Page 1 of 75 1231151 ... LastLast

Thread: Young Eagles and Background Security Checks

Young Eagles and Background Security Checks

I assume all Chapter leaders got the memo, and members will be informed shortly. Apparently we are all required to take an online education course and pass a criminal background check before volunteering at a future Young Eagles event.

The online course is no big deal, basic EAA policy guidance about adult supervision, supervision of adults, and similar. I've already taken it.

However, I stopped at the online application for a criminal background check. In the Age of Hacking, we're all taught that we should never submit our name, DOB, and SSN online. Even if legit, most companies have a miserable record at protecting data. So who the heck is this hired background security check company, and why should I trust them with personal data fundamental to identity theft?
    Dan Horton
    RV-8 Fastback
    Barrett IO-390
    Alabama

I just looked at the site. That is troubling. Not the youth protection stuff. That is the same as the Boy Scouts program, the CAP, and even US Army Drill Sergeants 2 deep leadership with basic trainees.

Like Dan, I am concerned about the background checks. Who made the decision that these checks were required? Who is handling the data? What assurances exist that the information will not be used or stored in an unauthorized manner? What are they looking for in those background checks? I have had enough problems with my personal information being hacked from government sources -- what is this organization handling this and what makes then qualified and trusted? The BSA requires a national background check but they are very open about you does it -- and you don't submit your data online, but in hard copy. (Heck, PII is not supposed to go out online. Any other organization I have dealt with handless that by fax, which is supposed to be more secure.)

I cannot find anything where the TSA or FAA requires this. Why is the EAA now imposing police state tactics?

Back to basics EAA. DEFINE THE PROBLEM: What is the desired end state? What is keeping us from getting there? Is there a significant risk that must be treated? What options to treat that risk were explored? Regarding this "solution" did anyone do a risk analysis of not doing a background check vs the risk of exposing member's personal information (yes, and the legal exposure that would result from that)?

It is not a background check per se that bothers me. I have to do enough of them already, it is everything around it that bothers me. Maybe they just don't want independent curmudgeons like me to be a Young Eagle pilot anymore.
    Chris Mayer
    N424AF
    www.o2cricket.com

I am sure insurance has something to do with it. I am curious why however. Have there been some issues, or are we seeing just another response to paranoia over being sued by anybody and everybody. Sad this even has to be considered.

I did fill out the forms however. I am also concerned about data miners, but my information is spread around so far as it is, I can't see where a legit background check adds much risk.

Dale
    Dale Cavin
    Florida Panhandle
    Current Project: Airdrome Aeroplanes Full Size Nieuport 17

I truly believe that, justified or not, these requirements will have a chilling effect on YE flying. Many of the pilots I know that fly them now will not even do the training much less the background check putting a greater burden on those of us who do it. But I can't say I can blame those who don't.

Tom
    N94856

All of the pilots who fly YE in our chapter have decided NOT to participate after May 1. In addition all of the volunteers we have spoken with will not participate. Read the entire program. It unjustly puts a burden on the volunteers and pilots of the YE program. Our concerns are our right to privacy as it pertains to Social Security numbers, the acquisition of data, storage of such data by the EAA, and safeguards as to the security of the data. In addition the program "rules" are ridiculous. Read about buckling in a YE, flying in a two seat aircraft, the requirements of the volunteers, photography and it's use, etc. I can go on and on.
    Our chapter flies about 200 youngsters and works with students in 4 counties. All this will cease. I wish the program luck.

I have severe concerns about the privacy of information submitted in the background checks. I've been through the identity theft thing already. Whose background checking the people doing the background check? Given the way most of the YE rallies appear to work around here, I think it may be over for me for YE as well.

I already told the BSA to take a hike because they wanted copies of all sorts of documents they had no business having.

“You have zero privacy anyway. Get over it.”
    --Scott McNealy

I took the test and then submitted the background check. I've submitted to many background checks over the years mostly required by employers. I hope to fly YE again in 2016.

Having just read through the policies, I find this ridiculous.

Can't take pictures of the kids without parental permission? Are we now supposed to police YE events and tell everyone with a cellphone camera to put them away?

In-bloody-sane.

I've done a number of background checks on prospective employees, never needed their SSN to get the information required.

Quote Originally Posted by bookmaker View Post
    I am sure insurance has something to do with it. I am curious why however. Have there been some issues, or are we seeing just another response to paranoia over being sued by anybody and everybody. Sad this even has to be considered.
    I think it may have more to do with state and federal laws pertaining to child protection and welfare and potential for litigation against the EAA. Quite frankly, if there is someone on the SOR that is providing airplane rides to kids, then: "Houston we have a problem."

It's just not going to go well when a prosecutor ask what kind of precautions were in place to prevent ____________ from happening and the answer is "none." Under the current climate, I think the EAA is being smart by taking a proactive vs. reactive role. I also think while it seems onerous on the surface, the action provides a layer of protection to YE pilots.

I can give you plenty of "sad" examples where a school, community, (even the BSA), (and now EAA) are tasked with child protection and welfare anytime kids are under their care and supervision.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark van Wyk View Post
    “You have zero privacy anyway. Get over it.”
    --Scott McNealy

I took the test and then submitted the background check. I've submitted to many background checks over the years mostly required by employers. I hope to fly YE again in 2016.
    I've submitted clearance applications to the government ever since I was 20, but that's not the same as sending it to some unidentified site connected with the EAA. The EAA ain't getting my SSN or driver's license number. Sorry, ain't going to happen. Been screwed by that before.

I did the course, but holy crap, the background check lands you at some anonymously registered site that's unverifiable. What the hell is this? Can't the EAA even use a legitimate company? How can I even verify it's going to AmericanChecked when I'm redirected to some clandestine site? And who the hell is AmericanChecked anyhow, they seem primarily to be involved in tribal gambling.

By the way the EAA training and background check site seems to be busted. I've got both stuck in PENDING now and can't do squat.
    Last edited by FlyingRon; 01-20-2016 at 04:46 PM.