Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Crete2Cape Vintage Air Rally Africa

Goggles Crete2Cape Vintage Air Rally Africa

The Crete2Cape Vintage Air Rally is looking for North American teams:

1. Are you on for the adventure of a lifetime, flying the length of Africa, all costs paid?
    2. Do you want to be on a globally distributed TV show?
    3. Do you have access to a biplane?

http://crete2cape.com/

If the answer to all three question is ‘yes’ you satisfy the initial entry requirements!
    Please send a photo of yourself, your plane, and a single paragraph about yourself to Lino at: info@crete2cape.com

For $60K, I can fly my antique across the States, following the old airmail routes (some of the concrete arrows of the way stations still exist), experience just as many different cultures, make just as many friends, and not need a passport, a 40' container, nor subject the old gal to the perils of disassembly and reassembly, and still have $50K left over. Both sound like equally fun trips, but I prefer to sleep out under the wing than lounge about in some 5-star spa...that's what flying cross country in an antique is all about!

Rolls Eyes

You don't really believe that you'll experience 'just as many different cultures' flying within the US than flying the length of Africa do you?!

Unfortunately the special offer has now expired, but there are still a couple of vintage places, and one helicopter slot remaining...

We now have teams from all six continents, and a broadcaster - so watch out for the rally on your TV when aired in 2017.

Safe flights!

No, you're correct: I'll experience many more! The folks in Maine are different from those in Maryland, who are different from those in West Virginia, who are different from those in Georgia, who are different from those in Alabama, who are different from those in Texas, who are different from those in Kansas, who are different from those in Wyoming, who are different from those in Minnesota, who are different from those in Illinois, who are different from those in Ohio, who are different from those in Nevada, who are different from those in Oregon, who are different from those in Arizona, and those in Southern California are just different!

If I want to be on TV, I'll just bring a puppy along with me and claim he's the youngest dog to ever fly an airplane across the US (I'll go along to only talk on the radio and pump and pay for the gas). Those bubble-headed, bleached blond TV reporters eat that stuff up!

Soft landings!

And they all speak the same language, use the same money, follow the same rules and regulations, have the same President etc.etc.... (I could go on...)

Yeah, MUCH more variety than crossing ten separate and independent African countries...

I'm guessing you've never been to Africa. You should try it, you'll be in for a very positive surprise!

Crete2Cape Vintage Air Rally Africa

The Crete2Cape Vintage Air Rally is looking for a pilot/TV presenter:

1. Are you on for the adventure of a lifetime, flying the length of Africa, paid?
    2. Do you want to be on/present a globally distributed TV show?

http://crete2cape.com/

If the answer to both question is ‘yes’ then please send a photo of yourself and a single paragraph personal summay to Lino at: info@crete2cape.com

No offense, but I have traveled in Africa, although just four countries. Let me know when you do South America and I'll do it in a heartbeat.

"All costs paid"?
    Except for the $60K "Participation" fee as noted above, and then all gas costs, and transportation costs, etc. What's that, another $20-30,000? A little misleading, isn't it?

[/URL]
    Last edited by Andrew King; 03-27-2016 at 10:44 PM.

Actually, when I worked for a USAID contractor, I traveled extensively in Africa. I found it lovely and sometimes scary. Yes, they do have about 100,000 different dialects of about 10,000 languages, but if you want cultural diversity, sit a Mainer next to someone from Alabama and see how well they communicate! Then compare their diets, their customs, and their lifestyles. This would be in lieu of sitting a Senegalese beside a Basotho, of course. Yeah, so you won't have all those cool stamps in your passport, but you won't have dengue fever or liver flukes, either...I sure miss riding in those white Toyota Landcruisers, though.

Hi Andrew,

The "All costs paid" offer was exactly that (we have a sponsor who had a very specific requirement and was prepared to pay for it to be achieved). The offer has now expired, but we were offering all costs paid (participation, fuel, shipping, flights - everything).

All costs paid - exactly what it said. Interestingly, one of those rare things that sounds 'too good to be true' but wasn't - it was true!

We're now closed for entries for the Crete2Cape (and oversubscribed), but please keep an eye on www.VintageAirRally.com (or follow our Twitter @VintageAirRally) for news about future rallies, including some in the US... You'll also get the news of the Crete2Cape of course, which you might find of interest.

Safe flights, Sam.