Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Pbr 2

Oh, don't be so negative, Tony! If it passes, you no longer need a 3rd class medical, unless the FAA gets wind of your last heart attack, 300+ cholesterol count, or epileptic seizure: then they can require you to provide more information...easily provided by a 3rd class medical exam. Hah!

So, stay away from fast food, eat healthy, get lots of exercise, keep your BMI and cholesterol down, don't get caught driving drunk, and you can keep on flying as a private pilot with your drivers license. Maybe this gives you personally nothing, Tony, but it gives the rest of us a great deal!

Quote Originally Posted by crusty old aviator View Post
    Oh, don't be so negative, Tony! If it passes, you no longer need a 3rd class medical, unless the FAA gets wind of your last heart attack, 300+ cholesterol count, or epileptic seizure: then they can require you to provide more information...easily provided by a 3rd class medical exam. Hah!

So, stay away from fast food, eat healthy, get lots of exercise, keep your BMI and cholesterol down, don't get caught driving drunk, and you can keep on flying as a private pilot with your drivers license. Maybe this gives you personally nothing, Tony, but it gives the rest of us a great deal!
    The current medical system is a screen for those that might be guilty. Once suspected, proving medical fitness to the FAA is a guilty until proven innocent deal and many pilots give up trying to prove their innocence and move on. There's nothing wrong, they just can't prove it or can't afford to prove it to the FAA.

It will give a lot of people a break. I've quit trying to prove to the FAA that I'm fit to fly, at least for now. I'm taking an non reviewed drug and the hope of even getting it reviewed is pretty low at the moment. I could fly LSA, but building is long and buying or renting are really expensive in the LSA world. For me, PBOR2 represents my best hope of getting back in the air soon.

I do not understand the requirement for a valid medical within the last ten years, or nine years or even five years. If this is to be a program that allows flying with only a driver's license then it should not have any further restrictions, especially historical requirements.

By who and and for what reason was ten years selected? Who needed to be satisfied by this requirement?

A commercial pilot died at the controls recently. What was the value of his one year old medical in determining that he was fit to fly.

Another pilot became incapacitated at the controls of an airliner. Did his medical foresee this eventuality?

We all self certify each and every time we are about to take the controls of an aircraft. We most certainly are in a better position at that time to determine if we are healthy enough to fly than would be indicated by a ten year old medical.

The airlines certainly should not have any concern about self certificated pilots flying aircraft under 6000 pounds. When they apply for and are accepted for an airline job they will have to have passed the requisite medical review.

We do not hear of the death or illness of a pilot that holds a medical unless he is part of our close group of pilots.

Lyle
    Last edited by lyleapgmc; 02-01-2016 at 02:33 PM.

Byron J. Covey
    Quote Originally Posted by lyleapgmc View Post
    I do not understand the requirement for a valid medical within the last ten years, or nine years or even five years. ....
    Remember, Lyle, that we are talking about the USA Congress, aka "the best politicians that money can buy".

Wish it were different ....

BJC

Quote Originally Posted by Byron J. Covey View Post
    Remember, Lyle, that we are talking about the USA Congress, aka "the best politicians that money can buy".

Wish it were different ....
    BJC
    I want a $175,000 a year part time jobs with huge benefites such as members of Congress have.

If they were all volunteers they would do a better job.

Lyle

Byron J. Covey
    I want a $175,000 a year part time jobs with huge benefites such as members of Congress have.

Lyle
    I had a good friend, a pilot, homebuilder, inventor, entrepreneur and very successful businessman. He believed, and I now agree, that citizens selected at random to serve in Congress would do a better job than what we have under the current system.

BJC

I do not understand the requirement for a valid medical within the last ten years, or nine years or even five years. If this is to be a program that allows flying with only a driver's license then it should not have any further restrictions, especially historical requirements.

By who and and for what reason was ten years selected? Who needed to be satisfied by this requirement?
    My guess is this: There are a handful of medical conditions that the FAA will never allow a pilot to have, but generally speaking they do not manifest themselves overnight. If a pilot has passed his medical in the last 10 years the probability of him having one of those conditions is pretty small.

IIRC, it was one of the congresscritters who demanded it be added.

Actually, with the costs of holding the office (having to maintain residencies in both the home state and Washington DC), if the job didn't have a salary, all officeholders would have to have another source of income. This is not necessarily a good thing.

Ron Wanttaja

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Switzer View Post
    My guess is this: There are a handful of medical conditions that the FAA will never allow a pilot to have, but generally speaking they do not manifest themselves overnight. If a pilot has passed his medical in the last 10 years the probability of him having one of those conditions is pretty small.
    Yes, and they covered that handful of medical conditions by requiring an SI for them even under the proposed new rules.

Quote Originally Posted by DaleB View Post
    Yes, and they covered that handful of medical conditions by requiring an SI for them even under the proposed new rules.
    I'm talking about the conditions that you can't get an SI for. If you could just go & fly with nothing but a drivers license you know some of those people would try.