Thread: Component storage

Component storage

We've got all the tail components wrapped in bubble wrap due to a cross country move. Will storing them like that in an insulated garage cause corrosion?

Not sure about the corrosion part, but I had some parts sitting on top of bubble wrap in my hangar for a good while. When I went to use the parts, the bubble wrap had stained (for lack of a better word) the aluminum. I could not get the stains off. Of course paint covered it up, and they had been in a hot Arizona hangar. Hope this helps.
    Glenn Brasch
    KRYN Tucson, Arizona
    2013 RV-9A
    Medevac helicopter pilot (Ret)
    EAA member since 1980
    Owner, "Airport Courtesy Cars" website.
    www.airportcourtesycars.com
    Volunteer Mentor www.SoAZTeenAviation.org

Quote Originally Posted by Mike B View Post
    We've got all the tail components wrapped in bubble wrap due to a cross country move. Will storing them like that in an insulated garage cause corrosion?
    I'd get them out of the bubble wrap. Potentially, water could condense on the aluminum, run off onto the plastic, and create little pools of corrosion causing dihydrogen monoxide against the skins.

I can see the bubble "cooking" and leaving marks on the aluminum from the heat.That is what I'm thinking, the bubble wrap will cause the aluminum to sweat in the temperature changes trapping the moisture under it.

If I could offer my humble opinion, I have several sheets of aluminum in my shop that have been sitting exposed for many years, just a quilt over them. Except for some dust, they are in good shape. Aluminum used on aircraft has a coating on it unless it is some off brand stuff. Should be fine with a blanket over them Bill

Quote Originally Posted by skyfixer8 View Post
    If I could offer my humble opinion, I have several sheets of aluminum in my shop that have been sitting exposed for many years, just a quilt over them. Except for some dust, they are in good shape. Aluminum used on aircraft has a coating on it unless it is some off brand stuff. Should be fine with a blanket over them Bill
    I think this is what I'm going to do next time we have a building session.

Quote Originally Posted by skyfixer8 View Post
    I buy cotton sheets from the local thrift store for a couple bucks apiece, wash them without using fabric softener and dry them with high heat. It keeps the dust off the parts in storage but will not trap moisture.

That's a good idea, it would prevent scratching also if parts had to be moved.