Page 70 of 75 FirstFirst ... 20606869707172 ... LastLast

Thread: Young Eagles and Background Security Checks

Quote Originally Posted by crusty old aviator View Post
    If you don't want to give them your SSN, make one up and see what happens. I use my +4 zip code. What's the worst that can happen, you get denied?
    Well if they background check company was worth a plug nickel, it would probably be rejected. First off, there are checks in the system, not all 9 digit numbers are valid SSNs. Second, while no SSN may still allow a check, a mismatched SSN with your identity probably should be caught.

Quote Originally Posted by TomBush View Post
    Based on the numbers you posted, Bret, the EAA has at the moment lost 53% of its volunteer pilot population over this abomination of a program. Ouch. . .

With seven weeks before it is required, and well ahead of our regular flying season, we are actually pleased with where things are at. We have 2 million to reach, it is time to get your training and background check done too!

Quote Originally Posted by Eric Cernjar View Post
    I believe what Glory meant is that her, Dennis, myself and others have sought out people internally to be able to answer the questions that members have had on these forums.

For the most part our intent is to have these forums be a place for members to interact with each other, but when we see places that it makes sense to interject we have and will continue to do so.

Additionally, we are encouraging people to contact us directly to discuss questions or concerns. Some conversations can be adequately handled via the forums, but sometimes a live conversation can be a more effective means. If you feel that you're not getting the answers you are looking for here, I can help facilitate a conversation with EAA staff that can better answer your questions.

Thanks,
    Eric
    I never got a response on here or when I emailed HQ about what steps the EAA was willing to take if my personal information was stolen from you or your vendor.

So I have asked here, and via email. The email was sent to: Feed Back <feedback@eaa.org>, Bret Steffen <bsteffen@eaa.org>, and Janine Diana <jdiana@eaa.org> on Jan 22, 2016 at 7:24PM. I emailed those people, because they were the people that emailed me about my initial opinion about the YE program changes.

"Now, what is the EAA willing to do if my data is stolen from your vendor? You going to pay for my credit to be repaired? You going to handle the countless piles of paperwork and dealing with the credit bureaus? Is the EAA going to contact all the companies that think I owe them money and explain the situation?"

And I NEVER got a reply via email or on here.
    1996 Quad City Challenger CWS w/503 - Sold
    1974 7ECA Citabria - Sold
    1986 Pitts S1S

Quote Originally Posted by ssmdive View Post
    I never got a response on here or when I emailed HQ about what steps the EAA was willing to take if my personal information was stolen from you or your vendor.

So I have asked here, and via email. The email was sent to: Feed Back <feedback@eaa.org>, Bret Steffen <bsteffen@eaa.org>, and Janine Diana <jdiana@eaa.org> on Jan 22, 2016 at 7:24PM. I emailed those people, because they were the people that emailed me about my initial opinion about the YE program changes.

"Now, what is the EAA willing to do if my data is stolen from your vendor? You going to pay for my credit to be repaired? You going to handle the countless piles of paperwork and dealing with the credit bureaus? Is the EAA going to contact all the companies that think I owe them money and explain the situation?"

And I NEVER got a reply via email or on here.

I'd highly recommend attending the webinar on Monday night. Some of these questions will be addressed, and additionally you have the ability to ask questions.

Generally speaking, I do not feel you are at a financial risk going through this process. You aren't providing a social security number, a credit card number, or any other information that could be used to harm your credit. Typically hackers are going after private and valuable information, not mailing address information. That said, if you can demonstrate that you were harmed due to this background check, yes there is insurance in place.
    Eric Cernjar, EAA # 1133654

Quote Originally Posted by Eric Cernjar View Post
    I'd highly recommend attending the webinar on Monday night. Some of these questions will be addressed, and additionally you have the ability to ask questions.

Generally speaking, I do not feel you are at a financial risk going through this process. You aren't providing a social security number, a credit card number, or any other information that could be used to harm your credit. Typically hackers are going after private and valuable information, not mailing address information. That said, if you can demonstrate that you were harmed due to this background check, yes there is insurance in place.
    Unless I am mistaken your date of birth is still required. Very usefull information for an identity theif. It combined with your full name and address and they are 90% home.

Quote Originally Posted by vaflier View Post
    Unless I am mistaken your date of birth is still required. Very usefull information for an identity theif. It combined with your full name and address and they are 90% home.

Both of those pieces of info can be valuable, but without credit card info or social security info, the value is limited. Because of that, I think it's fair to say this isn't a rich target for hackers. We do absolutely take our members' information and security concerns seriously and feel we have found a solution that does not compromise our members' information.
    Eric Cernjar, EAA # 1133654

I love the Young Eagles Program, have participated in MANY Young Eagles events but am witnessing its agonizing death.
    Eric, is Jack Pelton too far in the ozone to field questions and reply on THIS forum? Have found Jack to be VERY approachable. Yet, his participation here is deafening. Is he reading and is he aware of this forum? What would Paul do facing similar?

The webinar... will Jack Pelton participate and will questions be fielded?
    Last edited by Marty Santic; 03-10-2016 at 08:04 PM.

EAA how about answering just this one question. What protection is there in this for the pilots and volunteers?

I have stayed away from this thread for several weeks now and note some interesting bits of information. The Poll thread has all of 98 votes in 7 weeks. Since you can only vote once that is a strong data point. That thread has had 5,700+ views.
    This thread has had 63K views and nearly 700 postings. A quick scan of the postings has about 50 unique posters. With Nat indicating about 5000 active YE pilots..... Fourth grade math has that at the proverbial 1% . 50% have already signed up and I know many are hangar sitting waiting for the dust to settle and a "final" policy and procedure to be developed and presented.
    So my take on this is ..... Will we loose pilots due to this? - sure, they are also the kind of people who don't like change in general.
    My chapter looses 5% of pilots every year due to death.

What I find interesting in the chapter is everyone says yes lets do the training, I'll be there when you need me. Most have NO plane and don't pay for the flying or do the ramp work. Easy to vote and say yes when you don't do the work.