Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Concealed Weapon Carry and Aviation

Canadian laws are quite different than the US. The Canadian equivalent of the US Constitution does not state a right to be armed. In the US, SCOTUS, through the Heller and McDonald decisions, has affirmed that the 2nd Amendment, in the Bill of Rights, states that there is an individual right to own and carry arms. What is still being litigated is the ability of the states to limit the manner and location of carry.

Many states allow carry, open and/or concealed right up to the security checkpoint at air carrier airports. And of course you can check your unloaded firearm at the airport counter in an appropriate locked container (TSA locks are a no-no per federal law) as you check in to fly out on your hunting trip.

It is indeed important to read the laws for your particular state. Carry that is perfectly legal in NH will get you arrested in NJ.

To address the question in post #1, in general, if it is legal to carry in your local Walmart or Starbucks, it is legal to carry at your airport outside of the secure areas. Most states have pre-emption where the state says that only they have the authority to create laws regarding firearms. This generally means that an airport management is not empowered to declare firearms off limits. They have to follow the applicable laws. In my geography some local PD's have tried to discourage the open carry of handguns and the result has been them paying out lawyers fees and damages, and being direction to retrain their officers. If an airport here were to try the same approach, they would also be quickly "corrected".

But the most important aspect of carrying a firearm is knowing the laws if the state and locality that you are in. What people "think" is often wrong. Read the statutes. Just like carrying passengers in your ship, carrying a firearm comes with some responsibility.

But then, the original poster knows some of this or the question would not have been posted. Idiots carry on without asking. Smart people ask and read up on the facts.

Oh, if you look at a sectional chart that covers Canada, you will see a line from east to west, north of the large population areas. If you look at the chart legend, it explains that line. If you fly north of that line you are required to carry survival equipment, which must include a long gun of at least a specified caliber (I think .30).

Best of luck,

Wes
    N78PS
    Last edited by WLIU; 01-15-2016 at 06:06 PM.

No changes

Quote Originally Posted by Floatsflyer View Post
    Whoa there Freddy boy! You're making a lot of assumptions and conclusions that reflect your negative state of arrogance, attitude, ignorance and knowledge.

Actually, I have read and know quite a few parts of the U.S. Constitution. I never needed to, I was a poli sci major, I like to absorb knowledge and I'm Canadian. Is the 2nd Amendment all you know or care about?

I'll bet the value of your truck that you know nothing of my constitution-I'm Canadian.

I'll bet the value of your gun rack, boots, buckle and hat that you could not guess what political party I support--I'm Canadian.

For your edification, you DO NOT have the right to carry concealed. You DO have the right TO APPLY for a permit for such carry. There is no guarantee that one will be approved. Perhaps you may possess the cranial capacity to distinguish the difference. Perhaps not.

And yes, I do watch the news-- yours, mine and the world. Canadians are not xenophobic(you can look it up). Yours is particularly sad and distressing.
    Just substitute Floatsflyer for Freddie in your 1st sentence and it will make more sense. As far as your 2nd sentence; I have studied the U.S. Constitution since the 7th grade and I'm now 72 years old and still studying. Actually, in the last 30 days, I have read Ben Carson's book talking about his take on the U.S. Constitution, the history of our founders while they formulated and argued over the U.S. Constitution, took yet another college course on the U.S. Constitution and donated another few hundred dollars to Hillsdale College which has just reached its goal of teaching 1 million new students the U.S. Constitution. Go back another 30 days and I have studied 2 books and taken one course on the case law of the Supreme Court as they attempt to interpret the U.S. Constitution. As far as your political science major; I don't consider the U.S. Constitution be political in any respect. It is the guarantor of our natural rights. 3rd sentence; no bet; I know nothing of the Canadian Constitution. I lost interest when you lost your right to own a gun. 4th sentence; I don't own a gun rack nor boots; I do occasionally wear a hat. 5th sentence; I do have a right to carry concealed because the license in my pockets says I do. Also, New Mexico law says that one will be approved, lacking a criminal history or a pronouncement by a court that I'm insane. Sometimes my wife thinks I'm insane but so far she can't find a judge to go along with it. And lastly, I was able to use xenophobic in a sentence by the 8th grade. I am truly amazed that one Canadian can be so wrong. At 1st I thought this discussion was off subject, but the basic question and the subsequent excellent responses are exactly on point. The basic question of course deals with our legal rights as pertains to where we can or cannot carry a firearm and anyone who has a wrong take should be corrected. As some innocent folks have discovered, there are traps out there that can ruin your life. And by the way, I harbor no animosity toward Canadians in general; but it is in the general makeup of red-blooded Americans to debate anyone in the light of helping them maintain a correct understanding.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Mayhemxpc View Post

For Floats -- didn't there used to be a Canadian law that when overflying certain remote areas that there MUST be a survival firearm on board? (I might be confused with Alaska.)
    Both you and Wes bring up this issue. Maybe at some time in the distant past this may have been the case but at least since 1996, there is no mandatory requirement for having a firearm on board when overflying sparse areas of the country.

Wes also mentions a line across the country which would have been far, far up north(I never knew of it, never flew so far north) which no longer exists having been replaced by a new set of regs concerning the carrying of survival equipment, when, where and what including some exclusions.

This Canadian survival gear tutorial was written at the time by the then CEO of COPA-Canadian Owners and Pilots Association. It must be similar to US requirements.

https://www.copanational.org/files/kp09104.doc

Quote Originally Posted by Floatsflyer View Post
    All true Ron, no argument as far as the multitude of interpretations at Supreme and state level courts. But Freddie boy wrongly claims he has the "right" to carry concealed and I said he clearly does not because he must submit an application which can be denied. For Freddie boy's circumstances here's the applicable rules, regs, qualifications and requirements for New Mexico:

http://www.usacarry.com/new_mexico_c...formation.html
    You are wrong - Check AZ for example. No permit needed to carry at all. And several States are also like that.
    Also you should know the difference between shall issue and may issue States. We have several shall issue States. So you can only be denied if you are a prohibited person.

I'll stop here, but maybe you should not make claims that you are not sure of, and while you may have a degree in Poly-Sci, you have shown that you do not have correct information on US laws.
    1996 Quad City Challenger CWS w/503 - Sold
    1974 7ECA Citabria - Sold
    1986 Pitts S1S