Page 60 of 75 FirstFirst ... 1050585960616270 ... LastLast

Thread: Young Eagles and Background Security Checks

I don’t know it this is precisely on topic or not, but it is certainly related.

Many of us are very concerned about the next generation of pilots and aviation enthusiasts…and the generation after that. (I am 58, and at many aviation events I am one of the younger pilots there. To me, that is kind of concerning.) Many – maybe most – people lay the blame on the high cost of aviation. There is certainly one factor, but aviation has never been cheap. I think that the more important factor is that over the last 20 years, the government AND PRIVATE ASSOCIATIONS have done everything they can to take the fun and adventure out of flying. People fly because it is FUN. Adventure implies taking on a certain amount of risk – and accepting the personal responsibility to manage that risk and come home safely. I am not implying that aviation should be more risky. I am pointing out that the fun is gone.

One reason I became active in my local chapter and the Young Eagles program is because my other aviation adventure – Civil Air Patrol – quite successfully sucked all of the fun out of participation. It has become work. More, the things you have to do to fly is drudgery, every facet micromanaged and covered in paperwork, real and digital. Heaven help you if you make one administrative mistake. I found EAA to be a return to simpler aviation. The joy of flight and the YE program, as managed by my chapter, brought the fun back: for the pilots, the ground team, and especially the kids. Even if these kids never become a pilot or fly in the pointy end of an airplane again, they will have learned that flying is fun…and a GOOD thing.

Now EAA senior management comes along and decides to suck the fun out of anything to do with attracting youth to aviation. We now see that this is not restricted to YE, but there will now be comparable fun sucking efforts for chapter activities and AirVenture. Instead of some very reasonable proposals for effective risk management, EAA management imposes a heavy handed, cumbersome, poorly thought out program (I can say “poorly thought” based on all of the revisions they had to make since rolling it out). The only justification cited is that everyone else is doing it. If one were just a little more cynical, one could say that it looks like it was intended to chase pilots away and otherwise make the YE program unmanageable. The direct effect on the youth we are trying to attract is less severe, but the second order effects are huge. It will certainly affect the access of youth to aviation.

The YE website includes this line: “Hard work and dedication of volunteers is the primary reason why the Young Eagles continues to be a success in building the next generation of aviators.”

In the Army, I learned that there were two considerations: the mission and the men. Of the two, the mission comes first. The catch is that you can’t accomplish the mission without the men. Right now, EAA management seems to be willing to sacrifice the men and women to accomplish the mission. To lose that “dedication of volunteers” necessary for the success of the program. As a result, they will fail in the mission of “building the next generation of aviators.”
    Chris Mayer
    N424AF
    www.o2cricket.com

vettdriver, our chapter will suspend all YE activities after our March monthly YE rally. We just paid our $350 dues to national. Out board is taking up the matter of withdrawing entirely for next year. We will still fly kids, however it will be outside EAA, complete with insurance, waivers etc. So it isn't the kids who will suffer. Besides the EAA policy gave absolutely no protection of any kind to the pilots, only to EAA.

Chris, wonderful comment.

EAA National Hq. Don't you guys get it? 50,000 views of this thread! How much bad publicity do you want?
    When you say the background checks are at no expense to us, who are you kidding? Where do you think the money comes from? You sound like some of the members of Congress!

Quote Originally Posted by vettdvr View Post
    Our chapter has also put any event with under 18 on hold. The members are to report on completing the EAA requirements. Most don't want to do the back ground check. One dropped out of the chapter permanently. I won't know until next month if enough have completed the training to even sponsor an event. The wifes that did the cooking in the kitchen also refused to do the qualification. Now we have no one to cook and only 2 of 10 that have completed the training. We were doing a plan for the year with fly events that might have under 18 and everything is on hold.
    I enter the fray with a bit of trepidation, but I just want to clarify something here. Those helping in the kitchen do not have to do the training or background checks for a YE Rally. That is only for the pilots, YE coordinators and ground crew. I understand that doesn't completely alleviate your concerns, but just wanted to at least take one concern off the table.

