Page 2 of 75 FirstFirst 12341252 ... LastLast

Thread: Young Eagles and Background Security Checks

Not to make light of what is a real problem in some areas, but we all know there is such a huge risk of children being molested by a pedophile during a 15 minute YE flight...

But EAA has long since succumbed to the Iron Law of Bureaucracy.

Quote Originally Posted by Dana View Post
    Not to make light of what is a real problem in some areas, but we all know there is such a huge risk of children being molested by a pedophile during a 15 minute YE flight...
    The threshold for pedophile is fairly low these days. Display an inappropriate image on a phone or tablet to a minor and you have crossed the line with 14 min to spare.

Quote Originally Posted by FlyingRon View Post
    ...The EAA ain't getting my SSN or driver's license number...
    AmericanChecked asked for my SSN, which I gave, but I don't recall them asking for my driver's license number.

This whole issue reminds us all that the Young Eagles program, where private pilots take kids up for flights in their airplanes, is a risky endeavor. 99.9999999 percent of the time the rides go without a hitch. But, as is inevitable, an unthinkable tragedy is bound to happen, and it did in September 2014 when a kid and the pilot flying him were killed in a Young Eagles flight mid-air collision. (http://www.avweb.com/avwebflash/news...-222822-1.html).
    Now with hyper-political correctness, fear everywhere, and parents ready to sue, the spectre of "sexual impropriety" has raised its ugly head in the YE program.
    We are no longer living in the age of innocence. I hope the YE program survives, but if as another poster wrote, his entire chapter is chucking it because they refuse to undergo the background check, it may not survive.
    I've taken the test and submitted the background check to AmericanChecked. If anything bad happens as a result (such as my information compromised) I will report back. I kind of doubt it, though.
    Do you suppose some people are refusing to undergo the background check because the DO have something to hide? Hmmmmmm?

We have nothing to hide. We do have concerns as to the safety and privacy of OUR information.
    We understand the concern about youth relationships. I would be fine taking the course. Those convicted of sexual offenses are already prohibited from being around youth.
    If you read the entire document you will see how ridiculous some provisions are. The other problem concerns the volunteers. In many cases our chapter works with schools, ROTC, aviation clubs, BSA etc. We can't expect these folks to submit to an EAA background check as well. Many times there wouldn't be enough time. Many of our volunteers are from outside organizations as well. Read the program stipulations. We have to advise a parent if a child is put into a 2 seat aircraft? We have to be supervised while buckling a kid it? What of a 4 seat aircraft, do we have to have a chaperon? We need two "roving" supervisors in addition? If the ROTC from the local high school comes for a day camp what do we do with the teachers and parents are they not qualified to keep an eye on their kids?
    This policy, while it is understandable is simply not practical, intrusive and not well though through.
    I don't know how other chapters do YE flights but we have a flight leader that holds a pilot briefing before each flight, rules and flight plans are given. Before anyone flies the pilots and youngsters all go through another safety and orientation briefing. Why not just extend this youth protection program briefing to the volunteers, who are under supervision of the coordinator anyway?
    Common sense seems to have gone out the window.
    EAA keep in mind we volunteer our aircraft, time, fuel because we love to fly and introduce aviation to kids. It's easy to quit.
    Look at CAP numbers, my understanding is they are hurting, in large part from more and more restrictive rules and regulations.
    Lets protect our kids, but lets do it right, this program isn't right.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark van Wyk View Post
    AmericanChecked asked for my SSN, which I gave, but I don't recall them asking for my driver's license number.
    You think you gave AmericanChecked your SSN, but the site you typed your personal info in is 8f7.com which is hiding behind an anonymous registration. It could be anybody in the whole world.

Quote Originally Posted by FlyingRon View Post
    You think you gave AmericanChecked your SSN, but the site you typed your personal info in is 8f7.com which is hiding behind an anonymous registration. It could be anybody in the whole world.
    Thanks for making me nervous and causing angst. If my information is comprimised, I'll f***ing sue EAA. There, happy?

Quote Originally Posted by Mark van Wyk View Post
    Thanks for making me nervous and causing angst. If my information is comprimised, I'll f***ing sue EAA. There, happy?
    Mark, thanks for doing your part in keeping the program going. The only thing worse than having your personal info compromised is living in fear that your personal info will be compromised.

This is an issue where EAA leadership needs to step to the forefront immediately and explain the situation. Not just the new rules, but why the rules are being put in place. In addition, EAA needs to find ways (other than "We promise") to convince members their private information will not be compromised by the background check. A failure to address both of these issues immediately will be a huge problem on several fronts.

Like others have said here, I'm afraid the background checks will be an issue that many of our volunteers will not be willing to accept. I, too, am afraid the program will have a huge detrimental impact on the YE program. Many pilots refuse to fly Scouts because of their demand for copies of our pilot credentials. Background checks are an even more intrusive requirement. HOWEVER, the policies and practices are there to PROTECT US from false accusations. The odds of being caught up in a problem are minuscule, but they could destroy your life if you get caught up in that type of situation. No one has mentioned the record-keeping requirements. That is going to be a big job and an important one. I'm recommending that our chapter designate a new chapter leadership position for the sole purpose of becoming the expert to oversee and manage this program for all our chapter activities. I can't say that I like it, but I understand why it's being implemented.

Quote Originally Posted by dusterpilot View Post
    Like others have said here, I'm afraid the background checks will be an issue that many of our volunteers will not be willing to accept. I, too, am afraid the program will have a huge detrimental impact on the YE program. Many pilots refuse to fly Scouts because of their demand for copies of our pilot credentials. Background checks are an even more intrusive requirement. HOWEVER, the policies and practices are there to PROTECT US from false accusations. The odds of being caught up in a problem are minuscule, but they could destroy your life if you get caught up in that type of situation. No one has mentioned the record-keeping requirements. That is going to be a big job and an important one. I'm recommending that our chapter designate a new chapter leadership position for the sole purpose of becoming the expert to oversee and manage this program for all our chapter activities. I can't say that I like it, but I understand why it's being implemented.
    A background check does not protect me from a false accusation. I don't see how it protects *me* at all.