything hit the fan. At the time, I was serving on the organization’s Insurance and Risk Management committee. Our liability policy got cancelled because of youth protection claims issues. Yes, think the worst. We had to go into a nationwide stand down of activities. We had no choice. When the smoke cleared, and we eventually got coverage back, we had gone from a $10 Million policy to a $100,000 policy, and it cost a lot more.

During this time, I participated in the creation of our Youth Protection Program. Even initially, it was more extensive than what EAA has just implemented. And our initial program had holes in it that we didn’t recognize at first. Was there a need for the program? Absolutely.

The thing is, up until a few weeks ago, the YE program, may have been the only youth serving program in the country of its size without a Youth Protection Program. My initial response, was “What too you so long?” Yes, I did email EAA with a lot of questions and concerns based on my prior knowledge of Youth Protection Programs.

EAA’s greatest mistake? See my next post.

Great post. S_Van. I'd hate to see the end of YE and hope the program does not need a one year stand down that you refer to. Looking forward to your next post.

What big mistake did EAA make in their new Youth Protection Program?

Not keeping the volunteers in the loop, starting even before the first word of the program was written.

We are volunteers. We are not employees. Employers have a certain definite control over employees and how those employees perform their work.

Organizations that depend on volunteers need to keep those volunteers, for lack of a better word, happy. That has not happened here.

EAA has yet to expressly say why they have written and adopted a Youth Protection Program. Had EAA done this last summer or last fall, the degree of unhappiness among volunteers, especially pilots, likely would have been far less. In a prior post, I noted I was involved in writing a program for a fraternal youth organization. We were up front with our volunteers. As a result, we lost only about 5% of them. For new volunteers coming into that organization, only about 5% decline to complete registration for the Youth Protection Program (and therefore fail to be accepted as a new volunteer). I’m thinking that as of right now, EAA will be losing a lot more than 5% of volunteer pilots. It could have been a lot less if the need for the program had been communicated to us before the program was written and distributed. Essentially, we have been treated like employees and not volunteers. There is a heck of a difference.

I don’t know why EAA adopted this program at this time. I can give a range of possibilities, with any combination in between.

First, lets assume that EAA has had no liability claims for molestation of youth. I find that unlikely, given just how pervasive such conduct is, but its possible. It could have been that someone in EAA questioned why there was no program and recognized a need for it. Please, don’t deny the need. If you had any knowledge at all about just how pervasive such abuse is not only in this country but around the world, you wouldn’t be denying the need. Another possibility is that EAA’s insurance carrier had an underwriter that said coverage would be excluded if such a program were not put in place.

Second, lets assume the worst. There have been lots of claims and EAA’s insurance was about to be cancelled. EAA may have been told to get a program in place, quick and dirty if need be, in order to maintain coverage.

Conveying this information to the volunteers, in general terms, would have made the program far more acceptable to the volunteers. Yes, some pilots would have dropped out, but a lot less than is probably going to happen now.

How much should we have been told, or hopefully told not? Not all that much. Just general terms. IF there have been claims, we don’t need numbers, and certainly no details. Just a general statement that yes, there are problems.

A question that may not have been directly asked before on this forum is if the new program will prevent any unwanted events. There is a moving answer to that question. Those youth organizations that have adopted similar policies have not eliminated 100% of their problems. But typically, the number of problems they have, have been greatly reduced. It should be clear that these programs do not stop pedophiles. What these programs do is tend to drive pedophiles out of the organization. They then migrate to other youth programs that do not have youth protection programs. These programs also make it less likely for pedophiles to want to join as a new volunteer.
    Last edited by S_Van; 02-02-2016 at 11:25 AM.

I think we all know where the problem really lies: the US Congress' perennial inability to pass real liability reform. Reform language was originally included in the cynically-titled "Affordable Care Act," but Senator Harry Reid noted that the thing was so unpopular that they would be very "lucky to pass it at all, and (they) were certainly not about to take on the American Trial Lawyers Association."

Sometimes an old house is so rickety that the only thing to do is to bring it down and start over. I believe we are at that point. It will not happen when the Good Guys keep knuckling under and making accommodations to a corrupt system that is crippling the whole country - it will happen when people simply stop.

It stops here. Look for me at the airport. I'll be flying children as always, but EAA will have nothing to do with it.

All best,
    Jim Wills
    Farmville, VA
    EAA 1202

Quote Originally Posted by S_Van View Post
    We are volunteers. We are not employees. Employers have a certain definite control over employees and how those employees perform their work.

Organizations that depend on volunteers need to keep those volunteers, for lack of a better word, happy. That has not happened here.
    In the past few years I left a couple organizations I had been a member of for many years because in both cases the board president began treating me (and some of the other board members) like employees. As I get older I just don't feel like putting up with that. This is one of the biggest mistakes the leaders of any volunteer organization can make.

I wanted to pass on something I heard the other day that turns my stomach, but also may explain EAA's rationale. At the church I go to, the "child care" volunteers are being warned about a new scam. Parents are showing up to churches -- first time -- with kids and putting their kids into the "kid's care" babysitting areas. Then, the parents are apparently filing lawsuits alleging sexual abuse and blackmailing churches. Church volunteer babysitters everywhere are being expected to take training and getting background checks. So, don't say it can't happen in YE. Maybe it already has.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by jimbob View Post
    Sometimes an old house is so rickety that the only thing to do is to bring it down and start over. I believe we are at that point. It will not happen when the Good Guys keep knuckling under and making accommodations to a corrupt system that is crippling the whole country - it will happen when people simply stop.

It stops here. Look for me at the airport. I'll be flying children as always, but EAA will have nothing to do with it.

All best,
    Jim Wills
    Farmville, VA
    EAA 1202
    And here JimBob(I like saying this). Come on everyone, you know you want to do it:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rGIY5Vyj4YM

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Switzer View Post
    In the past few years I left a couple organizations I had been a member of for many years because in both cases the board president began treating me (and some of the other board members) like employees. As I get older I just don't feel like putting up with that. This is one of the biggest mistakes the leaders of any volunteer organization can make.
    Some volunteers give a lot, some give a little. But no matter a little or a lot, they all need to be told Thank You ! It should always be kept in mind what you get from a non-volunteer ............