Thanks,
    Eric
    Eric Cernjar, EAA # 1133654

Byron J. Covey
    ws
    Quote Originally Posted by combahee View Post
    vettdriver, our chapter will suspend all YE activities after our March monthly YE rally. We just paid our $350 dues to national. Out board is taking up the matter of withdrawing entirely for next year. We will still fly kids, however it will be outside EAA, complete with insurance, waivers etc. So it isn't the kids who will suffer. Besides the EAA policy gave absolutely no protection of any kind to the pilots, only to EAA.

Chris, wonderful comment.

EAA National Hq. Don't you guys get it? 50,000 views of this thread! How much bad publicity do you want?
    When you say the background checks are at no expense to us, who are you kidding? Where do you think the money comes from? You sound like some of the members of Congress!
    The EAA has devolved into an advocacy group (with questionable results), a second rate publisher (thanks, Mac, that makes two magazines that you have destroyed) and a commercial airshow stager.

Does anyone have a "Sport Flying Club" that emulates what the EAA once was? I'm thinking of something with no charter, no bylaws, no national dues, no inane rules, just a bunch of people getting together regularly, socializing, going to other airports to see a bunch of airplanes (i.e., a non-sanctioned, non-insured fly-in), and sharing a love of sport aviation?

Thanks,

BJC

The last several posts have been right on point. I joined EAA 27 years ago as a part of a chapter of like minded individuals interested in sport aviation and building aircraft. In that time, I built 3 aircraft, earned my A&P, served at Tech Counselor, Flight Advisor, Chapter President, and several other positions. When the YE program came along, I jumped on board like many others and have flown a significant number of kids. A few have gone on to become pilots, but the positive PR we have generated at the local airports has been probably the most important product of the YE program. Like so many others on here, I have donated thousands of hours and thousands of $$ to the EAA. But the national EAA seems to have devolved exactly as Byron describes in the previous post. And as described by Chris, they are sucking the fun out of it with an overreaching, overbearing program that is designed only as defensive PR for EAA HQ. The only reason I would consider staying with the EAA at this point is for the advocacy in Congress, but IMHO, the EAA only does this as a voice to echo behind AOPA, who seems to lead the charge.

I'm waiting for someone to revive SAA (Sport Aviation Association). I suspect if that was to happen, a number of chapters would sever ties with EAA and become SAA chapters. Note to EAA leadership: You have made the EAA vulnerable by alienating a number of your membership. It's up to you to attempt to fix it while you can.

-Cub Builder
    Last edited by cub builder; 02-17-2016 at 10:48 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by cub builder View Post

I'm waiting for someone to revive SAA (Sport Aviation Association). I suspect if that was to happen, a number of chapters would sever ties with EAA and become SAA chapters. Note to EAA leadership: You have made the EAA vulnerable by alienating a number of your membership. It's up to you to attempt to fix it while you can.

-Cub Builder
    Interesting, CB! I wonder if any of the founders are still around? Perhaps it's time for those of us more concerned about flying than other things to wish EAA best of luck with their air/trade show and move along. Lordy, it's taken some frustration to reach this point. Are you listening HQ? Come back to us!

Jim
    EAA 64315 (1971-2015...the membership, not me :-)

Quote Originally Posted by Byron J. Covey View Post
    Does anyone have a "Sport Flying Club" that emulates what the EAA once was? I'm thinking of something with no charter, no bylaws, no national dues, no inane rules, just a bunch of people getting together regularly, socializing, going to other airports to see a bunch of airplanes (i.e., a non-sanctioned, non-insured fly-in), and sharing a love of sport aviation?
    I wish someone would organize something like this, a "flashmob" type aviation event where everyone assembles at a non-announced airport, hangs out for the day and leaves. Don't need to insure the event because it wasn't planned. Just happened.

Quote Originally Posted by martymayes View Post
    I wish someone would organize something like this, a "flashmob" type aviation event where everyone assembles at a non-announced airport, hangs out for the day and leaves. Don't need to insure the event because it wasn't planned. Just happened.
    2PM...my hangar at KBJJ....I'll make coffee!! :-)

Jim

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Rosenow View Post
    2PM...my hangar at KBJJ....I'll make coffee!! :-)
    !!!!!
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Jim, Will go one better. Come to KSAW and I will provide coffee AND donuts.

Bill l