Page 10 of 75 FirstFirst ... 891011122060 ... LastLast

Thread: Young Eagles and Background Security Checks

Quote Originally Posted by martymayes View Post

You are no doubt right about that because there is always a learning curve. But you can bet it's not going away.
    That isn't the problem. Whoever drew this up and the heads at EAA who approved it are not living in the real world. The plan as presented has 1. privacy concerns to the EAA members as well as to the child and parents and 2 is unworkable, impracticable. Now if the EAA wanted to really do a good job they would have contacted the chapter coordinators first and worked with them on a workable plan and addressed concerns BEFORE announcing the plan.
    Keep in mind we don't work for the EAA, are not compensated in any way and volunteer our time, money and aircraft to better aviation and the EAA. Without membership they will go away.
    I was told last year that the YE credits may be going away after 2015. The cost was too great, well now I can see why. How much is this costing the EAA?

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Rosenow View Post
    Would logic indicate that, given the large number of children on the grounds at AirVenture, similar background checks should be required for all volunteers there? KidVenture jumps out as one of the most obvious venues. Just sayin'......

Jim
    I only volunteer where children are barred from Wisconsin law from being (we've been through that battle with using minors as flight line volunteers).

I would like to clarify a few things for everyone without interfering with your dialogue. EAA believes in letting our membership communicate freely, as many of you have here.

First, I would like to help you understand that this is not a movement initiated by Brian or Michelle or anyone else in the Young Eagles program. Some folks have been pretty mean to these two individuals who have served the YE program for many years now. These folks are the messengers and are here to help us all work through the transition this new policy brings.

There have been incidents in the past three years where YE pilots have been accused of illegal activities regarding youth outside of the program. While not directly linked to the program this has highlighted the fact that EAA has not kept step with the current practices of vetting people who have contact with children. The need for a youth protection policy became an obvious need and was not driven by any single factor, lawyer, or insurance company.

The policy is not intended to “kill” anything. It is intended to keep kids safe and to keep our programs alive and thriving for another 63 years.

EAA volunteers are the highest quality volunteers anywhere, and we have no suspicions that any of you have anything but positive intentions. The policy helps us ensure that everyone out there who is not as familiar with us understands we take safety of our youth as seriously as every other organization.

The policy does cover all EAA chapters, EAA activities in Oshkosh at the HQ and during AirVenture.

Background checks are tools used to assist youth protection programs in many many youth serving activities. They are not effective to prevent someone with no record from harming someone, but they are a tool used as a first line deterrent to a small number of very dangerous people from being involved with children.

AmericanChecked is our third party vendor for the background checks. They provide a secure portal, and have a variety of security procedures and processes in place. More information on them is available in the FAQ page. http://www.eaa.org/en/eaa/aviation-e...FEADB7C10&_z=z

The background check we are getting covers these items: (this is taken from our agreement with them)
    Baseline Background Check $5.00/Person
    · Nationwide Criminal Database
    · Multi-State Sex and Violent Offenders Report
    · Social Security Number Verification
    · Address Locator Report
    · Wanted Persons Security Screen

The sign off at the end of the background check is telling you that this company (and all like it) collects information on every person in the US they can for their database and that the information is gleaned from a host of publicly available information. EAA is not running a credit check on you or looking to see any financial information at all.

Our policy and the training are designed to help all of us engage with youth appropriately and most if not all of the information there will be things you all find reasonable when looked at objectively. We view this as a living document and all involved with its development are open to feedback and expect to see the policies change with the times.

I hope that all of you consider that we do all of this for the kids, and that introducing them to aviation brings us all joy. I hope everyone will please continue to help our kids find that same joy!

First stop with the SSN on the checks and I think compliance will go up significantly.
    Secondly revisit the plan rules where it applies to volunteers. It simply is not workable.
    Third address situations where a second vetted volunteer is not practical or available, ie teaching ground school.
    Review the volunteer requirements and supervision by vetted EAA members. If you need clarification I would be glad to call.

BTW yours is the first post that specifies what information is sought. If you read the disclosure information from EAA, and the vendor it is all encompassing.

Bret, there is zero reason for AmericaCheck to ask for our SSN number for the background check. It is an unnecessary piece of information for that exercise, but is an extremely sensitive piece of our information. THAT is the primary issue with the background check.

I've sent an email requesting information about EAA member spouses and how they will be vetted to assist in events. This has not been answered or addressed in any of the communications.

Moving further, as a member of the IAC, we are subject to EAA rules. We have a number of youth that will show up at contests from the local area. How is this supposed to be handled? In the interest of trying to grow our dwindling numbers, we try to promote IAC contests as a family event and put the kids to work as runners or other non-critical roles to keep them busy. Do we have to now stop that practice, thereby losing competitors since their families are not welcome?

And who, in the the IAC contest structure, is required to do this testing to allow youth at our events?

Quote Originally Posted by combahee View Post
    That isn't the problem. Whoever drew this up and the heads at EAA who approved it are not living in the real world.
    On the contrary, I see some of the reactions in this thread as not living in the real world. Other youth enrichment programs have been going forward with the similar requirements because it is the new real world standard. As the saying goes "change or die" and I'm pretty sure change will prevail.

