Page 21 of 75 FirstFirst ... 1119202122233171 ... LastLast

Thread: Young Eagles and Background Security Checks

Quote Originally Posted by Janet Davidson View Post
    B... instead of picking on Mark (I do agree with everyone else's comments regarding his posts, but that's neither here nor there)...
    Aw, darn, Janet. Here I was all happy because you were sticking up for me, and then you had to put in that little jab in the parentheses. I see you also are not a coward and use your real name. Hopefully the craven "ssmdive" -- proud owner of1974 7ECA Citabria and 1986 Pitts S1S -- won't do a Google search on you and post your information. I assume ssmdive hides the tail numbers on his airplanes, also. An FAA database search will reveal a lot about him, too.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark van Wyk View Post
    ...I assume ssmdive hides the tail numbers on his airplanes, also. An FAA database search will reveal a lot about him, too.
    ssmdive is just making a valid point; anyone can dig a little around google on anybody, you get basic info, but it surprises most people what is in public records for all to see, but add an SSN to the bundle and your life can be turned upside down. And, having a username not relative to your real name is considered normal; nothing to do with cowardice whatsoever.
    Last edited by jgnunn; 01-26-2016 at 04:42 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by smutny View Post
    I know many of us are ticked off about how this was sprung on us, and about many of the policies. My understanding is that it is being discussed at every level in Oshkosh now.
    Indeed. A better approach would have been to place the problem in front of the members (most of whom are adults...maybe a bit lower in this thread :-) and ask US what could be done to fix the problem. Tell folks that Young Eagles would be suspended until a solution was found. That way, one would mobilize the membership to help, rather than alienate a batch of them right out of the box. We're volunteers, not franchisees. If we don't like the way the game is being played, we'll take our ball and go home.

Personally, as a ~3-time prior Chapter President, I don't think I want the job again. Not if I'm going to be responsible for implementing this rather draconian solution.

The only thing I can think of is that headquarters panicked, somehow. They had the impression that something had to be done, FAST, so they pushed through a solution without thinking about how the membership would react.

Ron Wanttaja

Byron J. Covey
    Quote Originally Posted by smutny View Post
    I know many of us are ticked off about how this was sprung on us, and about many of the policies. My understanding is that it is being discussed at every level in Oshkosh now. So, as hard as it is in this information age of instant gratification, let's see what EAA comes back with (hopefully) soon.
    I hope that the elected officials of our organization do fix it, and I hope that they have learned a valuable lesson about making decisions for organizations such as ours without first having gotten input from the membership.

BJC

From the EAA "Youth Protection Program" FAQ page.

How is my data protected once it's submitted?
    "Your data is never shared with any outside vendor at any time." Then it goes on to explain that your data will be shared with AmericanChecked, who is an outside vendor.

The EAA says;
    All data transmission, including XML traffic, is encrypted using SSL certificates issued and monitored with 24/7 security. Servers are protected with multi-level firewall technology and intrusion detection software. Vulnerability scans are conducted on a regular basis by a PCI Approved Scanning Vendor, housed in a SAS 70 Type II audited data center with high-definition cameras.

The use of SSL does insure the integrity of the data being sent and received. This allows data to be encrypted on one end, and only un-encrypted by another computer with the correct certificate (code) It is used with banking information, credit cards, etc. When the data breaches have occurred, its usually from something else, not the failure of SSL certificates. The above statement is just trying to brag how awesome they are, it has little to do with protecting your Social Security Number or other private data that you submit.

Quote Originally Posted by Byron J. Covey View Post
    I hope that the elected officials of our organization do fix it, and I hope that they have learned a valuable lesson about making decisions for organizations such as ours without first having gotten input from the membership.
    Not to be too argumentative here, but we do not have elected representatives in this organization. That is a big source of many of our problems.
    Jeff Point
    RV-6 and RLU-1 built & flying
    Tech Counselor, Flight Advisor & President, EAA Chapter 18
    Milwaukee, WI
    "It All Started Here!"

Mark has now been making threats via PM. Amazing how he is so upset after he has been insulting people for so long on this thread about not wanting their personal data out there. In fact, I think I went out of my way to not include anything that would mean anything to anyone other than him..... I consider the point made and closed - Provided he stops with the threats via PM.
    Last edited by ssmdive; 01-26-2016 at 05:52 PM.
    1996 Quad City Challenger CWS w/503 - Sold
    1974 7ECA Citabria - Sold
    1986 Pitts S1S

Come on guys, calm down here. Janet is right- let's keep this focused on the issue at hand.
    Jeff Point
    RV-6 and RLU-1 built & flying
    Tech Counselor, Flight Advisor & President, EAA Chapter 18
    Milwaukee, WI
    "It All Started Here!"

The only thing I can think of is that headquarters panicked, somehow.
    WWPD

(What Would Paul Do......)

Quote Originally Posted by Mark van Wyk View Post
    ... I've found that usually the way it works is you just put up with it and take the class and sign the form, and then life goes on as normal.
    Yep. Let's all just be good little sheep, and follow the flock. Nothing bad could POSSIBLY happen... Right.

Mark, that's exactly why this crap keeps happening. Because no one stands up and say, "ENOUGH OF THIS CRAP!!!"

Obviously, and unsurprisingly after reading your posts in this thread, in your case, you were more concerned with keeping your job than with doing the right thing, i.e. saying NO. Well, we don't have to worry about keeping this job. It's a volunteer position. They hold nothing over us.

If we stand up and say, "Not only NO, but HELL NO", maybe next time, some disconnected, oblivious board is considering something so ill-conceived as this might just look at this example and say, "Wait a minute, remember what happened at EAA when they went down this road? They blew up their best program ever."

Maybe not. Maybe there are enough who lack the ... uh... "intestinal fortitude" (cleaned that one up...) to help them reinforce their ridiculous policymaking failures that it will be perpetuated.

But we can always hope, can't we? Well, some of us are saying we need to do more than just hope.
    Last edited by Flyboyron; 01-26-2016 at 06:59 PM.