Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Pilot registration required by USA states...........

Happy Pilot registration required by USA states...........

The stuff we learn from Sport Aviation. Lauren Paine's March 2016 column. Oregon raised their pilot registration fee. Huh? States don't issue pilot certificates. What do they mean, register? So I looked it up. Wow. Oregon requires a tax to fly there. From everybody flying Pt 91, resident or non-resident:

§ 837.020 (1) In the interest of public safety and the safety of those people traveling by air or receiving aviation instruction, every pilot operating within this state shall register with the Oregon Department of Aviation ... Nonresidents operating within this state, other than in a commercial operation, shall register with the department within 60 days of the date of arrival within the state....

Tourists have to register with the state? Wow. That should improve safety. They do this for boats and motorhomes?

Sounds like an illegal restraint of interstate commerce. I suspect it's probably one of the most roundly ignored laws in the state.

It is not the dumbest law in Oregon....there you cannot legally pump your own auto fuel into your car. You have to let a hired person do it. Their rational for the law is that it creates jobs. I would bet its a real professional position. What nuts !

I think if I was in the area I would purposely divert to an Oregon airport, land and notify them that I landed without giving 60 days prior notice - just to break as many rules as possible.

Thanks for knocking Oregon without educating yourselves first. The state of Oregon has no sales tax. You come, you buy, you load up your SUV, saving hundreds, if not thousands, of bucks every year. Yet, here you are mocking our state's attempt to offset the revenue lost from our generosity of having no sales tax.

Likewise about the comments about the "dumb" fuel pumping law. Not only is the cost of gas no more or less than neighboring states, this law protects thousands of currently employed Oregonians who are now on track to earn $14.50 minimum wage in the near future.

What's the minimum wage in YOUR state? For 23 of you, it's the federal minimum wage: $7.25. And you have to pump your own gas. Who is dumb (or nuts) now?

If you're going off topic politically, please at least know what you're talking about. Good day.

Quote Originally Posted by Wilfred View Post
    It is not the dumbest law in Oregon....there you cannot legally pump your own auto fuel into your car. You have to let a hired person do it. Their rational for the law is that it creates jobs. I would bet its a real professional position. What nuts !
    In NJ the stated argument that it's not safe to allow people to operate the nozzles themselves (though it somehow is safe to have a minimum wage guy stuff it in and leave it on automatic). In fact, the major reason was to protect the small service station operator against the larger gas-n-go places. I had a close friend whose father was an independent service station operator and there was no illusion as to the reason for hte law.

Easy big guy. Read some history. Apparently Oregon started licensing pilots and planes about 1921, which suited the local homebuilders just fine...

http://www.airspacemag.com/history-o...ance-17248215/

Quote Originally Posted by Mike M View Post
    The stuff we learn from Sport Aviation. Lauren Paine's March 2016 column. Oregon raised their pilot registration fee. Huh? States don't issue pilot certificates. What do they mean, register? So I looked it up. Wow. Oregon requires a tax to fly there. From everybody flying Pt 91, resident or non-resident:

§ 837.020 (1) In the interest of public safety and the safety of those people traveling by air or receiving aviation instruction, every pilot operating within this state shall register with the Oregon Department of Aviation ... Nonresidents operating within this state, other than in a commercial operation, shall register with the department within 60 days of the date of arrival within the state....

Tourists have to register with the state? Wow. That should improve safety. They do this for boats and motorhomes?
    Dan Horton
    RV-8 Fastback
    Barrett IO-390
    Alabama

So it's obsolete as well as likely illegal. Like to see what happens if they'd try to enforce it today.

When I lived in Maine back in the last century, I had to register with the state as a pilot. I remember that it was about the same fee as the poll tax. There was some talk that the state "needed" some degree of control over pilots. They could in theory violate a pilot for something the FAA forgot to take action on. Pilots then grew more "forgetful" in renewing and finally someone asked the FAA to step in. FAA did, saying "We and we alone register airmen." It died a silent death.

As I recall, It was first implemented by the state when the CAA was in place. By the 60's, the new FAA began stretching its long arm.