Page 66 of 75 FirstFirst ... 16566465666768 ... LastLast

Thread: Young Eagles and Background Security Checks

Byron J. Covey
    Originally Posted by ssmdive
    Seriously, does anyone know of a way I can be in the IAC without being a member of the EAA? I'd drop the EAA like a bad habit, just like they seemed to have dropped the whole concept of the EAA.
    http://www.biplaneforum.com/showpost...2&postcount=52
    Thank you for that.

BJC

I already do that. But I am still an EAA member and have to pay them 10 dollars. They get to count me in their rolls as 'supporting them'... Same trick they play with Airventures membership.
    1996 Quad City Challenger CWS w/503 - Sold
    1974 7ECA Citabria - Sold
    1986 Pitts S1S

Quote Originally Posted by ssmdive View Post
    If the EAA is willing to pay me 30K a year I will take any training and complete any background check information they want. But last I checked, I pay THEM.
    The key point, of course. I have to take a ton of online training at work, from business courtesies to ethics to hazardous waste handling to clean-room procedures. Because I have accounts on some government computer systems, I also have to take many of the GOVERNMENT-equivalent courses...and, frankly, I couldn't care less that Manual ABC-333-111 governs the PII-protection procedures of agency XYZ.

But...my employer pays me an ungodly amount of money, and so I salute and take the cute little course where I earn "rocket parts".

Here's a closer analogy to Young Eagles: Imagine you're walking down the street just before Christmas and see a Salvation Army bell-ringer. You pull a quarter out of your pocket and start reaching for the kettle. "Not so fast!" says the bell-ringer. "Please take this online course, and give us your name, address, phone number, etc. for a background check."

This policy ticks-off the people Young Eagles needs the most: The pilots who donate their time, aircraft, and the money required to keep the tanks filled to fly kids.

Young Eagles is ~31,000 kids short of two million. It would have been nice if they'd completed the second million under the old rules (or less onerous versions of what they chose), then honorably retired "Young Eagles" and merged it with "EAA Eagle Flights" with the new protections. As it is, it's leaving a bad taste in the mouth of a lot those who helped make it to 1,969,000 kids.

Ron Wanttaja

Quote Originally Posted by ssmdive View Post
    If the EAA is willing to pay me 30K a year I will take any training and complete any background check information they want. But last I checked, I pay THEM. Last I looked, they are supposed to represent the membership. I don't think there was a massive call from the membership to change the YE program.

Seriously, does anyone know of a way I can be in the IAC without being a member of the EAA? I'd drop the EAA like a bad habit, just like they seemed to have dropped the whole concept of the EAA.

When is the next election of anyone in the EAA that supports this abortion?
    Right there with you! Debating whether or not to enter first contest for the year right now and really torn.

'Gimp
    Whether you think you can, or think you can't, you're right.

EAA Chapter 14, IAC Chapter 36

http://acrogimp.wordpress.com/

FWIW I spoke to a pilot yesterday with over 1000 YE flights. He mailed in his card withdrew from EAA and said good by. The local EAA chapter currently doesn't have enough people committed to the training/check to have any event sponsored by EAA. Now looks like local pilots and FBO will just do fly in's for locals.

What will the EAA do to help a member whose information was hacked at the provider of the background check? That information goes to one third party before going to another party doing the actual background check.

Apparently the results of the background check will be delivered to EAA for review. Will this information be stored on a "totally secure" server and only be availalbe to the one person who reviews it.

How many people at EAA will actually be needed to complete the reviews? To what level of security check will all of those people be subjected? What help will the EAA provide to a member whose information is hacked at EAA?

Will the reports be stored in a Mason jar on Funk and Wagnall's front porch? The actual security will be about the same.

There are simply too many holes in this program for the comfort of any Young Eagles volunteer.

Have we let Pandora out of her box?

While I fully understand the reasoning behind the new policies, I am not so sure we have not let Pandora out of her box with no real answers on how to get her back in! I will tell you after speaking with several chapter leaders in our area the new mandate is not being well received! During a recent poll at the last meeting of our chapter members, 2/3 of those present were opposed to the changes outright and the other third were opposed as it is stated currently. We will suspend youth activities until such a time when more answers are made available. If we are going to see GA continue we need to attract the younger people to it. But with the new constraints it will make it much more problematic! I suggest every member request their chapter leaders to e-mail Jack Pelton with their opinions and just how it is affecting their current youth programs. Jack this needs to be fixed sooner then later or the youth programs may very well be at risk of collapse.

Quote Originally Posted by Copapilot View Post
    I'm done with YE and EAA itself. My membership expires on April 30, which is also the last day I would permit any YE kids to fly with me, so the timing is perfect. I will also issue a directive that none of the rental aircraft may be used for any EAA activity in which minors are allowed to participate (it's all about liability Mr. Pelton, and two can play at that game - you just lost an average of 360 kids a year due to me and my planes to protect MY liability interests).
    As much as it pains me to say so ... I completely support your position.

I know a number of individuals that have supported the YE program and the EAA for more than a decade that are throwing in the towel over this issue they are so disgusted. YE flights and other youth activities are being cancelled; coordinators stepping down, directives being put out not to allow flight line aircraft to be used for any EAA events. One guy even indicated he's pulling his Planned Giving.

It's a very, very sad day in the life of this organization. EAA membership may not notice these changes tomorrow but the numbers will be different a year from now. Like you I will let my membership expire this Spring and will find another venue to share my enthusiasm for aviation and resources.

Quote Originally Posted by Slick View Post
    I suggest every member request their chapter leaders to e-mail Jack Pelton with their opinions and just how it is affecting their current youth programs. Jack this needs to be fixed sooner then later or the youth programs may very well be at risk of collapse.
    If EAA HQ cared about the impact, they would survey the chapter presidents asking about the impact to the individual chapters. It appears to me the lawyers have the leadership terrified. That tells me we don't have any leadership. In all the years I was a chapter president, the only real communications I had from HQ came in the form of them wanting money or to inform us we weren't allowed to do something as a chapter the risk management people felt was of too great of a risk for them.

Jack has sent out two (or more) emails in support of this program, so I would think his support is fully behind it. I don't expect him to fix anything.

Like many others, my 28 year membership expires in November, then I'll be gone. This isn't the organization I worked to build.

-Cub Builder

I weighed in much earlier, but I'll ask again, if somewhat rhetorically: Hasn't America changed to the point that innocent programs like Young Eagles can no longer exist? Sadly, in case after case, well intentioned and innocent activities such as this, and perhaps EAA itself, can no longer be enjoyed due to degenerates amongst us, and lawyers looking to protect us whether we like it or not, at great profit to themselves? Oh, and let's not forget the Great Altar of Political Correctness. The slippery slope just pitched nose down another degree. I pray God continues to Bless America.