Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Repairman certificate

Repairman certificate

Can an individual that purchases a kit built aircraft from someone, get a repairman certificate to do his own annual and repairs?

Quote Originally Posted by crawford View Post
    Can an individual that purchases a kit built aircraft from someone, get a repairman certificate to do his own annual and repairs?
    If an RC has ever been issued for an EAB aircraft, then the answer is no, as only ONE RC can ever be issued for a give aircraft. But if you purchase a partially built kit/project that has never had an RC issued and can demonstrate knowledge of the aircraft to the DAR/FAA, then they can issue an RC for that aircraft to you.

The RC (or an A&P - no IA necessary) is ONLY necessary to sign off the Condition Inspection - other than that, ANYONE can do ANY work on ANY EAB aircraft.

Quote Originally Posted by crawford View Post
    As long as no repairman certificate has been issued for that aircraft AND you can convince your local FSDO that you have sufficient knowledge of the construction of said aircraft to properly maintain it, you can get the repaimans certificate. It's easy if you are buying an unfinished aircraft because you can take photos of yourself working on the unfinished aircraft, which is usually the "proof" FSDO wants to see. It's more challenging if you are buying a completed flying aircraft, but can be done. When I built my SuperCub, I purposely did not get the Repairman Certificate since I can maintain it under my A&P license. That leaves the next owner eligible to get the repairmans certificate if he can convince FSDO he has sufficient knowledge. -Cub Builder

How does one find out if a repairman certificate as been issued for a particular homebuilt? The original builder of mine is deceased, and I am the 3rd owner.

What do the logbooks show? If the original builder signed off his own annuals, then he must have had the certificate (and it will show the number). If an A&P signed off the annuals, he probably didn't (though why he wouldn't, I can't imagine).

Quote Originally Posted by Marc Zeitlin View Post
    But if you purchase a partially built kit/project that has never had an RC issued and can demonstrate knowledge of the aircraft to the DAR/FAA, then they can issue an RC for that aircraft to you.
    Here's a slightly different scenario. A few years ago I purchased an aircraft that was pretty much a basket case. It's been stripped to the frame and I'm hoping to finish re-building it in the next year or two. No Repairman Certificate has been issued. Assuming I provide documentation of this project, can I apply for and receive a Repairman Certificate?
    Someday I'll come up with something profound to put here.

Quote Originally Posted by Anymouse View Post
    Here's a slightly different scenario. A few years ago I purchased an aircraft that was pretty much a basket case. It's been stripped to the frame and I'm hoping to finish re-building it in the next year or two. No Repairman Certificate has been issued. Assuming I provide documentation of this project, can I apply for and receive a Repairman Certificate?
    I assume you're discussing an EAB aircraft here. If no RC has ever been issued for it, then yes - you can apply for one. If you can show to the FAA's satisfaction that you are knowledgeable enough (where who knows what "enough" is defined as in the FAA's world) then there's no reason they shouldn't issue you an RC. I will say, though, that people get fixated on getting the RC for and EAB aircraft, and it's really just NOT that important (and I say that as an A&P that will have signed off 14 CI's this year, and 30 over the past three). The ONLY thing the RC lets you do is sign off the CI, and that's just not a huge part of the maintenance or care of the aircraft, and not a huge part of the cost, either. All I'm saying is that don't let whether or not you can get the RC on a particular aircraft be the determining factor in whether you take on the project or not - if it's the plane for you, then do it, whether or not you can get the RC for it.My $0.02.

Quote Originally Posted by Marc Zeitlin View Post
    I assume you're discussing an EAB aircraft here. If no RC has ever been issued for it, then yes - you can apply for one. If you can show to the FAA's satisfaction that you are knowledgeable enough (where who knows what "enough" is defined as in the FAA's world) then there's no reason they shouldn't issue you an RC. I will say, though, that people get fixated on getting the RC for and EAB aircraft, and it's really just NOT that important (and I say that as an A&P that will have signed off 14 CI's this year, and 30 over the past three). The ONLY thing the RC lets you do is sign off the CI, and that's just not a huge part of the maintenance or care of the aircraft, and not a huge part of the cost, either. All I'm saying is that don't let whether or not you can get the RC on a particular aircraft be the determining factor in whether you take on the project or not - if it's the plane for you, then do it, whether or not you can get the RC for it.My $0.02.
    The knowledge level applied to get your RC for this aircraft should be the same as that of the original builder. Photo document the aircraft while torn down to it's smallest pieces. Make sure you have several photos that include YOU working on it while in it's smallest pieces, and during all phases of the rebuild. That SHOULD satisfy an airworthiness inspector that you have sufficient knowledge to tear the aircraft down to it's smallest pieces, inspect it, and rebuild it. That should suffice.

For the original builder, the Airworthiness Inspector usually requires that there be at least one photograph of you working on the aircraft at some point before it is ready to fly. If you exceed that level of documentation, you should be fine.

-Cub Builder

Having requisite knowledge of the aircraft is only part of the puzzle.

The FAA 8900.1 inspector handbook, http://fsims.faa.gov/PICDetail.aspx?...Vol.5,Ch5,Sec5 , says only the primary builder is eligible for a repairman certificate.

Under the paragraph of eligibility it makes qualifying statements to define primary builder. For example, it says an individual working alone must build the major portion of the aircraft. If built by a group, only one person of the group is eligible for a repairman certificate.

The FAA inspector handbook makes no reference to "rebuilding" an E/AB aircraft. If you use the original dataplate, it usually has the primary builder's name engraved and reference to the primary builder in the documents. I think one would have to qualify for a repairman certificate in the same manner as the original builder. My advice would be work with an FAA ASI to ascertain a rebuild will qualify one as eligible for a repairman certificate before making formal application. Making false testimony to the FAA carries an unpleasant penalty.
    Last edited by martymayes; 12-18-2015 at 10:01 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by martymayes View Post
    Having requisite knowledge of the aircraft is only part of the puzzle.

The FAA inspector handbook makes no reference to "rebuilding" an E/AB aircraft. If you use the original dataplate, it usually has the primary builder's name engraved and reference to the primary builder in the documents. I think one would have to qualify for a repairman certificate in the same manner as the original builder. My advice would be work with an FAA ASI to ascertain a rebuild will qualify one as eligible for a repairman certificate before making formal application. Making false testimony to the FAA carries an unpleasant penalty.
    Good points Marty. As always, you should have a discussion with an inspector at your local FSDO before you spend your $$.

Often times it's a crap shoot of who you get at FSDO as to whether you can get things done or not, but that's the FAA we live with. If you know a particular inspector at your local FSDO that has a reputation for working with builders and pilots to accomplish things, it's best to start with that particular Inspector. If his answer is that you can't do it, then there's your answer. One thing I've found with the good folks at FSDO is that nearly every FAR is subject to local interpretation and the handbooks are further subject to interpretation by the individual inspectors. Sometimes that's a good thing, and sometimes it's not. I've had experiences both ways with FSDO.

-Cub Builder