Page 12 of 75 FirstFirst ... 210111213142262 ... LastLast

Thread: Young Eagles and Background Security Checks

Quote Originally Posted by rwanttaja View Post
    Actually, the breach last year *was* a private company...under contract to the government. The government then terminated the contract for cause.

Ron Wanttaja
    And that helped those of us who were affected (millions) in what way?

Quote Originally Posted by martymayes View Post
    On the contrary, I see some of the reactions in this thread as not living in the real world. Other youth enrichment programs have been going forward with the similar requirements because it is the new real world standard. As the saying goes "change or die" and I'm pretty sure change will prevail.
    Then as you so kindly said to someone else a few posts back, "Let us know how that works out for you."

Quote Originally Posted by Bret Steffen View Post
    EAA believes in letting our membership communicate freely, as many of you have here.
    EAA believes? Bret, we're EAA. You work for the membership.

The policy helps us ensure that everyone out there who is not as familiar with us understands we take safety of our youth as seriously as every other organization.
    The very definition of "Security Theater". Useless, but it makes everybody feel good.

Background checks...are not effective to prevent someone with no record from harming someone..
    You said it.

AmericanChecked is our third party vendor for the background checks....
    ...and is apparently a sales organization who farms the actual checks out to a 4th party you didn't know about.
    Last edited by DanH; 01-22-2016 at 04:16 PM.
    Dan Horton
    RV-8 Fastback
    Barrett IO-390
    Alabama

Quote Originally Posted by Mark van Wyk View Post
    I trust EAA on this. Ron, your DISTRUST is sowing doubt and you are poisoning, and possibly killing off, the Young Eagles program. If you succeed, I hope you will be proud of yourself.
    My mistrust is WELL FOUNDED. The EAA has had continual problems with computer security and is clear that they are somewhat deficient in their understanding of the issues. And yes, yes having had problems with this in the past, it's going to take a little more than just some EAA reps ASSERTION that things are safe especially in light of evidence to the contrary. NOBODY at the EAA has made any attempt to assuage these fears and I doubt that the tiny minority of EAA Members who show up on this forum are going to determine their opinions on the YOUNG EAGLES program solely on what either YOU or I say.

Quote Originally Posted by Flyboyron View Post
    Agreed, Mark. Hence the abject stupidity of the requirement, which has apparently touched a nerve among a very dedicated, generous, and cooperative group. Maybe YOU wouldn't fly kids outside such an event, but I certainly will. I did it before the YE program started, and I'll do it after it commits suicide. Yes, there certainly will be a falloff, which is why this dumb requirement has to be reversed.

Even in that case, I'll bet it has already permanently damaged one of the best things EAA has done in the last 25 years.

Ron
    It is the single best thing EAA has done in 25 years, by far and away. That is why this is angering so many of those of us who participate on one or more levels. I've worked events where 200+ kids get rides as a ground marshall, and have spent my time, my money and incurred wear and tear on my plane (or rentals) because I believe we need to get more kids interested in flying. But we now have fences around the airports, locks on hangar doors - it is bad enough before you add a new burden that can really only be interetpreted one way for far too many of us - no we need barb wire and a cone of silence around the kids lest one of us behave inappropriately - WHILE FLYING A PLANE FOR A SHORT TRIP AROUND THE PATTERN - EITHER WITH OTHER KIDS IN TH PLANE OR IN A TANDEM MILITARY TRAINER.

This just continues to make flying less fun and less worthy of sharing - the economic burden is already a barrier of entry to so many, let's make it better by cordoning off the airports and treating the guys who give so much as if they are one step away from becoming monsters.

Sorry for those who don't/won't try to understand but this is extremely aggravating for a whole host of reasons speaking for myself.

'Gimp
    Whether you think you can, or think you can't, you're right.

EAA Chapter 14, IAC Chapter 36

http://acrogimp.wordpress.com/

I am sorry to ask this, but has there been an "official" explanation as to why. Again I am arriving to the party late here. I for one keep my privacy rights very well guarded, but I do ( a small small portion of me at least) see a little ( very little) bit of reasoning.
    Rick

As Aviators, we live Operational Risk Management. The Severity of a Risk, measured from green to yellow to red, is a product of the Impact of a Risk and its Probability. Headquarters, eg, the bureaucrati in EAA, not us the rank and file and reason for HQ and the association, has deemed the Risk of a Sexual Predator to be a Red Risk that has to be mitigated.

IM<HO, HQ is playing to some social current. The reality of the situation is that flying with any of us posses a more consequential event (death or serious injury) that has a much higher probability (I think there hav been two YE fatalities).

We are not the Scouts or CAP with extended overnight or secluded unchaperoned time with kids.

i am perfectly happy to declare to the parent of a potential YE copilot that I have not been vetted by the EAA Secret Police, and let them make an informed decision about placing their progeny in my airplane. I'd even wear a Scarlet T shirt with that notice on it.

Members of EAA are respected by the community because of the strength of their character and their actions, not the paper held by nameless bureacrati in Wisconsin.

Ted
    Last edited by TedK; 01-22-2016 at 05:52 PM.

I have it from a reliable source that as of today, approximately 1,200 pilots have taken the training and submitted their info for the background check. That includes me. There are about 5,000 YE pilots nationwide, so that's about one-fifth that are complying. I hope that EAA does not back down, and holds its ground, and I hope that the YE program survives by bringing aboard a new crop of volunteers, who are willing to submit this simple requirement, and who will replace the quitters.
    Last edited by Mark van Wyk; 01-22-2016 at 05:51 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Bret Steffen View Post
    First, I would like to help you understand that this is not a movement initiated by Brian or Michelle or anyone else in the Young Eagles program. Some folks have been pretty mean to these two individuals who have served the YE program for many years now. These folks are the messengers and are here to help us all work through the transition this new policy brings.
    Brian and Michelle signed the letter to me. They instituted the policy by signing this letter. They may have thought they didn't have a choice, but they will lose their job if there is no longer a Young Eagles program. Perhaps they should have involved more people in the Young Eagles program before they issued this letter. They should have been better prepared.

I hate it that people have been mean to them, but they did not have a good answer for me when I called them. Brian did listen and was professional during my whole call.

I think the social security number is a non-issue is a total red-herring, but to each their own.
    Ever had your information stolen and used? If not, then you don't really know why it is an issue.

I'm not willing to be the only one at the airport wearing out my airplane, flying from morning til night, giving rides in my plane to every kid in town that wants one. I need the full support of my fellow YE pilots/plane owners, as in the past, or I too will be forced out.
    I'm amazed at how many YE pilots are so willing to just let this program die over this.
    I am willing to fly kids all day long.... I am not willing to trust the EAA with my data. I guess since you are not willing to fly your plane and I am... That I care more about kids in aviation than you.
    1996 Quad City Challenger CWS w/503 - Sold
    1974 7ECA Citabria - Sold
    1986 Pitts S1S