Page 72 of 75 FirstFirst ... 22627071727374 ... LastLast

Thread: Young Eagles and Background Security Checks

Quote Originally Posted by Jkan View Post
    Headquarters must protect youth from all the perverts out there who are flying young eagles. WHAT A CROCK. For your information, Eric, there are no, nor have there ever been, any problems with child abuse from Y. E. pilots.
    I don't argue the "Crock" part, but there have been a couple of close calls. Mark Van Wyk posted a news item about a man arrested for abuse, he had flown over 100 Young Eagles. None of the YEs had been targeted, but the man could have exploited the contact with them.

Ron Wanttaja

Lots of "could have"'s there. AND the background check would not of flagged this guy. Had he submitted to the background check, then flew 100 Young Eagles and was then subsequently arrested he falls thru the giant black hole. Any arrest after the initial check goes unnoticed.

Quote Originally Posted by Marty Santic View Post
    Lots of "could have"'s there. AND the background check would not of flagged this guy. Had he submitted to the background check, then flew 100 Young Eagles and was then subsequently arrested he falls thru the giant black hole. Any arrest after the initial check goes unnoticed.
    But it's the "could haves" that make the lawyers and bureaucrats nervous.

A predator who manages to be successful in his profession or his business sufficiently to buy an airplane is probably *very* good at hiding his activities. The case I mentioned, the perp was in his '40s, and you can probably guess he didn't start abusing just the previous year. And, like you said, the background check wouldn't have done a darn thing...except provide cover for EAA, who could claim they'd done all they could to protect the kids.

Ron Wanttaja

My questions for the webinar;
    1. How does this protect me the pilot or the Chapter, what benefit is there for us?

2. How much will this cost over the next 10 years?
    Using what is a probably a very low number, the only number given so far, but at 3,000 background checks @$5 each is $15,000. That's over $45,000 in 9 years assuming the checks reoccur every 3 years and no one else joins the program. If the real figure is double that then over 10 years we are looking at over a $100,000. Not a very good ratio or cost to benefit. Bet you could get some very good insurance for less than that and not lose any pilots.

Some observations from our chapter yesterday;

A percentage will not submit to a background check under any circumstances.

We will lose the "casual" pilot who does not fly YE regularly if they have not completed a background check. Not helpful in recruiting new pilots.

Of the pilots willing to take the background check initially they want to know EXACTLY what is looked at? NO recurring background checks, once is enough. Hell we are screaming about the recurring 3rd Class Physical! Where exactly is their information stored and will the third party have copies or access to it. What protections and safeguards are in position. Is there protection in case of a breach?

Most don't object to the online training. Allow a person who has taken the online training to be part of the 2 deep leadership, and allow the training the day of the event. So we don't lose an event for lack of "qualified" personnel on the ground.

Allow a notarized affidavit that the person has not been convicted of any violent crimes or crimes involving children in lieu of the background check. Cheaper and just as effective and no personnel information worries.

These are some of the highlights of our meeting. If further changes are not made then our event this weekend may be our last.

Maybe it's neither here nor there, but years ago I thought I'd look into giving time to the local 'Big Brothers'. I called them up, got the application, then ended up opting out.

I realize it's a sign of the times, one may also question my motivation level. The other side of the equation could be an unfounded accusation, should one want to let the mind wander. Are we talking about unsavory events taking place during a <20 minute airplane flight? I guess any things possible.

Quote Originally Posted by bookmaker View Post
    Mike M - I am not sure what you are replying to. My reference to "3 different families" was only to stress the point that having possibly several parents stand by and watch you buckle their kids in is not practical. And possibly dangerous due to distraction.

As for who sits in the front, unless there was an obvious weight or size issue, I first asked the kids. If more than one wants the front I had them pick numbers from 1-10. By the way, I always asked the front passenger if he or she wanted to control the plane. Most did, but some did not.

Dale

As I wrote, Dale, "I'm not accusing you of doing that. Your statement just brought up the thought." Meant no implication that you were doing anything wrong, odd, dangerous, or anything else less than fun and professional. Sorry if it came out that way.

Interesting webinar tonight. According to the EAA under their insurance the pilots and volunteers are covered if there is a false accusation, and in fact they said they will assign a local attorney. My understanding of the insurance is the pilots are only covered for liability, so we shall see. Would like to see this in writing.
    An individual can fly YE without the two deep on a individual basis. However we two deep leadership is mandatory at rally's? Pilots only count while they are on the ground.
    Chapters are not notified who has passed the background check and online training. There is a way to get that information though.
    Youths can not be flown as part of a chapter's activity other than YE.
    EAA will only get a pass or fail on the background check, info stored with the HR dept. at EAA.
    YE forms are being revised.
    Mandatory background check will not go away and will be repeated every 3 years.

The YPP Young Eagles Summary says, "Individual pilots flying Young Eagles on their own simply need to do the training and background check, as the rest of the policy applies only to rally situations." However, the actual Policy is unclear on this point, and has no definition of "rally." The dictionary definition of rally is "a public meeting to support or oppose someone or something." If an individual pilot on his own invites youth to Young Eagles flights, how is he supposed to explain that it is not a rally? If you want to enable individual pilots to conduct Young Eagles flights on their own, the actual Policy must clearly distinguish rally and non-rally events, and must unequivocally state what requirements do not apply to non-rally events.
    Last edited by dougbush; 03-14-2016 at 08:19 PM.

I was not able to watch the webinar tonight, is it stored store so that I and others can watch it after the fact ?

They said it would available later ( a few days ) as a download.

Tom