Thread: Online is ruining magazine

Online is ruining magazine

I like a paper magazine. Sport Aviation, Kitplanes, COPA, AOPA. I get them all.
    I also get all the online versions, well, not AOPA. They charge extra for the online version. (why is that)?
    I find that now I don't spend the time with the printed magazine. I've allready seen all the articles.
    The news is always wayyy outdated. Avweb and all the others keep me up to date by the day and sometimes by the hour.
    I hope paper copies dont disappear.
    I give my old ones to the local hospitol and Drs clinic. They disappear pretty regularily.
    It would be a shame if that stopped.

Ray

I was engaged in the production of aviation magazines 10 years.
    I published his own magazine five years.
    I also published catalogs of light aircraft (and not only the lungs).
    But we in Ukraine and Russia to publish the magazine even more difficult.
    And now I stop the work.
    http://20151.umi.ru/katalogi_kalenda...rnaly_knigi/3/
    http://20151.umi.ru/katalogi_kalenda...rnaly_knigi/2/
    Name:  obloga ???????? 07-08_end.jpg
Views: 925
Size:  59.9 KB
    Name:  Oblozhka ????????9-10.jpg
Views: 965
Size:  74.0 KB
    Name:  ????????????? 7-8-2010??.jpg
Views: 925
Size:  70.0 KB
    Best regards, Vladimir Meglinsky
    My site: http://propeller.mozello.com/

Ray: Print media is outdated. I like it too, but younger people do not read print sources. Many don't read at all. I have three children in their 30s and none subscribe to a newspaper. As you note, electronic sources are replacing newspapers and magazines. News in print form is old news. Even the national newscasts on radio and television are redundant. I watch the evening news and think to my self, "I've already heard this!" Laptops have replaced desktop computers and I-phones have replaced both. It's a different world and society. Some changes are great, others not so much. There's no going back. Don
    Last edited by dewi8095; 01-25-2016 at 06:49 AM.

Even the newspapers have given up resistance. I griped to Dow Jones about their shoddy delivery of my (paper) WSJ which I don't think since I started subscribing I've gone an entire week with getting a paper every day that one was published. They're great answer was I could just go read it online. Not so easy taking it with you on the bus/subway.

I'll glance at the online Sport Aviation, but then take the print version to work and read it during lunch hour.

My brother in law is in the pulp research business and he says they are changing rapidly. Newsprint is gone and they are working on toilet tissue. I don't have the heart to tell him I just bought one of those add on bidets.

Ray

Well whatever squirts your skirt! Our local village library is going great guns and just had to add on to accommodate more shelving for books. They also have a deal where patrons with library cards can go to the library's website and download e-books. They also have a huge DVD and audiobook collection, so thanks to them, I don't need Netflicks and I have plenty to listen to when on a long road trip. While it's true a lot of people don't sit and read print media, most of them relied on TV for news and entertainment and now turn to digital media. I don't think any of us will survive long enough to see the demise of the printed word.
    For EAAers who would rather not get Sport Aviation in their mail, they can request a no print magazine membership and just download it. There's no discount on dues for not receiving the magazine, like there used to be, though...

While I love my laptop, iPad and iPhone...there is still something neat about printed magazines that I love over seeing it on my iPad. I much prefer my printed copies of Sport Aviation and AOPA Pilot. Unless there is something really special that I want to keep a copy for, I will either pass my old magazines on to friends or take them out to the pilot shack at our little airport so others can enjoy them.