Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Fabric rejuvinator question

Quote Originally Posted by iterk View Post
    Please note that , while 'rattle can' paint will usually give a nice finish it is virtually always enamel paint. That said it means that anything you have to do from then on must be 'on top' of that enamel and done ​with enamel and MEK based adhesives. There is no rejuvination and 'blending' is a matter of getting a very thin coat on the edge of a repair. There will likely be tape lines etc. as the enamel (by definition) can not 'melt' into that enamel.

A BIG issue here is that any glued on fabric repairs depend on the adhesion of those base layers of paint. I would not trust a large area fabric patch glued to enamel... You will have to sand through the enamel to get the adhesive to bond to the fabric and it should (and on certified aircraft, must, per the STC's).

Today's paints (in 'rattle cans') run the whole gambit of flexibility and chemical base. Most WILL stick well to Ceconite (dope) or Poly Fiber processes as the solvents DO melt the base dope. The drawback is that as the base paints (especially the dopes) continue to dry/age they will shrink. As that happens you run a risk of having the whole thing start to shear off the Dacron fabric. This doe not happen for MANY, MANY YEARS.. but it is where the stories come from. Dacron is touted as"lifetime" fabric, and it may be but most airplanes, especially those built with homebuilders 'stuff (plywood, wood ribs wood spars, etc.) need to be uncovered and inspected after 15-20 years....or 30 or? LOL.. depending on the quality of the material used.

Just remember, once you have enamel on you will have poor luck getting dope (including the Poly Fiber products) to stay on over it.

KEEP 'EM FLYING!

I did not use enamel paint and I rattle can. This was a two part paint. Meaning you had to induce the hardener into the paint. It was a poly paint. The paint I show that I am beating on has been on this airplane for 5 years with over 250 hrs of use time. Closer to 300 hrs of use time on it.

I show the can but you can add any paint or the paint of your choice to this can.

Name:  SAM_5636.jpg
Views: 641
Size:  83.8 KB
    Last edited by 1600vw; 06-23-2016 at 09:34 AM.