Page 38 of 75 FirstFirst ... 28363738394048 ... LastLast

Thread: Young Eagles and Background Security Checks

Okay, finally a response from EAA: it should be in everyone's inboxes by now... let me know if you want me to copypaste it here verbatim..

Lots of Damage Control. They admitted to removing SSN requirement

Most useful part is this: http://www.eaa.org/~/media/files/eaa...V1t6UKWA%3D%3D

Read it all: it looks like it addresses most of the questions raised here, albeit not always satisfactory (IMO).

Quote Originally Posted by fidot View Post
    Okay, finally a response from EAA: it should be in everyone's inboxes by now... let me know if you want me to copypaste it here verbatim..

Lots of Damage Control. They admitted to removing SSN requirement

Most useful part is this: http://www.eaa.org/~/media/files/eaa...V1t6UKWA%3D%3D

Read it all: it looks like it addresses most of the questions raised here, albeit not always satisfactory (IMO).
    For those who did not receive the email, here it is the text of the email in its entirety.

Hi, everyone:

EAA's youth initiatives speak for themselves. For instance, the Young Eagles program this year will fly its two millionth young person since 1992. It is the largest youth aviation education program ever created and has an incredibly positive public reputation, thanks to the dedication of EAA members.

To that point, I want to pass along a few thoughts about the Youth Protection Program we formally introduced to the general EAA membership in late January. It had been previewed in a broad sense to Young Eagles pilots, chapter coordinators, and field representatives in newsletters last year and at EAA AirVenture Oshkosh 2015. It is a program similar to many now required in numerous national organizations that work with youth, including local sports leagues, church groups, and scout troops.

The introduction of this policy is not an indictment of any EAA member or chapter working with young people. However, any instance or accusation of child abuse within EAA's youth programs would be devastating for all involved. We must keep up with best practices and maintain the high standards EAA has displayed since Paul Poberezny founded the organization in 1953.

I appreciate the feedback we've received since the program's announcement. AmericanChecked, the accredited company EAA selected to assist with the Youth Protection Program, is renowned for its work and its high level of information security. It has also been flexible in working with EAA and our members. Based on your input we worked to remove the requirement that a Social Security Number be a mandatory part of a background check (it's now optional – if you provide it, it provides for higher accuracy and prevents misidentification), although in a limited number of instances additional information may be needed. EAA members have also generated other ideas to make the process better, and some of them are underway while maintaining the highest priority on information security.

To make sure the system works for our members, I personally took the training and completed the background check, as did our Young Eagles chairman, Sean D. Tucker, and EAA staff members who work with youth. We found it fast, simple, and efficient. More than 30 percent of the thousands of Young Eagles pilots and volunteers we contacted have already completed the necessary steps. Thanks to all of you who have already completed the process.

I also want to commend the work of our Young Eagles office. They handled an enormous number of calls and e-mails after the initial announcement and put in some very long days. Their leadership and patience made us proud of their work, instituting a program put in place by EAA's board and senior leadership. The Young Eagles office has also completed a briefing sheet on any effect this will have on the typical Young Eagles rally.

We will continue to keep you updated on any additional developments as they occur. This promises to be a tremendous year for EAA's youth programs, including flying the 2 millionth Young Eagle. Thank you for being a part of it.

Jack Pelton, EAA CEO/Chairman

Quote Originally Posted by S_Van View Post
    Please, don’t deny the need [for the program].
    I'll deny it. Seems like decades of experience in the program have demonstrated no need for it. I still assert this is lawyering at its worst (CYA) and the ubiquitous FEAR FEAR FEAR of American society today.

Let's have some evidence of a problem first, THEN talk about solutions.

Just read Jack's letter and I am done with EAA.

Totally fails to acknowledge any actual comprehension of or sympathy for the real and substantial issues many expressed and is still basically just saying 'our way or the highway' - well, highway it is.

Life is too short, time is too precious, money is too hard earned, and my reputation and character are too long established to put up with this - EAA did not make my aviation life, I did. It is my time, my money, my airplane, my skill, and my commitment - I am a volunteer, not an employee and I will not be treated in this way.

