Page 25 of 75 FirstFirst ... 15232425262735 ... LastLast

Thread: Young Eagles and Background Security Checks

Some interesting stats...... This thread has had 238 contributions with 16,300+ views.
    The poll has had 59 people take it and has had 1274 views.
    What conclusions can we draw from these numbers?

http://eaaforums.org/showthread.php?...ecurity-Checks

An update - 2/1/16
    Poll has 3,236 views with 84 votes ...... only 84 votes !? [39 contributions which mostly contain way too much testosterone]
    This thread has 27,317 views and 338 contributions .....and a bit less testosterone
    Last edited by Jim Heffelfinger; 02-01-2016 at 11:42 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Heffelfinger View Post
    The popcorn vendor is going to be rich?

Given EAA’s policy change regarding youth interaction and the new administrative and personal burdens it will require of our Chapter membership I will propose, at our next meeting, that beginning May 1, 2016, that we simply prohibit minors from participating in, or being present at, any EAA Chapter 1221 activities.

It’s possible our members will vote to comply with the new background checks, training, monitoring, record keeping procedures, and more, as required by EAA, thereby allowing minors to participate in Chapter 1221 activities, but I doubt it. I expect that the cost/benefit scenario, specific to our Chapter, simply doesn’t support meeting EAA’s new youth policy requirements. I expect that many other EAA Chapters will be forced to acknowledge the same.

Obviously, as individuals and not EAA members, we can welcome and encourage youngsters to hang out at the airport, come see our airplanes and projects, and/or go for rides. Beginning May 1st, all youth activities will need to be positioned well clear of EAA and it’s brand.

Mike Hongisto
    President – EAA Chapter 1221
    HongistoMichael@aol.com

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Heffelfinger View Post
    Some interesting stats...... This thread has had 238 contributions with 16,300+ views.
    The poll has had 59 people take it and has had 1274 views.
    My conclusion, especially after a conversation tonight with several other chapter members is... the poll results are not entirely accurate. I think the percentage of people who will not comply with the current requirements is far higher than 80%. I suspect there are a number of chapters that will just pull the plug on YE entirely, and that's really sad.

This year would have been the first I would be able to fly YE flights. I've volunteered in the past doing ground support, but this year I've finally got a plane (Danger! Only 2 seats!) and will be current enough to be comfortable flying with passengers again. Now this. Oh, well. I'd like to fly kids with YE, but I'm not going to jump through that kind of hoops to do it. And yes, I think the requirements are more than a little insulting too. Feel free to run my name through the database if you really feel i necessary, but the rest is nonsense.

Quote Originally Posted by DaleB View Post
    This year would have been the first I would be able to fly YE flights. I've volunteered in the past doing ground support, but this year I've finally got a plane (Danger! Only 2 seats!) and will be current enough to be comfortable flying with passengers again. Now this.
    Unless things change, at least you have till May 1st to do it!

Our first YE rally is planned for July, I think. It's OK. I'll fly the grandkids and whoever else wants to go up, apparently just not as part of YE unless EAA management recognizes the sheer magnitude of their mistake.

Quote Originally Posted by martymayes View Post
    The popcorn vendor is going to be rich?
    Hello to fellow EAAers. I don’t frequent the forum sites, but figured this issue might highlight some interesting points of view, so I checked in.

I too am concerned about SSN/personal info issues, and as many of you have already pointed out, it is a risk you take when absolutely necessary. The rest of the requirements can be improved and made more reasonable.

So to me, it was a risk worth taking to ensure I can continue to support YE. The joy that this gift brings to the kids, and the reaction after the flight is our personal reward, as you all have experienced. Introducing the next generation(s) to the freedom of flight is something I am very passionate about. It’s my chance to give back. The best way to do this, is in an organized, well publicized event like EAA Y.E.

As for the poll with very few participants, I have my doubts as to the validity of results, since most of us are busy with our daily life, make our go/no-go decisions and move on (the silent majority, maybe). I think the number of volunteers participating in the training and background check far exceeds what is represented on this poll. Just a thought and nothing to back it up with. Except for our event organizer and few others volunteers have already done both the training and background check and are willing to work with EAA to make the rules workable.

EAA will have to make some changes to the requirements as part of the learning curve by listening to the constructive comments from the members and event organizers. I am sure it is/was anticipated, but it could've been done better.

So don’t get rid of that booster cushion just yet. Hope it works out!

I was just over on the Blueboard (www.pilotsofamerica.com/forum/showthread.php?t=89628). They had a link to a thread about this on the Purpleboard (http://www.purpleboard.net/forums/sh...&postcount=229), that claimed providing the SNN on the background data entry screen was optional,based on a current screen capture of the data entry page. I compared that screen capture image to the one I made on the 22nd. Sure enough, the information required has changed. (see attached images)

Seems to be that sometime in the last 24 hours, the powers that be in EAA "corporate" had a change of heart and made providing your SSN optional. Once again, we're the last to know when they change the rules; but evidently they ARE listening. Perhaps even more changes will be made, to address the policy operational issues raised here and elsewhere.

1st capture on the 22nd:
    Name:  capture-22nd.jpg
Views: 714
Size:  94.4 KB

2nd capture on the 27th:
    Name:  capture-27th.jpg
Views: 750
Size:  87.6 KB
    Last edited by Copapilot; 01-28-2016 at 02:53 AM. Reason: change image resolution

I have been approved. My SSN has been compromised many times. Those of you who think yours hasn't are probably wrong. My entire life has been about making sacrifices to help others, I will continue to do so.
    “It's the greatest shot of adrenaline to be doing what you have wanted to do so badly. You almost feel like you could fly without a plane.”

-Charles Lindbergh

Quote Originally Posted by Byron J. Covey View Post
    I understand the sentiment, but it is possible for Association members to set the direction of the Association through the election of Directors. Here is how it works: https://www.eaa.org/en/eaa/about-eaa...r-proxy-voting
    While it my be theoretically possible, time and experience have proven that it is not likely to happen in any practical way. I was involved in a proxy collection effort in 2012 so I am quite familiar with the process and it's workings. Similar efforts have met similar results in the past. 2012 was a perfect environment to finally affect a change, but the departure of Hightower in October 2012 took much of the wind out of the sails of our efforts.

Anyway, that's beside the point. This decision came from senior management, not from the board. I'm still waiting for senior management to weigh in and answer some questions. The bunker mentality that they have taken is not helping the situation.
    Jeff Point
    RV-6 and RLU-1 built & flying
    Tech Counselor, Flight Advisor & President, EAA Chapter 18
    Milwaukee, WI
    "It All Started Here!"