Byron J. Covey
    Quote Originally Posted by Bret Steffen View Post
    I would like to clarify a few things for everyone without interfering with your dialogue. EAA believes in letting our membership communicate freely, as many of you have here.

First, I would like to help you understand that this is not a movement initiated by Brian or Michelle or anyone else in the Young Eagles program. Some folks have been pretty mean to these two individuals who have served the YE program for many years now. These folks are the messengers and are here to help us all work through the transition this new policy brings.

There have been incidents in the past three years where YE pilots have been accused of illegal activities regarding youth outside of the program. While not directly linked to the program this has highlighted the fact that EAA has not kept step with the current practices of vetting people who have contact with children. The need for a youth protection policy became an obvious need and was not driven by any single factor, lawyer, or insurance company.

The policy is not intended to “kill” anything. It is intended to keep kids safe and to keep our programs alive and thriving for another 63 years.

EAA volunteers are the highest quality volunteers anywhere, and we have no suspicions that any of you have anything but positive intentions. The policy helps us ensure that everyone out there who is not as familiar with us understands we take safety of our youth as seriously as every other organization.

The policy does cover all EAA chapters, EAA activities in Oshkosh at the HQ and during AirVenture.

Background checks are tools used to assist youth protection programs in many many youth serving activities. They are not effective to prevent someone with no record from harming someone, but they are a tool used as a first line deterrent to a small number of very dangerous people from being involved with children.

AmericanChecked is our third party vendor for the background checks. They provide a secure portal, and have a variety of security procedures and processes in place. More information on them is available in the FAQ page. http://www.eaa.org/en/eaa/aviation-e...FEADB7C10&_z=z

The background check we are getting covers these items: (this is taken from our agreement with them)
    Baseline Background Check $5.00/Person
    · Nationwide Criminal Database
    · Multi-State Sex and Violent Offenders Report
    · Social Security Number Verification
    · Address Locator Report
    · Wanted Persons Security Screen

The sign off at the end of the background check is telling you that this company (and all like it) collects information on every person in the US they can for their database and that the information is gleaned from a host of publicly available information. EAA is not running a credit check on you or looking to see any financial information at all.

Our policy and the training are designed to help all of us engage with youth appropriately and most if not all of the information there will be things you all find reasonable when looked at objectively. We view this as a living document and all involved with its development are open to feedback and expect to see the policies change with the times.

I hope that all of you consider that we do all of this for the kids, and that introducing them to aviation brings us all joy. I hope everyone will please continue to help our kids find that same joy!
    Thank you Bret.

But understand that some of us have had enough. Count me out, on principle, of any activity that requires the background check.

I will continue to work to introduce young people to sport aviation, but will do so independently from the EAA.

BJC

Having literally grown up within the EAA community, I'm surprised this training and checking hasn't been implemented sooner. Imagine going to the local parking lot and having your child go for a ride in a Corvette or Motorcycle with a complete stranger for a half hour! EAA's high standards and reputation for ideals like Safety and Trust, are the things that ensure your cell phone will be there when you return from the shower at Oshkosh, etc...

Nobody's personal information, including finger prints are more "out there" than mine. I couldn't complete the training and submit the background check quick enough.

I'm Going Flying!

Happy Landings..... Still!

Quote Originally Posted by Byron J. Covey View Post
    Thank you Bret.

But understand that some of us have had enough. Count me out, on principle, of any activity that requires the background check.

I will continue to work to introduce young people to sport aviation, but will do so independently from the EAA.

BJC
    Same here. And for the apologists accusing those of us who have issues and concerns with this new requirement as either 'having something to hide' or being unrealistic and basically providing a 'don't let the door hit you in the ass on the way out' attitude, I hope your chapters don't have too many like you - explains why our sport and our organization is shrinking.

'Gimp
    Whether you think you can, or think you can't, you're right.

EAA Chapter 14, IAC Chapter 36

http://acrogimp.wordpress.com/

Quote Originally Posted by avee8r View Post
    Having literally grown up within the EAA community, I'm surprised this training and checking hasn't been implemented sooner. Imagine going to the local parking lot and having your child go for a ride in a Corvette or Motorcycle with a complete stranger for a half hour! EAA's high standards and reputation for ideals like Safety and Trust, are the things that ensure your cell phone will be there when you return from the shower at Oshkosh, etc...

Nobody's personal information, including finger prints are more "out there" than mine. I couldn't complete the training and submit the background check quick enough.

I'm Going Flying!

Happy Landings..... Still!
    I think the social security number is a non-issue is a total red-herring, but to each their own. I totally understand the need for this type of vetting, although some of the rules are a bit much. I took the online course and submitted my information, and I MAY go flying. We will see how this affects participation by pilots/planes. At the last YE event where I flew about 10 kids (one at a time right seat in my mighty C-150), there was a line stretching half a block all day long. I think the final number flown was 150 or maybe more. Most were flown three at a time in four-seater airplanes. We need lots of pilots and planes to make this a success. If say 50 percent or more of the pilots/planes bail, the rest are going to be stuck with the burden, and maybe some kids will need to be turned away. I'm not willing to be the only one at the airport wearing out my airplane, flying from morning til night, giving rides in my plane to every kid in town that wants one. I need the full support of my fellow YE pilots/plane owners, as in the past, or I too will be forced out.
    I'm amazed at how many YE pilots are so willing to just let this program die over this.