My commitment to EAA has survived a lot including the P-51 scandal, the nepotism, the whole EAA is Airventure development, and the recent AOPA-esque evolution - I have been in EAA since 1988, have served on Chapter BOD's, have volunteered at airshows and the YE program (ground and pilot), but this is the straw that breaks this camel's back.

Part of what has always been so great about EAA is that it represented the best of us, freedom, creativity, trust and camaraderie - the sharing of the last great adventure left to us - it represented a simpler, better and more innocent time.

This program has shattered that and shown it to be a lie, an illusion and rather than make substantive changes to address the concerns shared, EAA has instead sided with all that is wrong with our current world, and worse it has shown that far more of our fellow EAA'ers are equally willing to toss those of us who won't comply under the bus than I would have ever expected and I find that terribly disheartening. I don't think Brown Shirt is too strong a term to describe some of the cheerleading for this overreach demonstrated in this thread.

I am deeply saddened, outraged and discouraged and see no other path forward than to depart this organization that has been such a positive part of my life for almost 30 years.

When we are left with only two choices, comply or leave, voting with our feet is all we can do on principle. I will also have to leave IAC since EAA owns it as well, I simply cannot remain a part of any organization that treats its own members this way.

John Knolla
    EAA Member 1988-2016
    Chapters 88 and 14 (as member/BOD/volunteer), others when travelling/consulting
    IAC since 2012
    AOPA
    Red Star Pilots Association
    Last edited by AcroGimp; 02-02-2016 at 12:58 PM.
    Whether you think you can, or think you can't, you're right.

EAA Chapter 14, IAC Chapter 36

http://acrogimp.wordpress.com/

Fidot: I read the clarification and I saw several places where it directly contradicts the written policy. It appears that whomever wrote it either did not completely read the policy as written, or failed to understand the meaning of what was written. Here is one example and there are others:

From the memo: Chapters have no responsibility to retain any records from YE activities.

From the policy: EAA chapters and other operators of EAA-related programs and events will maintain orderly and accessible records for each Youth participant in chapter activities. The maintenance period will be not less than three (3) years. See the attached Waiver & Permission Slip Matrix. These records will include: .....

So which is it? Did anyone proof this against the written policy before it was sent out? And HQ wonders why they have a credibility problem and an angry membership?

To: Mr Pelton: How about lets scrap this policy as it's written, spend some time looking at those policies that are in place with other organizations and that work. Then design ours so that it will work for Chapter needs and the organization as a whole. This one is a mess, unworkable for many Chapters and it's rushed implementation has become a very divisive and destructive item that is rapidly destroying what has been up to now, a very successful and well run activity.

I would advise that EAA take a good look at the policies used by YMCA in their local youth sports leagues & those in place with AAU teams. They are nowhere near as onerous & they work.

Quote Originally Posted by AcroGimp View Post

I am deeply saddened, outraged and discouraged and see no other path forward than to depart this organization that has been such a positive part of my life for almost 30 years.
    So I've been mulling over this for as long as the thread runs...

I still like AirVenture: yes, it's a "tradeshow", but there's still "grassroots" there. There's a bunch of (mostly BiplaneForum, Gimp ) folks that I like to meet there that are so widespread over the country that I wouldn't see in one place otherwise..

Name:  ImageUploadedByBiplane Forum1437795559.439642.jpg
Views: 728
Size:  67.9 KB

There are a lot of new folks not involved in "politics" (I was one of them just in 2013; and Airventure had a lot of value for me then (I learned welding and met all the welding shop guys: now it's my "homebase" for airventure... I looked at a bunch of biplanes and talked to some of them... Attended some really good seminars by Lycoming guys, Budd D., and a few others, etc etc etc yada yada: just a sheer concentration of aviating folks makes it easier to connect to information / people you are seeking)..

So, I still want to go to Oshkosh...
    Buying a ticket to AirVenture basically gives you automatic EAA membership unless you already have one..

Our Chapter is still okay-ish.. Some really interesting folks I met thru being in a chapter. Some really interesting folks that came on by searching "Austin EAA Chapter". (being it's webmaster helps ).

I think there's probably still value in being an EAA member, though in a funny ways: not via an overall value you receive from the HQ; but rather being under the "umbrella of a keyword" if that makes sense....

