Page 3 of 75 FirstFirst 123451353 ... LastLast

Thread: Young Eagles and Background Security Checks

Shocked

This doesn't inspire much confidence to me. What are they trying to keep secret by hiding their registration behind Godaddy?
    Web searches for 8F7.com turns up nothing on them, although there is a pretty tricked-out convertible Audi A5 with the 8F7 designation.

WHOIS Information Domain Name: 8F7.COM

Registry Domain ID: 96441734_DOMAIN_COM-VRSN
    Registrar WHOIS Server: whois.godaddy.com
    Registrar URL: http://www.godaddy.com
    Update Date: 2015-04-04T10:15:29Z
    Creation Date: 2003-04-03T17:16:57Z
    Registrar Registration Expiration Date: 2016-04-03T16:16:57Z
    Registrar: GoDaddy.com, LLC
    Registrar IANA ID: 146
    Registrar Abuse Contact Email: abuse@godaddy.com
    Registrar Abuse Contact Phone: +1.4806242505
    Domain Status: clientTransferProhibited http://www.icann.org/epp#clientTransferProhibited
    Domain Status: clientUpdateProhibited http://www.icann.org/epp#clientUpdateProhibited
    Domain Status: clientRenewProhibited http://www.icann.org/epp#clientRenewProhibited
    Domain Status: clientDeleteProhibited http://www.icann.org/epp#clientDeleteProhibited
    Registry Registrant ID:
    Registrant Name: Registration Private
    Registrant Organization: Domains By Proxy, LLC
    Registrant Street: DomainsByProxy.com
    Registrant Street: 14747 N Northsight Blvd Suite 111, PMB 309
    Registrant City: Scottsdale
    Registrant State/Province: Arizona
    Registrant Postal Code: 85260
    Registrant Country: US
    Registrant Phone: +1.4806242599
    Registrant Phone Ext:
    Registrant Fax: +1.4806242598
    Registrant Fax Ext:
    Registrant Email: 8F7.COM@domainsbyproxy.com
    Registry Admin ID:
    Admin Name: Registration Private
    Admin Organization: Domains By Proxy, LLC
    Admin Street: DomainsByProxy.com
    Admin Street: 14747 N Northsight Blvd Suite 111, PMB 309
    Admin City: Scottsdale
    Admin State/Province: Arizona
    Admin Postal Code: 85260
    Admin Country: US
    Admin Phone: +1.4806242599
    Admin Phone Ext:
    Admin Fax: +1.4806242598
    Admin Fax Ext:
    Admin Email: 8F7.COM@domainsbyproxy.com
    Registry Tech ID:
    Tech Name: Registration Private
    Tech Organization: Domains By Proxy, LLC
    Tech Street: DomainsByProxy.com
    Tech Street: 14747 N Northsight Blvd Suite 111, PMB 309
    Tech City: Scottsdale
    Tech State/Province: Arizona
    Tech Postal Code: 85260
    Tech Country: US
    Tech Phone: +1.4806242599
    Tech Phone Ext:
    Tech Fax: +1.4806242598
    Tech Fax Ext:
    Tech Email: 8F7.COM@domainsbyproxy.com
    Name Server: NS1.CYBERTRAILS.COM
    Name Server: NS2.CYBERTRAILS.COM
    DNSSEC: unsigned
    URL of the ICANN WHOIS Data Problem Reporting System: http://wdprs.internic.net/
    >>> Last update of WHOIS database: 2016-01-21T2:00:00Z <<<

For more information on Whois status codes, please visit https://www.icann.org/resources/page...-2014-06-16-en
    http://who.godaddy.com/whoischeck.aspx?domain=8F7.COM

My letter to the YE Office

I received my letter last night. My first reaction was, "This seems excessive, but I'll wait to hear more information on January 21st."

I then received my first call from an active YE pilot, telling me he will not be flying YE anymore because of this. I know he would easily pass the background check, because he has already passed many such checks through his job and other activities.

I sent the following email to the YE Office today:

Young Eagles Staff,

I received your letter announcing new training and background check requirements for Young Eagles volunteers yesterday.

In the letter, it states that more information will be provided in the January 21st e-newsletter.

Please include an explanation of EXACTLY why this has become a requirement for volunteering, how Young Eagle Coordinators will be able to confirm compliance during a Rally, and strategies on how to recruit and retain volunteer pilots and ground volunteers in the shadow of this additional burden.

My biggest concern is a potentially significant loss of support from within the Young Eagles volunteer community and the inability to "instantly" recruit pilots and ground volunteers during a rally.

Unlike in actual Youth organizations, Young Eagles pilot volunteers interact with young people for only 10-15 minutes while simultaneously operating an aircraft. In addition, all interaction on the ground occurs with a parent or guardian present in a public setting.

Also, unlike actual Youth organizations, a large majority of Young Eagles volunteers are casual volunteers; limiting their involvement to taking a few young people for a flight on a sunny morning or coming out to the airport to help collect forms. This is in contrast to Scouting or Boys/Girls Club volunteers, who organize weekly meetings with young people and invest significant time planning and executing substantial education programs and multiple-day trips.

I find it difficult to believe that the extremely low risk of abuse occurring during a Young Eagles flight experience justifies the implementation of requirements that will significantly reduce volunteer involvement.

EAA has always promoted the idea of education over regulation. This new MANDATORY training and background check seems to fly in the face of this philosophy.

I sincerely hope that the January 21st e-newsletter provides both justification and clarity regarding this new training and background check requirement.

Regards,

Edward J. Myers
    President, EAA Chapter 1414
    __________________________________________________ ______

I then received an email from EAA this evening entitled "Important Message From the EAA Chapter Office". In the email it states, "This policy keeps EAA in step with best practices that are common in youth education and recreation programs throughout the nation, ranging from scout programs to youth sports leagues."

