Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Pbr 2

Well that is good to know. It may actually be useful to me.

If you go to AOPA.org and read the comments section, apparently there are a lot of unhappy people with the addition that no one read about the visit to the doctors every 4 years.Bill

Quote Originally Posted by skyfixer8 View Post
    If you go to AOPA.org and read the comments section, apparently there are a lot of unhappy people with the addition that no one read about the visit to the doctors every 4 years.Bill
    I don't like the addition of the form for the Dr to fill out, but everyone SHOULD be seeing a Dr on a regular basis and a check up every 4 years is not, in my opinion, an unreasonable requirement. According to the bill, the form is only supposed to go into your log book and is not mailed back into the FAA. I can see the FAA changing that to require a copy be sent to them and trying to stick their proverbial "Camel's nose under the tent flap." Personally, I have always had a physical with my own physician every 2 years, and now that I'm about to turn 60, I do a physical with my Dr annually. Quite frankly, the problem isn't the bi-annual third class physical. That is not time consuming and not all that expensive. The problem is the cost of all the additional testing and the suspension of flight privileges while in the process of getting a special issuance for anyone with a less than perfect health record, which will at some age, eventually include every pilot. It's the time, aggravation and cost of the ever ongoing special issuance that drives many pilots out of aviation. The thrust behind this bill is to allow pilots to see their own Drs for proper health care without getting dragged into the FAAs special issuance repetitive nightmare. I personally know of a number of pilots that have conditions that go untreated because they don't want a diagnosis that will drag them into the FAAs special issuance nonsense. I would much rather these pilots seek treatment for those conditions without the FAA threatening to suspend their flight privileges while they pay for a bunch of unnecessary testing to meet the FAAs demands for a special issuance. This bill in its current form accomplishes that goal. -Cub Builder

According to the web site "govtrack.us" the prognosis is that this bill now has a 25% chance of being enacted. It is now sitting on Senate Calendar #319 with 70 co-sponsors. What can we do to get it moved up for a vote by the Senate and House? Do we need to mount another email and phone call effort with our Senators and Representatives?

PBOR2 has made it through the Senate. House is next. Fingers crossed. AOPA just put it up.Bill

Last minute addition to the Bill, Amdt. 2928

There was a last minute Amendment SA2928 by Sen. Feinstein that was added to the Senate version. I can't find the full text, but has something to do with "physician certification".UPDATE: Found this, ".....language was added requiring the physician to certify that he or she is not aware of any medical condition that, as it is currently being treated, would interfere with the ability to fly safely."
    Last edited by Gunslinger37; 12-16-2015 at 07:55 AM.

The amendment modifies the physicians statement from
    (iv) to sign the checklist, stating: “I certify that I discussed all items on this checklist with the individual during my examination, discussed any medications the individual is taking that could interfere with their ability to safely operate an aircraft or motor vehicle, and performed an examination that included all of the items on this checklist.”; and...(iv) a certification by the individual that the checklist described in subsection (b) was followed in the comprehensive medical examination required in subsection (a)(7); and
    to
    (iv) to sign the checklist, stating: “I certify that I discussed all items on this checklist with the individual during my examination, discussed any medications the individual is taking that could interfere with their ability to safely operate an aircraft or motor vehicle, and performed an examination that included all of the items on this checklist. I certify that I am not aware of any medical condition that, as presently treated, could interfere with the individual’s ability to safely operate an aircraft.”; and...(iv) a certification by the individual that the checklist described in subsection (b) was followed and signed by the physician in the comprehensive medical examination required in subsection (a)(7); and
    and adds this:
    (l) Authority To Require Additional Information.— (1) IN GENERAL.—If the Administrator receives credible or urgent information, including from the National Driver Register or the Administrator’s Safety Hotline, that reflects on an individual’s ability to safely operate a covered aircraft under the third-class medical certificate exemption in subsection (a), the Administrator may require the individual to provide additional information or history so that the Administrator may determine whether the individual is safe to continue operating a covered aircraft. (2) USE OF INFORMATION.—The Administrator may use credible or urgent information received under paragraph (1) to request an individual to provide additional information or to take actions under section 44709(b) of title 49, United States Code.

This subject has gone very quiet. Nothing on the AOPA nor EAA web sites for the past 6 weeks. No recent activity on the Congress.gov web site for H.R.1062 and H.R.1086. We would like to hear from the EAA Advocacy staff with an update from Washington.

The attached article from the February Sport Aviation (online here) sums up where we currently stand. Passage in the House will come down to having the right strategy and taking the right opportunity, and right now we are working hard to lay the groundwork.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Tom Charpentier
    Government Relations Director
    EAA Lifetime #1082006 | Vintage #722921

It sounds like they have rewritten this bill so much that it looks nothing like the original draft. This bill was to copy SP for PP. Nothing about this bill follows SP. It was also suppose to be more like a drivers license and how we drive our cars and trucks. When did we start needing a medical every 4 years to drive? I know, don't complain and be happy. The new America of today.

If this passes, they gave you nothing.