Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Student Pilot

Student Pilot

Hey, I was wondering if the aeronca chief 65 hp is a good plane to actually learn to fly. From other posts it is a good plane, but I just want to know if someone has learned in one or if its a good/bad idea.

Quote Originally Posted by AJ60 View Post
    Hey, I was wondering if the aeronca chief 65 hp is a good plane to actually learn to fly. From other posts it is a good plane, but I just want to know if someone has learned in one or if its a good/bad idea.
    It should be fine if you only want a sport pilot certificate.

I learned in a Chief. I still bless the fact that I started in a tailwheel from a grass strip. It's helped in so many ways over the years. So I think you have a good choice there. Referring to Marty's comment above, I had to transition into another aircraft (Musketeer in my case) to get the required radio work and hood time, since the Chief had no electric, but starting in the Chief won't restrict you to Sport Pilot and will help in other ways down the road.

I would suggest that if you're at a high altitude airport (4,000-5,000 feet or more) you might prefer an 85 hp aircraft, but nearer sea level it should be fine.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by lnuss; 01-04-2016 at 04:23 PM.

Larry N.

AJ!

Go for it, man! Do all your dual and solo pattern work, airmanship, and cross country stuff in it. Then, when you're ready for your Private checkride, get checked out in a C-150 or C-172 and learn how to navigate with the VOR and also squawking the transponder in Class B airspace. You'll need a handheld radio and a headset for your flying in the Chief, so you'll have the radio work done already. Plus, with a handheld, you can listen to it at home and get aclimated to how pilots communicate on the radio. Don't forget to have fun...

Thanks everyone.
    it would be around 1,000-2,000 feet above sea level. And would be from a private grass strip in MN. As far as performance does it operate well when It is almost fully loaded? Doesn't seem like much extra weight left with 2 200lbs guys and a full fuel tank?

Mount a set of Federal A1500's and a tail ski and take full advantage of the cold air with that kind of a load in a Chief. With your snowmobile suits on, it will be pretty cozy in there with the two of you.

Thanks everyone.
    it would be around 1,000-2,000 feet above sea level. And would be from a private grass strip in MN. As far as performance does it operate well when It is almost fully loaded? Doesn't seem like much extra weight left with 2 200lbs guys and a full fuel tank?
    It should be fine under those conditions. Don't get me wrong, you'll not get 1,000 fpm climb, and it won't break any speed records, fly OK there and it'll teach you a lot.

Larry N.

Quote Originally Posted by crusty old aviator View Post
    AJ!

Go for it, man! Do all your dual and solo pattern work, airmanship, and cross country stuff in it. Then, when you're ready for your Private checkride, get checked out in a C-150 or C-172 and learn how to navigate with the VOR and also squawking the transponder in Class B airspace. You'll need a handheld radio and a headset for your flying in the Chief, so you'll have the radio work done already. Plus, with a handheld, you can listen to it at home and get aclimated to how pilots communicate on the radio. Don't forget to have fun...
    Crusty nailed it. I got my license in a C-150 some 40 years ago. Shortly after that I was introduced to a Champ where I learned to pilot a plane. I later bought a Champ. My cousin did his license exactly as described by Crusty. Did all his pattern work, cross countries, etc in my Champ, then checked out in a C-172 to do the required night and radio nav work. I recall checking out his instructor in my Champ so he could ride with his student to endorse him to solo in the Champ. (No tailwheel endorsements required back then). I did a minimal checkout for his instructor and told him whatever he did, let his student land the plane as his student already knew what how to handle a tailwheel.

Yes, the Chief will fly well at gross at your low altitudes, even during the summer. No ball of fire, but not dangerously underpowered even with an A-65.

-Cub Builder

Thanks everyone.
    Hello AJ60, where in MN are you located?

just east of Fargo about an hour