Participating in background checks CYA BS? Thanks; but no: there, I am 100% with you.
    Last edited by fidot; 02-02-2016 at 02:04 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by CraigCantwell View Post
    ....where it directly contradicts the written policy....
    Yep. The whole rollout is messy, feels smelly, and done very unprofessionally: this contradiction just being the most recent one (technical implementation of checks.. "silent", under the rug removal of SSN requirement... no communication / input from YE coordinators and pilots...).

Yes, the only proper, mature, and correct response would be "sorry guys, we fudged up: let's look back at this and make this right" (optionally, suspend the program effective immediately until workable policies and procedures are in place if necessary to CYA). Otherwise this makes me not want to touch anything YE or EAA/youth related with a 10-foot pole.

Quote Originally Posted by fidot View Post
    So I've been mulling over this for as long as the thread runs...

I still like AirVenture: yes, it's a "tradeshow", but there's still "grassroots" there. There's a bunch of (mostly BiplaneForum, Gimp ) folks that I like to meet there that are so widespread over the country that I wouldn't see in one place otherwise..

Name:  ImageUploadedByBiplane Forum1437795559.439642.jpg
Views: 728
Size:  67.9 KB

There are a lot of new folks not involved in "politics" (I was one of them just in 2013; and Airventure had a lot of value for me then (I learned welding and met all the welding shop guys: now it's my "homebase" for airventure... I looked at a bunch of biplanes and talked to some of them... Attended some really good seminars by Lycoming guys, Budd D., and a few others, etc etc etc yada yada: just a sheer concentration of aviating folks makes it easier to connect to information / people you are seeking)..

So, I still want to go to Oshkosh...
    Buying a ticket to AirVenture basically gives you automatic EAA membership unless you already have one..

Our Chapter is still okay-ish.. Some really interesting folks I met thru being in a chapter. Some really interesting folks that came on by searching "Austin EAA Chapter". (being it's webmaster helps ).

I think there's probably still value in being an EAA member, though in a funny ways: not via an overall value you receive from the HQ; but rather being under the "umbrella of a keyword" if that makes sense....

Participating in background checks CYA BS? Thanks; but no: there, I am 100% with you.
    And there's the rub, want to go to OSH, must support the org, want to compete in IAC, must support the org, want to fly YE, must support the org.

The guys aren't the problem, the chapters aren't the problem (although IAC 36 has some serious politic BS going on but that is another story). The org is the problem and it only speaks one language, money.

Unless and until the org hears a message, in the only language it understands, and at a volume it can't ignore, it has now clearly stated it doesn't care what we mere peons think down in the hinterlands, so long as our tribute continues to flow.

Well I for one am done with complying and submitting and participating in any further erosion of my freedoms (more than enough of that going on everywhere else already) and that includes subjecting myself to this background check and training, in order to (sort of) protect the org - it does absolutely nothing for me as a volunteer.

And anyone who thinks EAA being able to point to this program is going to keep them out of a suit for any real or imagined molestation that may eventually happen, someday, somewhere, somehow, is deluding themselves.

This literally does nothing for the org, and nothing for us as volunteers - worse, it is overly burdensome and self-contradictory as has been pointed out on multiple occasions.

'Gimp
    Whether you think you can, or think you can't, you're right.

EAA Chapter 14, IAC Chapter 36

http://acrogimp.wordpress.com/

From the memo: Chapters have no responsibility to retain any records from YE activities.
    I must have missed that part. Where was that written in the memo? That's the one thing left that I don't care for.

How about lets scrap this policy as it's written, spend some time looking at those policies that are in place with other organizations and that work.
    Which programs are those? I've been a Boy Scout leader for a long time, and their program is very similar, complete with background checks for leaders and merit badge counselors. Also, if I want to chaperon any of my kids' activities at school, I'm also subject to a background check.

Just looking to see what I might be missing out there.

~Chris
    Last edited by Chris In Marshfield; 02-02-2016 at 02:21 PM.
    Christopher Owens (EAA #808438, VAA #723276)
    Germantown, WI
    Bearhawk Plans #991, Bearhawk Patrol Plans #P313