Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: RV7

RV7

Son is building with me helping a Vans RV7. He has in hand a Continental IO360 from a Cessna Skymaster. We both know that the RV was designed and the only engine VANS recommends is the Lycoming. We've asked on the Vans forum page, but didn't get any help as anything other a Lycoming is mostly frowned upon. He is looking for a constant speed prop maybe around 74" for that engine but is not having to much success. Can anyone recommend a prop to use? Thanks Mike B

The Continental IO-360 is quite a bit heavier than the recommended Lycoming, hence the resistance to using it. If you do plan to use it, I'd look at lightweight composite props to help offset the weight, but even that might not be enough. Something like Aerocomposites or Whirlwind. Good luck.
    Jeff Point
    RV-6 and RLU-1 built & flying
    Tech Counselor, Flight Advisor & President, EAA Chapter 18
    Milwaukee, WI
    "It All Started Here!"

The Cessna 172XP (R172E) had a 76" McCauley CS prop on it, according to the TCDS: http://rgl.faa.gov/Regulatory_and_Gu...5?OpenDocument Might be a good place to start for compatibility, but will likely be heavy, as suggested.
    Christopher Owens (EAA #808438, VAA #723276)
    Germantown, WI
    Bearhawk Plans #991, Bearhawk Patrol Plans #P313

I would also check with Catto and see what they have, or recommend.
    Glenn Brasch
    KRYN Tucson, Arizona
    2013 RV-9A
    Medevac helicopter pilot (Ret)
    EAA member since 1980
    Owner, "Airport Courtesy Cars" website.
    www.airportcourtesycars.com
    Volunteer Mentor www.SoAZTeenAviation.org

Byron J. Covey
    That is a popular engine in the modified Swift. You might find some info by searching Swift Mods.

BJC

Thanks for the input, I'll pass it along.

Quote Originally Posted by Chris In Marshfield View Post
    The Cessna 172XP (R172E) had a 76" McCauley CS prop on it, according to the TCDS: http://rgl.faa.gov/Regulatory_and_Gu...5?OpenDocument Might be a good place to start for compatibility, but will likely be heavy, as suggested.
    I have flown both the 172XP & a 180 HP 172 with the Lycoming, I can tell you there is a night & day difference, the Continental is way smoother running. If the weight penalty isn't too great I would consider using it.

I would second the motion for Catto. I have been flying behind a Catto 3 blade for 11 years in my IO-360-A3B6D powered RV-8. Super smooth, light (17 lbs), and Craig hit the pitch/diameter numbers bang on as I get 190 kts at 2700 RPM. I can tool around at about 150 kts, 2300 rpm, 2000' burning about 7.9 gph.
    -------------------
    Mark
    EAA 367635
    President EAA 245

1979 Maule M5-235C C-GJFK
    RV-8 C-GURV (Sold)
    Bearhawk #1078 C-GPFG (under construction)

Seems to me that I got a note from a friend yesterday about Pat Panzera having a two-blade constant-speed McCauley Propeller D2AF34R59-A for a Continental IO-360, asking $1500. Pat is associated with EAA and is editor of Contact! magazine, so I'm sure you can find him. Also a runout engine with no logs for $4500. As others have stated, the Continental IO-360 is a fine engine, but a bit long and heavy for the RV. Of course others convert the RVs to Harmon Rockets and mount an IO-540 on them, so of course the IO-360 can be installed and will work. Just make sure you guys get the CG right and watch the gross weight. -Cub Builder

I don't want to dissuade you but make sure you're aware of what you're in for using the Continental. If the matched hole/snap-together aspect of the RV-7 is an attraction then this kind of mod can drive you crazy. You will potentially need to engineer and fabricate everything FWF. The mount is critical since it contains the main gear mounting. The position of the engine/prop CG, thrust line and rear accessory clearance are factors. The cowling may not fit. All firewall penetrations and mounting may need to change. You won't be able to use the RV-7 plans. I even used the RV-7 firewall plans for my second RV-6 to simplify my life for those items. If you've got your eyes wide open then more power to you, go for it. That's what "Experimental" is all about.
    Regards,
    Greg Young
    1950 Navion N5221K
    RV-6 N6GY - first flight 5/16/2021
    1940 Rearwin Cloudster in work
    4 L-2 projects on deck