Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: 2016 Performers List

That is true, it seems to me (may not be true) that there is less of the showcase fly bys of experimental and vintage. Frankly, I'd rather see a few more of these.

Our antique boat show has an interesting thing. You attend what is the equivalent of the OSH flyby briefing, get in line and cruise by the crowd. You've already submitted a card with info on your boat to the announcer (we hold up numbers as we approach but airplanes already have these nice numbers on them for identification).
    Last edited by FlyingRon; 03-08-2016 at 07:33 AM.

I appreciate the input from everyone! I'll bubble up these suggestions.

Thanks!
    Glory

Every year we see so many wonderful and rare planes and I always hope to see the plane in the afternoon flybys. 7 out of 10 times it never happens. Or if it does, it's 1-2 passes. I really think a lot of people would enjoy this. Extended fly-bys. Good example of this type of thing was the STOL flying demos. Not a lot of people left. I know I enjoyed that as much as any other part of the airshow. Don't get me wrong, I like the aerobatics too. But after awhile, even I've had enough. But, I'm still sitting there every afternoon soaking it all up. And I look forward to this year as much as ever.

I don't know if I've ever missed from the first one where we could park along the road now in front of the front gate to Oshkosh and you had to have a pilot license to get in and no drinks etc. on the grounds. Guess that makes me an old timer (I am). I'm sure I'll keep coming as long as my legs hold up and hopefully can fly in on occasion (I'm weather chicken). While I can appreciate the skill of aerobatics it does get old after a couple of hours of samo--samo. In fact, I usually find something else to do, maybe take a shower as someone else has mentioned or take a nap in my tent or take a stick and beat people leaning on my plane. I do like talking to those who might be interested though. Also, I have been known to slip on over to Friar Tucks for something cold and refreshing rather than watch the air show. Actually the best part is watching the big iron take off with lots of noise, flybys of antique aircraft and checking out interesting homebuilts which I cant afford and visiting with fellow pilots is the best part.
    If God had intended man to fly He would have given us more money!

You've always been able to get on the grounds by paying admission. What you didn't get to do unless you were a pilot, EAA Member, or member of some other flying group like AOPA get access to was the flight line. This was essentially the entire homebuilt and warbird parking area and then every south of the red barn. It got to be a pretty silly distinction, I'm not unhappy the EAA did away with it.

Quote Originally Posted by L16 Pilot View Post
    I don't know if I've ever missed from the first one where we could park along the road now in front of the front gate to Oshkosh and you had to have a pilot license to get in and no drinks etc. on the grounds. Guess that makes me an old timer (I am). I'm sure I'll keep coming as long as my legs hold up and hopefully can fly in on occasion (I'm weather chicken). While I can appreciate the skill of aerobatics it does get old after a couple of hours of samo--samo. In fact, I usually find something else to do, maybe take a shower as someone else has mentioned or take a nap in my tent or take a stick and beat people leaning on my plane. I do like talking to those who might be interested though. Also, I have been known to slip on over to Friar Tucks for something cold and refreshing rather than watch the air show. Actually the best part is watching the big iron take off with lots of noise, flybys of antique aircraft and checking out interesting homebuilts which I cant afford and visiting with fellow pilots is the best part.
    Perfect! Thanks, L16 Pilot, your post was the beginning of Can't-Wait-Til-Oshkosh season for me.
    Mike E

I stand corrected on 'getting into the airshow'. I should have said flight line as Ron mentioned. That being said, Oshkosh is now kind of a free for all or a flea market with airplanes. On the other hand what can be better than waking up in the morning and watching the heavy iron take off for practice or sitting in the evening and watching airplanes take off and land. As long as I'm typing away: I dislike the announcers blabbering away often about nothing, golf carts and 4 wheelers running up and down the road, taking a shower with a bunch of strangers (I had plenty of that in my air force days) but hey! as mentioned before I'll keep going as long as my legs hold out.
    If God had intended man to fly He would have given us more money!

Yep, one thing I noticed when attending a party in the North 40 that I've forgotten about since I've been camping in Vintage for the past decade plus, is that there's no PA there. It was neat watching the night airshow without the inane commentary.

While there are still a lot of vehicles on the grounds, the EAA has greatly improved the situation over the past. Oddly, I've found most people pretty courteous. I've been offered rides on a number of occasions. Had an interesting talk with Hal Sheevers from Sportys while he drove me back from the Hilton one day.

Byron J. Covey
    Quote Originally Posted by L16 Pilot View Post
    .... In fact, I usually find something else to do, maybe take a shower as someone else has mentioned ......
    Just be certain that, if there are any youth in the shower, you have submitted to the requisite background check and training .....

BJC

My vote is for more unusual or unique aircraft on fly by or real aerobatics not the wham bam thank you mam stuff. I get so tire of the flip flop, one is ok but 4 or more everyday gets to be a drag! We make it a point to park down south beyond row 90 just to get away from the speakers!
    No matter how far you push the envelope; its still stationary!