Thread: Oshkosh Scenery for FSX or Prepar3D?

Oshkosh Scenery for FSX or Prepar3D?

There were some previous links to Oshkosh scenery for Microsoft Flight Simulator X but the links no longer work. Where can those be found these days? Anything for Lockheed Martins's P3D? I would like to practice the arrivals.

EAA Staff / Moderator Hal Bryan's Avatar
    You don't need any add-ons to practice the arrivals - the airport and surrounding scenery is all there, even customized (modestly) with some AirVenture-specific details. That said, the folks at FS-MP did a pretty detailed add-on for the area (that even includes a tiny 3D me on a golf cart, if you know where to look!) a few years ago that's always been popular. I loved it, but was always a little frustrated by their inclusion of huge grandstands which don't exist in real life.

It looks like they're referring people to this package at simviation now: http://simviation.com/1/search?submi...s=KOSH&x=0&y=0

This should install just fine in FSX, ESP, FSX:Steam and P3D.

Hal Bryan
    EAA Lifetime 638979
    Vintage 714005 | Warbirds 553527
    Managing Editor
    EAA—The Spirit of Aviation

I've flown the Fisk arrival as well as the Turbine/Warbird arrival on FSX and if I remember right the stock scenery has warbird island. I now run Orbx FTX Global and also Orbx FTX Vector and I believe that warbird island is there as well. The only thing really missing is the variety and magnitude in traffic!

IMHO, there is no way to adequately practice the arrivals on any sim. There are some things you can do in an airplane, which will benefit you, which include practicing 90 knots slow cruise (assuming you're driving something capable of 90 knots), maintaining exact altitudes, and precision landing from a close-in right hand pattern (roughly half the VFR arrivals will be from a right hand pattern to 27, the other half a left hand pattern from a base entry to 36R or 36L). You also need to be able to follow a railroad track from about 1000' AGL, while keeping an appropriate distance from other airplanes, and not talking on the radio. All that while your adrenalin is likely higher than just before your first kiss. How you would replicate any of that on a sim is beyond me.

Cary
    "I have slipped the surly bonds of earth...,
    put out my hand and touched the face of God." J.G. Magee

Given you cannot replicate the adrenaline that is flowing but I can follow all of the checkpoints at the assigned altitudes and speeds in regards to the NOTAM. So, no, you cannot replicate the rush but as far as the NOTAM is concerned you can follow that exactly.