Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Pbr 2

Pbr 2

Since the transportation bill passed yesterday, what is status of medical reform?

Dick B

I really can't verify this, but I don't think it was attached to the trasportation bill. Hopefully one of the experts at the EAA will provide an update.
    “It's the greatest shot of adrenaline to be doing what you have wanted to do so badly. You almost feel like you could fly without a plane.”

-Charles Lindbergh

Does this shock anyone. I think we all knew this was going nowhere. We hoped and had big wild dreams. But every one of us know how Washington works. It was never in the cards. Amazing they gave us Sport Pilot.

Tony

Quote Originally Posted by 1600vw View Post
    Does this shock anyone. I think we all knew this was going nowhere. We hoped and had big wild dreams. But every one of us know how Washington works. It was never in the cards. Amazing they gave us Sport Pilot.

Tony
    I think people are confusing the process. And hopefully someone can correct me because I am sure I will get this wrong.... The PBOR2, which is actually known as S.571 in the senate and H.R. 1062 in the House are stand alone pieces of legislation. Earlier this year there was a third attempt to get third class medical reform passed. That included attaching a provision for 3rd class reform to the Highway Bill. Unfortunately, at that time, congress chose to extend the existing highway bill rather than debate and vote on the new bill. So.... While things do not appear to be moving forward very quickly.... there are still several bills which are not dead, which would achieve 3rd class medical reform.
    “It's the greatest shot of adrenaline to be doing what you have wanted to do so badly. You almost feel like you could fly without a plane.”

-Charles Lindbergh

AOPA web page has the latest update on the Senate Committee action. Now scheduled for review on December 9th, and hopefully move it onto the Senate floor for a vote.

PBOR2 made it through Senate Transportation Committee this morning on a voice vote. More info will be coming out via AOPA and EAA soon. -Cub Builder

Is this accurate? This is considerably different from everything I have heard previously.

"Under PBOR2, most pilots who have held a valid third-class medical, either regular or special issuance, within the 10 years preceding the legislation’s enactment would never need to get another FAA medical exam. The rule would apply to pilots flying VFR or IFR in aircraft weighing up to 6,000 pounds and carrying up to five passengers at altitudes below 18,000 feet and speeds up to 250 knots. "

The last I heard was VFR only, limited to 180HP & one passenger.

I'm pretty sure that was the original attempt at this legislation that went away some time ago. The latest one is day/night, IFR/VFR, six seats, up to 6000 lbs.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Switzer View Post
    Is this accurate? This is considerably different from everything I have heard previously. "Under PBOR2, most pilots who have held a valid third-class medical, either regular or special issuance, within the 10 years preceding the legislation’s enactment would never need to get another FAA medical exam. The rule would apply to pilots flying VFR or IFR in aircraft weighing up to 6,000 pounds and carrying up to five passengers at altitudes below 18,000 feet and speeds up to 250 knots. "
    Yes, this is correct and what has been in the legislation all along.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike Switzer View Post
    The last I heard was VFR only, limited to 180HP & one passenger.
    This set of numbers came from the EAA/AOPA petition, which was tabled indefinitely in DOT. Remember 2 years ago when the FAA announced at Oshkosh they were going to do something about the third class medicals and we were going to really like it, but wouldn't say what? That was their work on the EAA/AOPA Petition. The FAA passed it on to the DOT for review. DOT dutifully moves the expected release date back every month, which is their way of refusing to move forward. So, EAA/AOPA started down the route of reforming the third class medicals via legislation. Senator Inhofe's legislation has always called for up to 6000# gross weight and up to 5 passengers, both VFR and IFR for a drivers license medical. The 6000# gross weight limit didn't just materialize out of thin air. 6000# gross weight is a DOT vehicle size rating between Class 1 and Class 2 vehicles. Also, 6000# is often times used by many states as the limit where a vehicle is licensed as a commercial vehicle regardless of whether it is used commercially or privately. Hope that helps make a little more sense of the legislation. -Cub Builder
    Last edited by cub builder; 12-10-2015 at 02:05 PM.