Page 24 of 75 FirstFirst ... 1422232425263474 ... LastLast

Thread: Young Eagles and Background Security Checks

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark van Wyk View Post
    Success!
    Success,eh? I'd say a voluntary abdication of your civil liberties and a repudiation of your privacy rights. Plus in the near future the aggravation and fear of having your personal information compromised because s**t happens.

Quote Originally Posted by Floatsflyer View Post
    Success,eh? I'd say a voluntary abdication of your civil liberties and a repudiation of your privacy rights. Plus in the near future the aggravation and fear of having your personal information compromised because s**t happens.
    Could not have said that better myself!

Quote Originally Posted by Glory Aulik View Post
    .......we are listening to what you’re saying and can expect to receive an update on the situation very soon.
    Glory.... Thank you for replying on the behalf of HQ. WHEN can we expect to receive an update on how this issue will be resolved?

Quote Originally Posted by Marty Santic View Post
    Glory.... Thank you for replying on the behalf of HQ. WHEN can we expect to receive an update on how this issue will be resolved?
    I don't have a specific date, but I would say sometime this week, if not early next!

Byron J. Covey
    In an earlier post I made reference to your elected representatives. Jeff responded:

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Point View Post
    Not to be too argumentative here, but we do not have elected representatives in this organization. That is a big source of many of our problems.
    I understand the sentiment, but it is possible for Association members to set the direction of the Association through the election of Directors. Here is how it works: https://www.eaa.org/en/eaa/about-eaa...r-proxy-voting

The enemy of change is membership apathy; it is too easy to simply sign the proxy statement.

In case you wanted to know who your current representatives are: https://www.eaa.org/en/eaa/about-eaa...d-of-directors

Talk or act; your choice.

BJC

Before people start lighting their torches and sharpening their pitchforks...

It's my understanding this was not a Board level decision. Like most companies, some policies develop at the middle management level. EAA has become big enough where that now happens. Unfortunately, I doubt most of those folks are as active in EAA's programs as the membership is and don't understand fully how they work.
    John Smutny

Life is not a journey to the grave intending of arriving safely in a well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, used up, worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Damn, what a ride!

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by smutny View Post
    It's my understanding this was not a Board level decision. Like most companies, some policies develop at the middle management level. EAA has become big enough where that now happens. Unfortunately, I doubt most of those folks are as active in EAA's programs as the membership is and don't understand fully how they work.
    Your speculation is as valid as anyone's. My speculation is as follows:

I don't believe for one nano second that this new policy was put forward without the express approval of an individual(s) at the board level and/or Jack--too much importance. It may have been a project for a middle manager but it required approval by upper management for it to be put forward as new policy to be implemented.

This is pure speculation of course but the genesis and raison d'être occurred in the following manner before it got to some staff member as a project. One of two scenarios occurred. Either EAA's current insurer did an evaluation of risk and liability as contractually required over the term and concluded that this was an area where the Association was difficient and exposed. OR EAA has taken on a new insurer and they were required to conduct an audit to identify exposure to liability prior to providing coverage in a new insurance policy.
    Last edited by Floatsflyer; 01-27-2016 at 03:44 PM.

Byron J. Covey
    Quote Originally Posted by smutny View Post
    Before people start lighting their torches and sharpening their pitchforks...

John:

I certainly am not advocating lighting torches or sharpening pitchforks.

Regardless of the level of management involved, the Directors have a role to play, and if they fully understand the membership's concerns as well as management's concerns, then they should be able to meet their responsibilities.

BJC

Quote Originally Posted by Byron J. Covey View Post
    John:I certainly am not advocating lighting torches or sharpening pitchforks.
    It wasn't directed at you in particular. This board has a lot of Keyboard Kommandos that love to rabble-rouse when they don't agree with things. Before they started shooting off emails and calls to the list you provided, they should know that many Board members were not aware of the change. Were some? Possibly. But based on the conversations I've had, it was not a BoD decision.
    John Smutny

Life is not a journey to the grave intending of arriving safely in a well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, used up, worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Damn, what a ride!

Quote Originally Posted by DanH View Post
    -----------
    However, I stopped at the online application for a criminal background check. In the Age of Hacking, we're all taught that we should never submit our name, DOB, and SSN online. Even if legit, most companies have a miserable record at protecting data. So who the heck is this hired background security check company, and why should I trust them with personal data fundamental to identity theft?

I totally agree with the issue on sending all critical numbers for identity theft to any one. HIGH RISK. If the Veterans, Federal Gov, hospitals, can hack the info why does EAA need it? I just5 had a background from State police why didn't the EAA just check there is already one completed. I did send the info in against my better judgment hope it doesn't bite me later. I think this can and has the potential to have a negative effect on YE. Several pilots that fly YE have had state back ground checks and are reluctant to all the record keeping of who's trained, who isn't keeping chapter records, permission slips. Getting to be a police state with too much red tape.