Page 74 of 75 FirstFirst ... 246472737475 LastLast

Thread: Young Eagles and Background Security Checks

What we want to see in my chapter at this point is;
    that the EAA will secure the attorney and pay for the pilots defense if we are accused of wrongdoing.
    Secondly get rid of the recurring background check, it only serves to waste money.
    Third loosen the 2 deep requirement. for instance if we have 20 kids 4 adults and 5 pilots flying and only one ground person that has the background check we either stop the rally, or ground a pilot ticking her/her off, yet the kids are perfectly supervised.
    The pilot protection discussed last night needs to be in writing.

"public record information such as, but not limited to: my driving record, judgments, bankruptcy proceedings, evictions, criminal records, etc., from federal, state, and other agencies that maintain such records.

Authorization
    I hereby authorize procurement of consumer report(s) and investigative consumer report(s) by Company. If hired (or contracted), this authorization shall remain on file and shall serve as ongoing authorization for Company to procure such reports at any time during my employment, contract, or volunteer period. I authorize without reservation, any person, business or agency contacted by the consumer reporting agency to furnish the above-mentioned information."

While this may be a standard authorization by Americheck I do have misgivings about this. The authorization gives broad permission for information and storage and use of such far beyond what has been reported here and by the EAA.
    How about a comment from EAA?

Quote Originally Posted by Eric Cernjar View Post
    I don't think we're looking at this in terms of what is an acceptable loss. Ultimately, we had concerns about the lack of having a policy in place, and felt that going this route would provide improved protection for kids.
    Hi Eric,
    Thank you for your response. I'm not sure this is what you meant, but what I am interpreting is that even if the background check policy resulted in not having enough members for a Chapter, or even a majority of Chapters, to be able to continue doing youth programs and/or YE, that would be an acceptable result to EAA National. Would that be a correct statement?

-Dj

Who in this wide, wide world determined what is "best practices"? Is the determination made based on results? How does one prove a negative, i.e. that the program prevented an occurance of that which the program was intended to prevent?

It is certainly very easy to prove that something did occur that was encouraged by a positive best practices program.

Are best practices those that everyone is employing and others follow like sheep? How does that make them best practices?

Americanchecked?

The question was asked during the webinar, "Is it true the Americancheck does not do the actual background checks but forwards the information to another entity who does the actual check?" The response was in the negative.

The correct answer depends on which of many programs EAA selected from the many at Americanchecked. There is one option for volunteers for which the background check is done by an affiliate of Americanchecked. Is that the program that EAA selected?

There was some information in one of the early postings that indicated that the personal information was being entered at 8F7.com and included the whois results that indicated it was a rather anonymous site based not in Oklahoma, where Americanchecked is located, but in Arizona. It is on page 3, post number 21 of this thread.

Quote Originally Posted by Bret Steffen View Post
    A rally is something that is organized by a chapter YE coordinator or an individual field rep (there are only a couple dozen of those) to serve a large group of kids.
    The actual policy needs to clearly say what is a "non-rally" YE event and what parts of the policy don't apply to such events. Otherwise, the common definition of "rally" will be used to fry the EAA member when something happens or is alleged.

Ultimately, we had concerns about the lack of having a policy in place, and felt that going this route would provide improved protection for kids.
    Eric - if I understand things correctly, "individual pilots flying Young Eagles on their own simply need to do the training and background check, as the rest of the policy applies only to rally situations."

This means "individual pilots flying Young Eagles on their own" are completely unsupervised as there is no need for the "Two-Deep Leadership" supervision as with a rally or group event.

Scenario: A parent brings their child to a pilot who is going to take them up on a ride. The parent has no way of knowing if the the pilot has taken the awareness training or the background check. In fact, the way the regs are written, there is a good chance no one at the field would know if the EAA YE Pilot was YPP "legal.

How does this provide improved protection for the kids?

Help me out here. I just don't see how this program makes any sense.

Quote Originally Posted by RickG View Post
    Eric - if I understand things correctly, "individual pilots flying Young Eagles on their own simply need to do the training and background check, as the rest of the policy applies only to rally situations."

This means "individual pilots flying Young Eagles on their own" are completely unsupervised as there is no need for the "Two-Deep Leadership" supervision as with a rally or group event.

Scenario: A parent brings their child to a pilot who is going to take them up on a ride. The parent has no way of knowing if the the pilot has taken the awareness training or the background check. In fact, the way the regs are written, there is a good chance no one at the field would know if the EAA YE Pilot was YPP "legal.

How does this provide improved protection for the kids?

Help me out here. I just don't see how this program makes any sense.

So please take me with a small grain of salt, as I'm doing my best to be responsive to you guys but I am not senior leadership. I've taken the training, I've been in on a few conversations on the topic, I've read the policy and I sat in on the webinar on Monday night so that's what I'm basing my answers on.

In your scenario, a parent would not know if the pilot took the training. However a parent also wouldn't know who took the training during a regular rally. Much like pilots are self-certifying when it comes to ensuring they have a current medical, they've done their flight review and their plane is airworthy, it is up to the pilot to self certify that they've taken the training. Chapter leaders shouldn't knowingly allow someone that hasn't done the training to fly young eagles, but it is not the responsibility of the chapter leader to keep a list of who has and has not done the training.

To that end, both scenarios are comparable in that it's up to the pilot to self certify. You are correct that there is not two deep leadership in your situation, but the parent would be there with their child.

Hope that helps,
    Eric
    Eric Cernjar, EAA # 1133654

So please take me with a small grain of salt, as I'm doing my best to be responsive to you guys but I am not senior leadership. I've taken the training, I've been in on a few conversations on the topic, I've read the policy and I sat in on the webinar on Monday night so that's what I'm basing my answers on.
    There in lies the problem, nobody from senior leadership has stepped up to answer questions directly, almost like they are hiding behind lower level management to take the heat. Where is "senior" legal counsel? Why isn't that person fielding questions on what the legalities of this policy are?

Quote Originally Posted by krw920 View Post
    There in lies the problem, nobody from senior leadership has stepped up to answer questions directly, almost like they are hiding behind lower level management to take the heat. Where is "senior" legal counsel? Why isn't that person fielding questions on what the legalities of this policy are?
    +1 +1 +1, Perfectly said....... PERFECT!!!!