Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Concealed Weapon Carry and Aviation

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Concealed Weapon Carry and Aviation

I've been away from flying for several years. I have always maintained my EAA & AOPA memberships, and my interest though.

I'm rekindling my airport bum self, and I recently joined a local airport pilot's association. They meet in a hanger inside the fence.

This set me to thinking. I'm a CCW permit holder in Florida, although i never carry. i do keep a weapon in my vehicle though and will be driving through the secure gate. This particular airport has very limited airline traffic, mostly GA. And there is a contract control tower on field.
    I can also imagine wanting to bring it along sometimes if I get active in flying again that would be taking me to other airports too.
    BUT
    with all the new rules, TSA and otherwise
    and the big fences surrounding the airports that didn't used to be there when i was flying...I'm a little confused about the secure or sterile areas on an airport and how all this fits.... GA and weapons and airports.

I've done some research but there's some grey areas it seems. I figured I can't be the only CCW pilot, so I figured I turn here and ask what you do.

Banned
    With respect to your self-admitted long time non-flying circumstances, I'm puzzled by your current peculiar and unique concern.

Jerry Seinfeld, in one of his stand-up routines, said, "now they show you how detergents take out bloodstains. I think if you've got a shirt with a big bloodstain all over it, maybe laundry isn't your biggest problem."

Likewise, if you haven't flown for years and are seriously interested in flying again and becoming current, maybe asking if you can carry a concealed weapon in an airplane isn't your biggest problem.

thanks for taking the time to respond....
    BUT
    it IS the most immediate.... if I strive to be honest and law abiding that is....
    At this point I'm only intending to be an airport bum again. I don't have nearly the time to do that as I used to, but thought I might be able to grab a few minutes here and there....join the club, get to know some folks...
    & besides, to get back into the airplane, I'll eventually be going to the airport. Driving through the gate.

thinking ahead, and knowing that others are certainly in the same situation it's a valid question.

Quote Originally Posted by blw2 View Post
    ...I might be able to grab a few minutes here and there....join the club, get to know some folks...
    & besides, to get back into the airplane, I'll eventually be going to the airport. Driving through the gate...
    The kind of airports where you would want to "join the club, get to know some folks" don't have a "secure gate". And, though I really don't know (not having flown into a towered field in 30+ years), I don't think the TSA is watching the GA entrance, they're too busy groping the passengers in the airline terminals.

I would think the easiest thing would be to check the local airport rules. I believe KOSH does not allow firearms on airport property, much like the other county run areas. A quick call to the airport manager should answer your question.

At our rural, uncontrolled airport, a bunch of us like to fly down to a roadless dry lake and shoot periodically. We don't advertise the activities but have been doing these flights for many years. Guns, ammo and targets are loaded in planes, flown and taken home after the flights. We don't stop at controlled airports and keep everything low key. Have not had any problems doing this.

Quote Originally Posted by Floatsflyer View Post
    With respect to your self-admitted long time non-flying circumstances, I'm puzzled by your current peculiar and unique concern.

Jerry Seinfeld, in one of his stand-up routines, said, "now they show you how detergents take out bloodstains. I think if you've got a shirt with a big bloodstain all over it, maybe laundry isn't your biggest problem."

Likewise, if you haven't flown for years and are seriously interested in flying again and becoming current, maybe asking if you can carry a concealed weapon in an airplane isn't your biggest problem.

Instead of being funny and conceited be quite or be helpful.

I used to fly for a 135 outfit that had an Alaskan division. There was never anything in the ops manual against carrying. However, State law used to mandate a fire arm on board. Back in the lower 48, we had some discussions (with ex Alaskans) over our evening milk and cookies about favorites carried. Some pilots even carried on the job in the lower 48. One I know had huge hand gun in his flight bag that would have awed Dirty Harry. Never saw anyone root through a pilot's flight bag in over a quarter century. The current crop of pilots has a large percentage of CCWs and much of their emails these days deal with good ammo deals, etc.

Bob

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Dingley View Post
    I used to fly for a 135 outfit that had an Alaskan division.....Bob
    Four of the Pt135 non-sked operators I flew for over the years authorized the PIC and other crewmembers to carry firearms, as per Pt135.119b. Common sense. Many of the places we worked, we were the only armed security for miles around.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike M View Post
    Four of the Pt135 non-sked operators I flew for over the years authorized the PIC and other crewmembers to carry firearms, as per Pt135.119b. Common sense. Many of the places we worked, we were the only armed security for miles around.
    Your enthusiasm for "common sense" rationalizing makes me very curious about 3 things that I hope you'll answer:

Why would a fully qualified pilot hired to fly airplanes so willingly accept the added and far lesser(and more dangerous) role of armed security guard?

Were you provided with proper and formal training to carry out the armed security role?

As a non-military commercial pilot flying presumably for a private company(unless it was Air America), what places were you flying to that required the need for armed security?