Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: Pbr 2

Article today in Aero-News by Gene Yarbrough.

You can bet that Gene will be getting a FAA Ramp Check after they read this.

http://www.aero-news.net/index.cfm?d...9-cc1367cdc42d

British CAA is making the change to private pilot medicals this summer. Why can't our FAA move forward on this issue?

https://www.caa.co.uk/News/Changes-t...nts-announced/

Also, the U.S. Senate has added PRB2 to a Defense Funding Bill that moved from committee to the floor for a vote. This is a third path to becoming law.

Quote Originally Posted by Gunslinger37 View Post
    Also, the U.S. Senate has added PRB2 to a Defense Funding Bill that moved from committee to the floor for a vote.
    Alas, this is not true. While the NDAA has had the PBOR2 added to it, it has NOT been reported out of the Armed Services committee yet. I checked minutes ago to see what form of the PBOR2 was attached.

Amendments to PBOR2 in NDAA

The Senate is in the process of debating the National Defense Authorization Act (which has PBOR2 buried in Title XXXIII of the NDAA), and amendments are coming in. Yesterday, Sen. Blumenthal submitted two amendments to Title XXXIII of the The Pilot?s Bill of Rights 2.

The first adds a provision directing the FAA to establish minimum levels of Liability Insurance. The second amendment appears to do away with PBOR2, it strikes the title all together and replaces it with two brief provisions which seem to require sport pilots flying without a current medical to report their hours flown every six months so that th GAO can do a study.

Ted
    --------------------------
    SA 4494. Mr. BLUMENTHAL
    At the end of title XXXIII, add the following:
    SEC. 3308. RULEMAKING ESTABLISHING MINIMUM LIABILITY INSURANCE LEVELS FOR PILOTS.
    Not later than 180 days after the date of the enactment of this Act, the Administrator of the Federal Aviation Administration shall initiate a rulemaking to establish minimum levels of liability insurance for any pilot covered under this title.
    --------------------------------------------------------
    SA 4495. Mr. BLUMENTHAL
    Strike title XXXIII and insert the following:
    TITLE XXXIII--EXEMPTION FROM MEDICAL CERTIFICATION REQUIREMENTS
    SEC. 3301. REPORTING BY PILOTS EXEMPT FROM MEDICAL CERTIFICATION REQUIREMENTS.
    Not later than 180 days after the date of the enactment of this Act, the Secretary of Transportation shall require any pilot who is exempt from medical certification requirements to submit, not less frequently than once every 180 days, a report to the Department of Transportation that--
    (1) identifies the pilot's status as an active pilot; and
    (2) includes a summary of the pilot's recent flight hours.
    SEC. 3302. GOVERNMENT ACCOUNTABILITY OFFICE REPORT ASSESSING EFFECT ON PUBLIC SAFETY OF EXEMPTION FOR SPORT PILOTS FROM REQUIREMENT FOR A MEDICAL CERTIFICATE.
    Not later than 2 years after the date of the enactment of this Act, the Comptroller General of the United States shall submit a report to the Committee on Commerce, Science, and Transportation of the Senate and the Committee on Transportation and Infrastructure of the House of Representatives that assesses the effect of section 61.23(c)(ii) of title 14, Code of Federal Regulations (permitting a person to exercise the privileges of a sport pilot certificate without holding a medical certificate), on public safety since 2004.
    Last edited by TedK; 06-08-2016 at 11:26 AM.

That sounds as if it is a prelude to eliminating the driver's license exception. A real step backwards. The insurance requirement, if it survives, would likely mean I give up flying also.

Quote Originally Posted by Wilfred View Post
    That sounds as if it is a prelude to eliminating the driver's license exception. A real step backwards. The insurance requirement, if it survives, would likely mean I give up flying also.
    I believe many will follow suit or do the same. To think we have those that celebrate this bill. People want change..here it is...

I didn't read that at all. I read that as a Sport Pilot every 6 months I have to go online and fill out a form saying how many hours I flew.

This is a hassle for me but a good thing for Private Pilots who want to eventually get rid of the Class III medical entirely. Right now we know that Sport Pilots haven't had any (that I'm aware of) wrecks due to medical incapacitation. The number of Private Pilots flying under Sport Pilot rules is a complete statistical mystery. This will build a database of hours flown versus incidents and accidents; it will also show if flight hours increase with the relaxation of the medical requirements for Private Pilots.

The insurance requirement concerns me. If they jack up the minimum liability coverage too high that could price me out of flying. I don't need hull insurance - my plane is too inexpensive to make it financially reasonable to pay premiums on - but I don't really need some super duper mega coverage for stuff on the ground, either.
    The opinions and statements of this poster are largely based on facts and portray a possible version of the actual events.

Blumenthal's amendments have been submitted but not yet accepted.

This is where you get hot and send an email to your two Senators telling them, "Vote No to Senate Amendment 4494 and 4495 to S. 2493"

Yes, you!

Now! Time is a wasting...or would you rather take another flight physical?

Two issues here
    1) I may be old fashioned about these things, but this amendment is not appropriate in a National Defense Authorization Act. It should be in the Transportation legislation or some separate Act.
    2) It is almost certain that the President will veto the Bill for other issues actually relating to Defense. This will require a massive overhaul of the entire work.

I will call to schedule my flight physical tomorrow.
    Chris Mayer
    N424AF
    www.o2cricket.com

It's an election year. PBOR will not be signed into law. Keep those membership dues and campaign donations coming in. Nor will it pass next year. Keep those membership dues and campaign donations coming in. Then it will be an election year again. Won't be signed into law. Keep those membership dues and campaign donations coming in. Yeah. I believe in the Tooth Fairy, too, his name is Richard Simmons................