There was no mention of a legal requirement, a response to an incident involving Young Eagles, or an insurance cost penalty that has driven this decision. Yet EAA is prepared to spend a significant amount of OUR money on this program with no tangible benefit to either the members or the organization.

I am seriously considering severing my involvement with the Young Eagles program, and possibly resigning my leadership position at my chapter.

If I decide to do either or both, I will first complete the training, background check, and receive my card to prove that I have nothing to hide.

I certainly hope that tomorrow's edition of e-Hotline provides better justification for this than "keeps EAA in step with best practices that are common in youth education and recreation programs"

Quote Originally Posted by dusterpilot View Post
    HOWEVER, the policies and practices are there to PROTECT US from false accusations. T
    Tell me how a background check protects me?

It does not, and none of this is designed or intended to protect you. It is designed to protect EAA. While I understand the rationale, I disagree with it strongly, and I feel this is a case of the medicine being worse than the illness. Time will tell how this will impact the program in the future, but if this forum is any indication it is in real trouble.
    Jeff Point
    RV-6 and RLU-1 built & flying
    Tech Counselor, Flight Advisor & President, EAA Chapter 18
    Milwaukee, WI
    "It All Started Here!"

1. "...a minimum of two adults who have completed the EAA Youth Service Standards process described above will be in attendance as supervisors of all Youth at all times....For participants under the age of thirteen (13), two staff members or volunteers must be present for every ten (10) Youth participants...volunteers may not initiate meetings or interactions...e.g., two-seat Young Eagles aircraft rides"

OK, for us stupid people...does this mean an individual aviator can't tell a kid at church that flying is fun, offer to take the kid flying, and get the parent's written and signed permission on a young eagles form to take the kid in a two-seat aircraft - without going through all this gobbledegook too???

Remember Young Eagles Pilot Numbers? Mine is 44. Would hate to give this up because the program got stupider than me. But stupid as I am, I am still no way going to give up my personal info on line to a non-secure(?) website. Already had identity theft once and info compromised by supposedly secure government systems at least twice, thank you very much.
    Last edited by Mike M; 01-21-2016 at 08:23 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Dana View Post
    Not to make light of what is a real problem in some areas, but we all know there is such a huge risk of children being molested by a pedophile during a 15 minute YE flight...
    Well, it only has to happen once. If it does, EAA will be sued, and asked "What did you do to ensure the adults in the Young Eagle program did not have pedophile histories?" If the answer is "nothing," they're toast. If they'd performed an industry-standard background check, they're in better shape. Probably *still* pay millions, but will be less than if they'd done nothing to investigate participants.

About twenty years ago, I was the president of the airport advisory board at my home drome. Being on the board was totally a volunteer position....There was no pay; we got no special access or any privileges. Yet the city announced that we would have to undergo criminal background checks. I refused, and got dropped from the board.

Yet for ~15 years before that...and since, as a matter of fact, I've maintained a fairly high US Government security clearance, where I had to undergo re-investigations every five years. In that case, it was necessary to keep my employment.

There *is* a difference.

I've been notified that my data was part of the massive USG data breach from last year...the hackers not only got my personal data, but the information about my friends, relatives, and medical history I was required to provide. Even copies of my fingerprints, for cripe's sake.

So no, I'm not impressed with a *private* company trying to accrue the same information.

So I don't blame those who are dropping out of Young Eagles over this. I do have one request: Continue to fly kids. Don't bother with the EAA paperwork, just give kids airplane rides.

Ron Wanttaja
    Last edited by rwanttaja; 01-20-2016 at 09:58 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by martymayes View Post
    The threshold for pedophile is fairly low these days. Display an inappropriate image on a phone or tablet to a minor and you have crossed the line with 14 min to spare.
    I've got a friend who took his grandchildren to a local park. He took pictures of his grandkids playing, so someone called the cops.

A while back, a local guy really liked the kids he was flying on a Young Eagles event. He flew them to a nearby airport and bought them lunch.

Didn't tell anyone. All the YE coordinator and the kid's mother knew was that the flight was supposed to last 20 minutes or so, and they'd been gone for over an hour.....

Ron Wanttaja

Quote Originally Posted by Mike M View Post
    1. "...a minimum of two adults who have completed the EAA Youth Service Standards process described above will be in attendance as supervisors of all Youth at all times....For participants under the age of thirteen (13), two staff members or volunteers must be present for every ten (10) Youth participants...volunteers may not initiate meetings or interactions...e.g., two-seat Young Eagles aircraft rides"

OK, for us stupid people...does this mean an individual aviator can't tell a kid at church that flying is fun, offer to take the kid flying, and get the parent's written and signed permission on a young eagles form to take the kid in a two-seat aircraft - without going through all this gobbledegook too???

Remember Young Eagles Pilot Numbers? Mine is 44. Would hate to give this up because the program got stupider than me. But stupid as I am, I am still no way going to give up my personal info on line to a non-secure website.
    You got it, can't fly them under the EAA banner. Also you have to expressly tell the parent the child is going up in a two seat aircraft without a chaperon, and you need another adult there as you help the kid into the plane and put his seat belt on to prevent inappropriate touching.

While this is probably necessary in order for EAA to protect itself in the current state of legal affairs, I would guess that it may well mean the end of the program; there are too many provisions required to make it practical or desirable for many members (including myself, unfortunately) to continue with it. I gladly hope to be proven wrong.

However, if it does mean ending the program, flying almost two million kids is a hell of an accomplishment that we should be proud of.

Jim

We've always gave rides, so why do we need permission from any one to give rides.
    Young Eagles has always been a local event, why can't we continue as a local event.