Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 2016 participants

2016 participants

Hi all,

I know the season between Thanksgiving and Christmas is a holiday season, but I'm surprised no one's commented yet on the first display team to be announced for this year's AirVenture, viz. the Snowbirds (and on 2017's team, the Blue Angels). It'll be very nice to see those CT-114's at Oshkosh, although as with the team announced for last year, I'm a bit concerned about the crowdline (but since the crowdline wasn't going to have to be moved for the Breitling Jet Team, I'm hoping the same will be true for the Snowbirds).

At any rate, I'm looking forward to other announcements. And maybe I'll throw in a couple of suggestions:
    - the C-97 of the Berlin Airlift Historical Flight is apparently close to its first flight after restoration. If they decide to come to Oshkosh, and 'Doc' or 'Fifi' too, then I hope the EAA will put pressure on NASA to bring their Super Guppy to complete the triumvirate;
    - with Boeing's centenary apparently to be celebrated at AirVenture (among others), I hope everyone will think big - symbolically but also literally. Here's hoping Addison Pemberton will return in his Boeing 40, and that one or more of the
    Boeing 100/F4B/P12’s being (re-)built in Nevada will be ready too. But the really memorable big-ness would be to have an historical or special representative of each of the Boeing airliners turn up every day. Some of the representatives I'm thinking of: John Travolta's 707 (if it's still flying) or the ultra-rare N404PA; the Zero-G 727; Lockheed Martin's 737 CATbird; either the NASA 747SP or one or better still all of the RR/GE/PW test 747’s (one of which is the oldest airworthy one); Boeing's own 757 Catfish; ... Lastly, too bad we won't be able to enjoy a visit from the Boeing 247 anymore, as I understand Boeing doesn't fly that anymore (weak undercarriage).

I'm sure you can think of (or know of) possible other participants?

Roger

Byron J. Covey
    Quote Originally Posted by Roger Janssens View Post
    Hi all,

I know the season between Thanksgiving and Christmas is a holiday season, but I'm surprised no one's commented yet on the first display team to be announced for this year's AirVenture, viz. the Snowbirds (and on 2017's team, the Blue Angels). .......

I'm sure you can think of (or know of) possible other participants?

Roger
    The Snowbirds are a good formation team, as they should be, given their sponsorship.

I would like to see experiemntal aircraft showcased during the week days rather than have a traditional airshow. The traditional airshow could run on Saturday and Sunday for the general public audience and members who
    like airshows.

BJC

I was ecstatic to see the Snowbirds are coming back to Oshkosh. I know it is 7 months away but I am already excited about EAA 2016!!

Lastly, too bad we won't be able to enjoy a visit from the Boeing 247 anymore, as I understand Boeing doesn't fly that anymore (weak undercarriage).
    That aircraft is owned by the Museum of Flight, not Boeing. It's grounding is insurance and financial related, not structural. It will have one last flight in 2016 when it's repositioned from Paine Field to Boeing Field and put into the new Air Park being built by the Museum.

Quote Originally Posted by smutny View Post
    That aircraft is owned by the Museum of Flight, not Boeing. It's grounding is insurance and financial related, not structural.
    Happy to be corrected on both counts, smutny! Still sad to see it turned into a static exhibit though. I plan to spend two weeks in the Pacific North West prior to AirVenture this year (hoping to start with the Arlington fly-in), but I don't suppose I will be lucky enough to witness that last flight...

And, Byron J. Covey, it looks like your wish has come true - Snowbirds displaying on Saturday and Sunday only, so a whole week to show off flying X-1's, X-15's, etc. :-)

Byron J. Covey
    And, Byron J. Covey, it looks like your wish has come true - Snowbirds displaying on Saturday and Sunday only, so a whole week to show off flying X-1's, X-15's, etc. :-)
    Wouldn't that (the X- series) be fun to see!

I enjoyed the early fly ins /conventions where one could sit and watch a dozen Pitts Specials, EAABiplanes, Stardusters, Mongs, etc., in the circuit, followed by MM's, T-18's, Tailwinds, etc.

BJC

Happy to be corrected on both counts, smutny! Still sad to see it turned into a static exhibit though. I plan to spend two weeks in the Pacific North West prior to AirVenture this year (hoping to start with the Arlington fly-in), but I don't suppose I will be lucky enough to witness that last flight...
    Picked a good time to visit the PNW, lots going on in July.

The 247, and the #1 727, will be flown down to BFI (probably) in the April/May timeframe.

Would love to see a B-1 back again, it has been awhile! Are there any F-117's still flying or have they all been retired and mothballed?

Quote Originally Posted by krw920 View Post
    Are there any F-117's still flying or have they all been retired and mothballed?
    There are no F-117's officially flying at this time.

Quote Originally Posted by smutny View Post
    There are no F-117's officially flying at this time.
    They are still flying. They are mothballed in temperature controlled hangars and maintained. I don't know the frequency, but a certain number of them are flown to maintain airworthiness.
    --
    Bob Leffler
    RV-10 Flying
    www.mykitlog.com/rleffler