Page 7 of 75 FirstFirst ... 567891757 ... LastLast

Thread: Young Eagles and Background Security Checks

Yesterday I got very sad news from your EAA Young Eagle program office at Oshkosh. Dressing up new policy as “Introducing the Youth Protection Policy”, effective immediately, all volunteers wishing to participate in the Young Eagles program will have to go through a 25 minute online training course. After that, each volunteer will also have to submit personal data to a third party vendor to undergo a background check (paid for by EAA with your dues) with results hopefully coming within 10 days. This would have to be repeated every 3 years. There will also be a 10 page set of rules for volunteers to follow and for coordinators to enforce during any event.

With utter disappointment, I called both the numbers listed on my letter as mangers of the program. This change was not brought about by any event but by direct orders from “corporate”. They said “best practices” were to develop this program since other youth activities had similar programs. I think the saddest part was the manager calling a non-profit meant to promote aviation “corporate”, maybe his lack of courage to stand up against this useless program, or maybe the fact this program would not address first time offenders which would be 99.999% of the cases.

Tonight I met with our chapter president and we reviewed the materials presented. We talked about options and weighed possible outcomes. If we decided to take on the additional scrutiny, finding pilots and volunteers would become more difficult. There is even more critical rules for 2 seat airplanes, such as a cub, that result in more guidelines. We would not have a problem finding qualified individuals, but we would find a lack of interest in volunteers who give up so much already, bothering with additional scrutiny and invasion of privacy. This program would not find any first time offenders, which is probably 99.99% of them.

It is with great sadness that I must report that our chapter has suspended our Young Eagles program for the foreseeable future. Due to increased requirements and burdens placed on EAA1560 by EAA “corporate”, we have been forced to to take this action. For many of us, this program is the only reason we are members. I personally spent hundreds of hours last year dedicated to Young Eagles. This breaks my heart that we will not be able to share aviation with our local youth anymore.

If you would wish to contact (and I encourage you to do so) those responsible for the Young Eagles program they are:

Dick Knapinski
    Director of Communications
    (920) 426-6523
    dknapinski@eaa.org

Brian O'Lena
    Manager, EAA Young Eagles
    (920) 426-6297
    bolena@eaa.org

Michelle Kunes
    Program Coordinator, Young Ealges
    (902) 426-6114
    mkunes@eaa.org

Quote Originally Posted by cub builder View Post
    Actually, I would like to see every member bail on Young Eagles. Not because I want to see the Young Eagles program die. But instead, to save it from this sort of bureaucratic nonsense.
    This

Quote Originally Posted by CarlOrton View Post
    But another aspect we haven't addressed is of the Chapter officers & board members themselves. We're protected by the EAA insurance, but if something happened and it was determined that the individual and/or chapter governance were not trained, whoooboy.
    And This

are why I'm taking a stand.

From 'the manual'...
    Flight Programs. Due to the nature of some of EAA-related programs (e.g., two-seatYoung Eagles aircraft rides), there are times when it will be impossible for two (2) adultsto be present in an activity involving a Youth. In such cases, the staff member orvolunteer should take particular care to ensure that the Youth and their parents areaware of the circumstances.

So, am i to interpret, that if you have a more than a two place airplane you 'must' take an 'supervisory' adult with you while flying the young eagle?

More From 'the manual'...

EAA chapters and other operators of EAA-related programs and events will maintain orderlyand accessible records for each Youth participant in chapter activities. The maintenance periodwill be not less than three (3) years. See the attached Waiver & Permission Slip Matrix. Theserecords will include:

1. Parent contact information and other emergency contact information.
    2. Acknowledgement of receipt of policies on discipline, prohibited activities, and sign-
      in/sign-out procedures.
    3. Activity-specific permission slips, dated and signed.
    4. Attendance record of the dates on which the Youth participated in EAA-related
      programs and events.
    5. Conduct and behavior issues and resolutions.
    6. Incident reports.

This is an increasing administrative burden, with record keeping requirements approaching the IRS requirements. Young Eagle registration form. Parent Waiver. Details record data base, inclusive of 'conduct and behavior issues'... each chapter will need a Corporate HR department to 'manage' the events.

This is the extended burden that, beyond the concerns of the background checks, will put a significant strain on performing young eagle events, especially for smaller chapters.

Lastly... what then are the requirements for a one-on-one Young Eagle ride, i.e. non-rally Young Eagle rides?

Bryan

The silence from HQ on this thread has been deafening, and I'm certain they are watching this discussion. I for one would like to hear their side of this. Clearly this didn't happen without some high level consideration of the cost-benefit analysis. I have a pretty good idea where this came from within HQ, and I would like to hear from them. This has a chance of causing real damage not just to the YE program but to all of EAA. I think you owe us an explanation beyond just PR speak about best practices and risk management.
    Jeff Point
    RV-6 and RLU-1 built & flying
    Tech Counselor, Flight Advisor & President, EAA Chapter 18
    Milwaukee, WI
    "It All Started Here!"

Quote Originally Posted by Mark van Wyk View Post
    FOLKS, LET'S STOP OVER REACTING. None of this is that unusual or unheard of. Yes, we used to live in more innocent times, when pilots flew around in open cockpits with leather caps, goggles, and scarfs flying in the wind.
    I still fly around in an open cockpit with leather gap, goggles, and scarf...

Times have changed. Here are some other recent examples of organizations that require checks of adults in contact with kids.
    Scout leaders spend a lot more time with the kids, take them on camping trips, etc... a lot more potential for (and history of!) creepy behavior than a 15 minute flight in broad daylight with the parents watching them when they get on and off the plane.

Quote Originally Posted by fidot View Post
    ...I see this as a much bigger issue of intrusion, presumption of guiltiness, and basically all the rest that's wrong with the social climate nowadays...
    Exactly.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Point View Post
    I have a pretty good idea where this came from within HQ...
    Is it possible to form a group of folks interested in taking this on with wherever this came from, and having a meeting with them? I'd be more than happy to help.

If the goal of all of this was to limit liability and I am sure it is, then EAA would have been far better off to buy insurance !!!. This is going to cost a heavy price if they persist with it.

Just who on earth determines what is "best practices?" There must be some money in it for someone.

Quote Originally Posted by lyleapgmc View Post
    Just who on earth determines what is "best practices?" There must be some money in it for someone.
    The legal department in consultation with the HR department.

FOLKS, LET'S STOP OVER REACTING. None of this is that unusual or unheard of.
    Your SSN is probably the most important piece of your paper identity, and there is absolutely no reason to provide it for a criminal check. It's just easy for America Check to do their job using it vs just name and address. So if they're lazy on that aspect of their business, where else are they cutting corners?

My company manages information that my State deems sensitive. All my employees, vendors, landlord and even cleaning staff must sign a Secrecy Agreement from the State. So when a company starts asking for completely unnecessary information to perform their service, it makes me question their reasoning.